Ugly Duckling | Teen Ink

Ugly Duckling

By music4bunny BRONZE, Nederland, Texas
music4bunny BRONZE, Nederland, Texas

I guess some could say that she was pretty, but as her mother I didn’t agree. Her eyes were too far apart and what nothing is special about brown eyes. Her skin was not a pretty color, definitely too pale. And her hair. It wasn’t a luscious blonde or a dreamy brown, or even a colorful red. It was the color of caramel, a stale caramel. She was tall and lanky, no one could call her graceful. No. She was definitely not the gorgeous child of the lot. The oldest was without a doubt stunning. Her hair was long and the color of dark chocolate, and those piercing blue eyes could give anyone chills. She was the one that could have been a model, but followed her dreams to law school. The second child was the all American boy with beach blonde hair and emerald green eyes. A spitting image of his muscular, athletic dad, God rest his soul. He used his looks to bring home a different girl on his Friday night dinners at home. Yes, college was being very good to him. Then there’s the youngest. The ugly duckling I’ve described. And she wants to be a model. That’s about as likely as a cat become synchronized swimmer.

wanderer23 PLATINUM, Watertown, Massachusetts
Depressing but interesting to read of a mother thinking of one of her children in such a negative way.

I liked how you caught my attention with the first line.

Keep writing!

pictolover SILVER, Brookfield, Missouri

"Life is like a roller coaster. When you don't know what to do buckle up, close your eyes, and enjoy the ride."

how could a mother think that about someone that is half of herself? I feel so sorry for the girl. I want more. Maybe a piece from the girl's point of view. Nice Job!

Inkspired PLATINUM, Whitby, Other

"If one will scoff at the study of language, how, save in terms of language, will one scoff?" - Mario Pei
"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die." Isaac Asimov

Very interesting, leaves me wanting more!!!

biggerinfinities SILVER, Superior, Colorado

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

oh, interestni point of view.... slighty sad