From Friend To Game | Teen Ink

From Friend To Game

By Austin_Ramsay BRONZE, Yuma, Arizona
Austin_Ramsay BRONZE, Yuma, Arizona

My name is Zach; I live in San Diego, California, and am a 7th grade student attending San Diego Middle School. My best friend and I go to the same school, are on the same soccer team, and even live on the same neighborhood. We have had a very good friendship since the third grade. Unlike me, my best friend, John, likes to do things outside all the time. We still manage to find things we both concur on though. My brother, just bought the new video game system, and I really want one.

When I finally earned enough money to buy one of my own, I ran down to the video game store. I pulled the last one off the shelf and walked towards the register, paid for it, and ran back home. I pushed the front door open, ran in to my room, and groped for the light switch. I opened it to find one of the best video game systems, still newly wrapped in silky plastic. I pulled it out of the box, ripped the plastic off, and plugged it in to my television. I had finally bought my own. As I went to turn the game system on, I heard the telephone ring. I walked toward the phone and sighed, then I looked at the caller ID, it was John. I asked myself if I should answer it, the phone rang again, and I picked it up.

“Hello?” I asked.

“Hey Zach, Do you want to play?” John asked.

“I can't right now, I have to do my homework.” I made up.

“Okay then, talk to you later.”

I hung up the phone and put it on the receiver. I ran back into my room and turned on the game system, and inserted the best game that had come with it. I played until the evening until about 6 o'clock, when someone rang the doorbell. I let out a sigh, and walked to the door. I turned the knob, and saw John standing there with a soccer ball. Then I heard him ask:

“Do you want to practice some soccer out in the field down the street?” He asked.

“No, sorry, I can't because I have chores to do.” I grumbled.

“Okay then I will see you at school tomorrow.” He said.

“Alright, bye.” I concluded with.

I went back to play a different game, and continued to play until I had to go to bed. Each day I answered the door to see John, and hear him ask if I wanted to play. I chose to keep playing my video game rather than go with him. A week had passed, and I started to get bored with the video game system. After school I chose to go home rather than stay and play on the school soccer field with John, as I had used to do. I noticed that John had stopped coming over. I decided to go see if he wanted to play, but he was not home, and his mom told me he was playing with a new kid he had met at school. I went back to my house and waited 2 more days until the phone rang.

It was John, and I picked up the phone. He wanted to know if I wanted to go see a movie with him tonight, and I said that would be fun and I asked my mom if I could go. I called John back and told him we could have my brother take us to the movie a little before the movie. He said that would be fine and I hung up the phone. I was mad at myself for letting myself lose my best friend, I thought I had lost him, but I hadn’t. In the evening, my brother drove us to the theater, and told us he would be back in 3 hours.

John and I walked into theater, and bought movie tickets. When the movie was over, they came out laughing and talking. I finally had to say, “Wow, friendship sure is better than some video game, or pretty much anything.” “Yeah, now I know how much better it is with both of us.” My brother drove up, and asked, “How was the movie?” “One of the best movies I have seen.” I replied.

on May. 20 2009 at 12:19 am
pandiNeverShoutNever, Yuma, Arizona

"Love The Love You Have."

- The Summer Set:)

ur the most perfect poet ever babe

i love u forever and always

<333

- sami<3