The Tudors | Teen Ink

The Tudors

By aleatiberi BRONZE, Amherst, New York
aleatiberi BRONZE, Amherst, New York

Henry Tudor smirked with arrogance as he mounted his horse. He knew what was about to happen. It had happened a thousand times before. He would ride out to the field, look his opponent square in the eye, and charge. The crowd would cheer as Henry pranced around the field celebrating another victory. Women would swoon and practically beg to him to take them to bed. A member of a royal family, Henry’s life was full of luxury and reckless fun. Henry had no intention of ever taking the English throne, for his older brother Arthur was the king and was expected to be until the day he died. Just as Henry was about to gallop onto the field, Thomas Woolsey, Arthur’s advisor, sprinted up to him. “Henry!” he said “Something terrible has happened to your brother! Come quick!” Confused, Henry jumped off of his horse and sprinted behind Woolsey to his brothers bedchamber. When they arrived, they were met with a bed-ridden Arthur and many doctors all hurriedly rushing around him. Henry stared in awe at his fading brother. Arthur had always been such a strong figure in the Tudor family, so to see him so weak was strange to Henry. Before Henry could talk to Arthur, he and Woolsey were stopped by the head doctor. “Henry, I have some news” the doctor said frankly. “You’re brother is dying. He should be dead anytime between now and tomorrow morning.” “Excuse me?” said a shocked Henry. The doctor just shook his head and went back to his work, muttering something Henry couldn’t understand. As Henry approached Arthur, Arthur looked up at him with fear in his eyes. For a moment, the two brothers just stared at each other. The look was filled with care, confusion, apprehensiveness. That ambivalent look was the last thing that Arthur would ever see.

“Henry, we’ve got to discuss your responsibilities now that Arthur is gone. You’ve been putting it off for weeks now” said Woolsey with frustration. Henry just sighed. He knew that Arthur was the leader. Arthur was the king. Henry didn’t even want to be king! He liked his life of no responsibilities and he didn’t want anything to change. Still, Henry thought Arthur’s widow Catherine was beautiful, and taking the throne meant marrying her. “I know, Woolsey” Henry said. “Let’s get it started.” Woolsey practically exploded with excitement as he feverishly planned Henry’s coronation and wedding to Catherine. Henry paced across the carpeted hall as Woolsey went on and on about things that Henry didn’t care about.

Three months later, Henry sat on his throne, listening to Woolsey drown on and on about the country’s latest issues. “Sire, we have a massive problem with the…” “Sire? I don’t like sire” Henry interrupted. “From now on, when anyone speaks to me, they will refer to me as ‘your majesty’. Make it an official decree.” Woolsey just stared at him. “Now!” Henry said with irritation. Henry rolled his eyes as Woolsey ran away. Though he didn’t initially want to be king, Henry was enjoying his new title and the power that came with it. People listened to him now; his word was golden. But there was one thing that scared Henry more than anything. He had seen how his father was almost dethroned during the Civil War, and Henry himself was now terrified that the same would happen to him. Everywhere he went, he felt like everyone was plotting against him. The only one he could truly trust was Woolsey. Henry liked Woolsey; Woolsey was loyal and obedient. However, there were some in Henry’s court that were not so trustworthy. Some of Henry’s advisors were the descendants of competing families of the Tudors, and Henry found it hard to trust them. William was the worst. Every time William and Henry would meet, Henry felt like he couldn’t turn his back on William in fear of betrayal. One day, Henry and William met to discuss the fate of the throne. “Well, since you don’t have any male heirs” smirked William, “I suppose it’s time to choose a new family to take the throne.” Henry jumped up. “Treason!” he exclaimed. “You shall be put to the death!” With that, Henry’s guards carried William to the guillotine. William’s screams were followed by the sound of the metal dropping and then eerie silence. Henry smiled. This will show them, he thought. No one will try to overthrow me again. Unfortunately for his advisors, Henry’s paranoia soon became out of control. Henry was executing dozens of men a day. At least all the traitors were gone.

