The Hidden Talent | Teen Ink

The Hidden Talent

By alesia-golja BRONZE, Tirana, Other
alesia-golja BRONZE, Tirana, Other

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than the one with all the facts."

There she was… staying in her room and crying while remembering all the bad memories that she had of the first time on the stage singing. She started remembering every moment and everyone laughing and the people making fun of her in front of her face. In that moment her mom went in her room and saw her crying. She couldn’t hold her tears because she was very sad and ashamed. Her mom didn’t know why she was crying so she was very worried for her.

“Sarah what's wrong sweetie, why are you crying?”

Sarah answered, “It’s okay mom, Im fine.”

“No you’re not fine. Can you please tell me what's going on? You share everything with me.”
Sarah replied, “Mom please, don’t worry I will get over this.”

“Sarah, keeping things inside of you is bad because everytime we have a problem we must share it with someone that we trust because they will always give us good advice. If we keep things inside of us than we are going to have a lot more problems.”

Sarah started telling her mom everything from the beginning, “ It all started when I had my first concert singing in front of the whole school. You know me and how emotional I get in front of many people and because of that, I forgot my lines. I got very scared and left the stage. Everyone started laughing and making fun of me. From that moment on, only Daniel supports me. I can’t walk in the hallways because I’m sure someone will see me and start to make fun. I am so ashamed mom.”

She started crying more and more.

“Sarah please don’t worry, we will make those people feel bad for the things that they said. We will show them how talented you are.”

Sarah has always been so afraid after she forgot the lines of the song. Since that moment she never sang a song in front of many people. She always sang in front of Daniel and her parents. She was so good at singing but she couldn’t trust herself anymore. She was so afraid that after all what happened she was going to do the same thing over and over.  One day her mom wanted to make a surprise for her. She signed Sarah up for an audition so that she could show everyone how good she was. She wanted to show everyone that they were all wrong. Her mom went home and was ready to surprise her.

“Sarah can you please come downstairs, I have something to show you.”

Sarah went downstair and saw her mom holding a ticket in her hands.

Sarah asked: “Mom, what’s that?”

“This is the ticket of an audition that I signed you in.”

Sarah got scared and said, “Mom, I don’t think I’m ready to take an audition. I’m sorry but I don’t think I can do it.”

“Sarah, I know how much you love singing and I know how good you are. You don’t want to let some jealous kids bring you down. You don’t want to make them believe that you’re not talented, because trust me, you are.”

Sarah got a smile in her face and she got her trust back from her mom’s words. “Mom, I think you’re right. They always wanted to bring me down and make me not trust in myself. Now I have to show them that they all are wrong about me. I will show them how talented I am and how much I love singing.”

“That’s my girl. Now go in your room and practice because tomorrow is going to be a very important day.”

Sarah goes in her room and starts to practice the entire day. Next morning she wakes up and she was so excited to sing in front of an audience after a really long time. She was also scared but she had Daniel and her supportive mom by her side. After a long drive they arrived there. Sarah went inside and she had a lot of emotions. Daniel and her mom were watching her from a TV that was outside. There she was in front of a really big audience and four judges. At that moment she remembered everything that had happened to her. She closed her eyes and started telling herself: “You can do this, you can do this, trust in yourself.” She closed her eyes and started singing. When she started to sing she forgot all of the emotions and everything that had happened to her and she just enjoyed the love of the audience and the judges. When she finished her song she saw everyone standing and applauding for her. She had never felt that much love from that really big audience before. At that moment she believed in herself and knew that a lot of people can be jealous and hurt your feelings.

on Apr. 2 2019 at 12:27 pm
starfeather PLATINUM, Olathe, Kansas

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA- to the stars, through difficulties.

I like the story, but I think you would improve the emotions in your writing. Include more details, more feelings to make the reader root for Sarah. It shows promise!