Ageless, Timeless, Everlasting | Teen Ink

Ageless, Timeless, Everlasting

By natalieryan612 BRONZE, White Lake, Michigan
natalieryan612 BRONZE, White Lake, Michigan

Soft kisses, warm hugs, and gentle giggles echoed throughout her bright room. My sunlight filtered through the thin blinds, them helpless to the persistent rays that inevitably find a way into tight spaces. My morning golden touch emphasized the soft yellow of the walls, only furthering the older girls idolization of such a feathery color. Her nephew bathed in the warmth the subdued colors provided, reflecting all other increments back onto his fair complexion. He stood next to her bed, the bed of his idol, laughing childishly as his aunt persuaded him to once again join her. Attempting to flatten messy hair, ruined from too much rough housing, the child animatedly considered the offer, though his decision had already been chosen. But, as a young boy aged four, he could not uphold his poor, exaggerated facade, and the mere moments he spent off the bed, in the grasp of my rays, ended quickly. The energy that coursed through his veins never halted, simply grew, and it was his job to find a way to spend it.

Leaping onto her bed, his body sank into the soft mattress he had so desired and so envied within his short life. Beyond the reach of my delicate touch, my rays remained still, yearning to reach out, yet only observing the interactions from a distance. The boy’s mistake of returning to her side was immediately recognized, arms wrapping around his waist. Mercilessly, his aunt proceeded in tickling the boy, a wide grin spread across his face, and a light blush from the effort brushed lightly upon her cheeks, accentuating her rosy happiness. Her delight was contagious, and there was no stopping the beam upon the little boy’s face, reflecting his aunts. Their consciousness freed of their school stressors, lips smiling unapologetically, and hearts rapidly beating blood to energetic minds, I fed.

***

Couch cuddles, buttered popcorn and Hedwig’s Theme occupied the entirety of the expansive living room. Though not belonging to either of the pair, both too young to own things such as houses, each youth felt at home. While one remained entranced with wands, witches, and wizards, the other fought his body’s pull for unconsciousness, the ten o’clock hour already much later than his eight year old body typically endured. The dim room did not aid in this battle, my rays of light slowly sinking from sight, my grasp upon the pair slipping as I did upon their visible sky. The young boy’s body pressured him to fall prey to the lull of sleep, but the bright screen brought him to attention with occasional flashes of spell-like light, varying drastically from the natural one emitted by me. Speakers supported on the sidelines, shaking him with a vibrating excitement of music and fights.

Though, even if the thrill of the movies lacked, the energy provided by popcorn oversaturated by butter and salt were missing, and the stubbornness the child withheld dissipated, one could easily see he would still prevail with his aunt at his side. It required no effort from me to sense that the movie, snacks, and shared love for a series took a backseat to the jokes, comments, and giggles made in time spent together. The night was sparked by a passion of a fantasy world, though fueled by the energy that flowed between the pair. Retreating my final tendrils outward into the forest that lay just beyond the house, I harvested what I could.

***

Loud chants, proud smiles, and dirty legs crowded the small baseball dugout, breaking from the intense rays I exhaled during the midsummer season. Rather than sitting by idly such as the less enthusiastic boys, the boy chose to be up on the fence with the majority, supporting their teammates, each beaming with excitement as plays passed. Every play, every throw, every catch caused each to glow with pride, emphasized by the radiance of my presence, moments fondly engraved into impressionable minds.

That is what my beams used to feel during these warm months, until love was lost to competitive expectations of fourteen year old boys. Replaced, unstoppable sniffles, aching hearts, and disappointed hugs occupied his aunt’s newly -- but only half furnished -- living room. I had already begun to kiss the horizon, beginning my descent to the opposing hemisphere, soon to leave nothing but a dim moon and faint stars to illuminate the vast sky. Even my remaining occupancy lacked in intensity, disrupted by misty clouds, obstructing the ability to do my job.

No tears reflected me, as none flowed from the young boy’s eyes -- despite his congestion suggesting otherwise -- but the sorrow radiated from him nonetheless. Each felt helpless to improve the situation itself; the child helpless to improving his mindset of the situation. The older nodded along to sob stories, of admirable memories turned sour, her eyes containing a luster in the poor illumination, ensuring all that she was listening intently.

Although the child could not bring himself to request anything further than he had already, the demand of his shadowy heart begged for more reassurance. In understanding, as another narrative flowed from the child’s quivering lips, the older gasped, throwing hands to her face in false shock, forcing a fragile -- yet genuine -- smile upon his face, white teeth gleaming in soft radiance. The act brought a giggle to his mouth; a giggle to his heart. As fog cleared from my vision, varying sights covering the view of the home instead, a glimmer returned to their hearts, and energy returned to the lingering light that remained in their presence.

***

Deafening whispers, compassionate music, and a nervous energy envelope each attendee of the wedding. My brilliance floods through stained glass, casting elegant shadows of color upon already grand church floors; colors that otherwise only appear with the introduction of my descent. Intricate details carve into every surface available -- the pews, the walls, even the hard-to-reach ceiling -- but the beauty of it all creates a tranquil mindset of each person within the church.

Despite this aura produced by the seemingly ancient structure, the surprising September heat attempts to interrupt the calm by wading into the church, uninvited. The need for fans is significant, as wedding participants strive to remain presentable for a night forever immortalized in pictures and videos seen as the decades pass. But, the heat and the struggle is worth it in the name of the beautiful bride.

The boy, much older, yet still only sixteen, allows the tears to freely slip from his eyes, silently greeting the aged wooden floors, a hint of happiness in each drop as they fall away. Flowers intertwine his fingers, attention no longer focused upon the array of flowers the young groomsmen encountered earlier: a younger bridesmaid decided to abandon hers on a bench. Each increment and shade of the freshly painted blooms were picked with these specific moments in mind, with the colors only accentuating the beauty of such a lavish wedding. Still, all attention is on the bride.

Vows are exchanged, and sobs are heard, ringing throughout the church, many unable to express their joy in any other form. My finest moments occur in these, my energy is at its highest during such moments of caring and happiness. Rays curl around the souls of each family member, of each friend, though it is not as difficult to pry from the one pair. His aunt made eye contact with him, pouting slightly as lips smile while trembling, and eyes sparkle while shedding tears. She threw her arms out, hugging the boy that laughed for their situation, for one of his happier moments in life. Millennia of observing, yet from only their love, I am satisfied. Though they age, I do not, yet they still hold significance to me. I am ageless, timeless, everlasting, yet I am the sated sun.