“I...I just don’t understand, Catherine” said Henry. This was her fourth miscarriage. Catherine sobbed as she stared at her hands in shame. “Henry, I think I’m just a little too old to give you any more children” Catherine blurted out. “What?” Henry yelled. He threw the chair he had been sitting in a moment ago across the room. “Catherine, I need a son! What is the British throne going to do without another Tudor man?” Henry said. “Well what about Mary? She is our daughter.” Catherine advocated. Henry shook his head in disapproval. “We can’t have a female queen” Henry reasoned, “I won’t let it happen.” “What about us?” Catherine timidly asked. Henry told her that he couldn’t have a queen that couldn’t give him a son. “It’s not personal” Henry said, “I just need a son”. With tears in her eyes, Catherine reminded Henry that her couisn Pope Clement would never grant them a divorce for such a silly reason. “I have another reason” said Henry. At that moment, a younger, more beautiful woman than Catherine glided across the floor towards them. “Who’s this?” Catherine stammered in disbelief. “Your husband's mistress” the unknown woman spoke. Henry smiled at the woman. Catherine, flooded with anger said “You cheated on me?” “Well yeah” Henry said, “You are a little too old” “Wanna know the best part?” the woman mocked, “I’m pregnant!” she laughed. “Catherine, you know I can’t have a bastard baby. What if it’s a boy?” Catherine turned her tear stained face straight at the woman. “What’s your name?” Catherine asked with hatred. “Anne Boleyn” the women said. “You’re not half the man your brother was” Catherine said to Henry. Catherine got herself together, mumbled “whore” to Anne under her breath, grabbed her daughter Mary, and stormed out of the castle.

“Henry, we can’t do this again” Mary Boleyn said as she rolled out of the king’s bed, “You’re marrying my sister. I still don’t understand how you can do that to me” Henry and Anne’s sister, Mary, had been having an affair for years. Henry knew that his affairs with his mistress had to stop, but Mary made him feel good; she gave him confidence. “Does Anne know?” questioned Henry. “Yes, I’ve told her” said Mary. Mary was upset; she knew she shouldn’t be sleeping with Henry, but she didn’t want Anne to sleep with him either. Mary was completely in love with Henry, but she knew that he could never reciprocate. He was the king of England and she was just his insignificant mistress. But why would he marry Anne? What could he possibly get out of that marriage? Mary wondered. Then it hit her. Anne had to be pregnant. What else was the possible explanation? “Tell me the truth” Mary said “Did you get Anne pregnant?” Henry stared at the elaborately painted ceiling and took a death breath, “Mary, you know I need a son”. Mary was shocked. “During our relationship?” “Yes” Henry said. “I’m sorry. But for the record, you helped me cheat on Catherine, so what comes around goes around, right?” For the second time that day, a heartbroken woman ran out of the castle, crying and cursing Henry and Anne.

Mary ran through the streets with a purpose; she was going to find Anne. “You whore. You’re supposed to be my sister! You slept with him? I can’t believe you would do that to me!” Anne just smiled. “Mary, you’re a fool if you ever believed that he loved you. You’re just a silly little girl! I am a real woman.” Mary, filled with rage, slapped her sister with all of her might. “We are not sisters” said Mary. That was the last time the two would ever speak.

