Banksy | Teen Ink

Banksy

“Where are we going dad?” John asked

“I’m going to show you my best masterpiece that I’ve been working on,” Lucas said as he placed a coat on him.

He quickly hefted John up onto his back for a piggyback ride and brought him to his car parked on the driveway. He placed him down on the booster seat, fastened his seat, started the car, and began the drive.

“How can I help you? You’re better at art than me,” John sighed. “And aren’t most of your art pieces done at home?”

“Just come for the ride. You’re in for a surprise.”

“Are we going to the alleyway where you use cans that spit color on the wall?”

“You’ll see, Just be patient okay?” Lucas said as he shortly glanced into the rear-view mirror.

“But dad-,” John said with a pout.

“Hey John, how about we make a bet? If you can spot at least 20 red stop signs then I’ll tell you where are we going.”

“Deal! I’m gonna win this for sure!”

“I’m sure you will,” Lucas said as he smiled while focusing on the road.

“One! I got one point dad!”

“Alright nice! Only nineteen more to go!”

As Lucas drove, the cloudy weather made road gray scaled and the red stop signs easy for John to spot on each intersection they came across during the drive. John’s confidence grew as he got closer to twenty.

“Nineteen! I just need one more!” John shouted “Twenty! I won dad!”

“Congratulations John.”

“So, where are we going?”

“Actually, we’re here already,” Lucas said as he parked his car onto an open spot of the packed sidewalk.

“A museum?”

“This place is not just any museum, it’s called an art museum. This is where my masterpiece is.”

“That sounds awesome dad! Hurry, I want to see your masterpiece.”

John’s eyes widened once he entered as he held his dad’s hand. The museum was packed with people. Lucas smiled at the sight of John’s face and decided to show him around the museum.

“Woah. Why does the guy covered in powder naked dad?”

“This is actually an art piece all the way from Rome.”

“Okay. But why is he naked?”

“Alright John. How bout’ we go see my masterpiece now?” Lucas said as he quickly pushed John to a different direction.

The two walked into the corner of a packed room with a bunch of nicely dressed people sitting with numbered paddles in front of a stage covered with blue silky curtains. All around the room there were art pieces on display.

“Why are there so many people?” John asked. “Are they here to see your painting too?”

“Yes, but remember it’s not done yet John. You still have to help me with the finishing touches”

“Oops, I forgot about that,” John laughed. “But where is it?”

“Alright, so you see that one painting that has a little girl letting the red heart balloon go?” Lucas whispered.

“That’s it? It looks cool dad! Why are we whispering?”

“Thanks. I want to finish my masterpiece with you in secret so that no one knows that I completed it here.”

“Okay dad! So how are we going to finish off your masterpiece?”

“It’s pretty simple,”said John as he took out a little remote from his pocket. “All you need to do is when you see the spotlight you see right now on the other painting right now is on my painting, and when the people with the ping pong paddles start raising them in the air, you press this red button. Okay?”

“Got it! Spotlight, ping pongs, red button! What will this do?”

“Just wait. It might be time soon! Keep a lookout!”

“Next we have a painting made in 2006 called Girl With Balloon,” said by the man standing on the stage. “The bid will start with one thousand dollars.”

The light clicked onto the painting and people started raising their paddles. Lucas looked over to John and nodded with a smile. John clicked the red button and looked over to the painting. A loud beep started to come from the painting, and the painting slowly slid down going through the bottom of the frame. Slowly the painting began to turn into perfectly shredded strips while John‘s jaw dropped.

“Great Job John!” Said Lucas. “So, what do you think?”

Krystal Oca is a broadway enthusiast through the influence of her siblings. She enjoys the dialogue of the stories expressed through the power of music. With the messages that each musical portrays, it gives her motivation to power through anything that life throws at her.