As Woolsey approached the Vatican, he took a deep breath. He didn’t know it yet, but this would be the start to the end of his life. Woolsey walked through the big, brass doors and was lead to Pope Clement. Woolsey bowed and greeted the pope. “Pope Clement, I’ve come on behalf of King Henry VIII. King Henry needs an annulment from his wife Catherine of Aragon.” “An annulment? From my cousin?” the Pope questioned “He better have a really good reason”. “Your cousin? Well I didn’t know that. Oh boy, this is gonna be tough. But he does have a good reason!” exclaimed Woolsey “Catherine is menopausal and can’t reproduce anymore. Obviously this would be suicidal to the Tudor dynasty, so Henry needs a younger wife to help him continue his lineage.” Clement stared at Woolsey for a few seconds too long. “Did you honestly think that I’d grant Henry an annulment so he can sleep with younger women? Marriage is a covenant with God, not something that can be so easily thrown away! Leave, Woolsey! Tell Henry his request is denied.” Woolsey ran out of the Vatican in fear. As he boarded his carriage and sulked back to Britain, he pondered the best way to tell Henry about his failure. He knew Henry wouldn’t be happy, but Woolsey had always been a loyal advisor to Henry, so Henry couldn’t possibly blame Woolsey for the Pope’s decision. A few days later, Woolsey arrived back home. Woolsey immediately found Henry in his study talking to Anne. He nervously approached them. “Your majesty” started Woolsey “Can we have some privacy?” “I am his soon to be queen” scoffed Anne, “Whatever it is, I must know as well.” Woolsey gulped, “Well, if you insist. The Pope denied your request for an annulment.” “What?!” screamed Henry, “I’ve been loyal to him for years! That bastard thinks he can betray me? Absolutely not! I must marry Anne, I must. But how?” Henry thought for a moment. “ I’ve got it! I’ll form my own church in which I’ll be the head clergy! I’ve always known that I’m destined for more power, after all it is God’s will. Come on Anne, you’ve got to help me think of a name for my new church! Panglican? Danglican? No...” As an excited Henry walked away, Anne cunningly whispered to Woolsey, “This is your fault” and slinked after her fiance. “Henry” Anne called, “I think you’ve got to consider all of the facts of this. If Woolsey was as loyal as he said, I think he would have been able to convince Clement to annul your marriage to that old wench. I’m just asking you to think about it.” With a kiss on the cheek, Anne glided away, leaving Henry puzzled. How could he have missed it! Obviously Woolsey is a traitor, thought Henry. The king wiped away a tear as he pondered how so many of his closest advisors and friends betrayed him. Woolsey had been by Henry’s side since the day that Arthur died, and Henry considered Woolsey his closest friend. Hurt and angry, Henry ordered his guards to find Woolsey and bring him to the execution room. Half an hour later, Henry stood over Woolsey as his guards tied up his former best friend. “Why, Henry? I thought we were friends.” “I did too, but friends don’t betray friends” Henry said coldly. “It was Anne, wasn’t it? I know she wants to get rid of me so she can take power! She’s using you Henry, twisting your emotions! Please, you have to listen!” “Silence!” Henry bellowed. “Don’t you dare talk about my queen! Guards, now!” The guards responded with a quick slice of a sword through Woolsey’s neck. Henry looked down at his most trusted advisor’s decapitated head. “Don’t let that thing touch me, I have to go get married. I can’t have traitor blood on my fancy robes”

“Next!” yelled Henry. The search for a new advisor was hard; Henry didn’t like any of the candidates. They all seemed sneaky and suspicious to him. When the next man walked in, Henry felt a surge of nostalgia, but he couldn’t place it. “My name is Thomas Cromwell” said the man. He then went on about his political achievements and credentials, boring Henry until he interrupted: “I like you. I feel like I can trust you. You’ve got the job. Now I’ve got some things for you to go over..” Cromwell rejoiced internally as he externally acted professional. He couldn’t believe his luck! He just hoped he didn’t end up like the last guy. 

Henry was preparing to joust for the first time since the day that Arthur died. Henry felt like he had to avenge Arthur’s death somehow, as if pushing a random man off his horse would bring Arthur back. Henry stepped out of his tent onto the field as the crowd screamed his name. He faced his opponent as he’d done so many times before as he prepared to charge. The next thing he knew, his opponent was coming closer and closer to him at amazing speeds. All of a sudden, Henry felt a sharp, stabbing pain in his chest. He looked down and saw the bloody hole his opponents lance had left. “That’s for disrespecting the Pope!” his opponent screamed. “All hail Pope Clement!” Henry fainted from the wound. The crowd roared in agreement and Henry’s guards rushed him away as Anne trailed behind.

“Is he going to be okay?’ Anne questioned the doctor. “He has some pretty bad wounds, my Queen. That jouster concealed a sword in his lance to deliberately attack the king. He will be in pain all of the time when he wakes up. It’s completely possible that he will have a hard time keeping a good attitude.” Anne held back the lump that was growing in her throat as she stared at her baby bump. She knew that her relationship with Henry was already volatile. Anne was due any day now, but she worried that the child was a girl. She knew that the only reason that he loved her was because he thought that she’d give him an heir to the throne. Suddenly, Anne felt a trickle down her leg that she knew wasn’t urine. “Doctor” Anne stuttered, “I think my water just broke.” The doctor excitedly escorted Anne to a bed. Everyone in the room knew that this was a crucial moment; if the baby was a boy, the country would be saved, but if not, well...no one wanted to think of that.

After nine long hours of labor, Anne held her baby girl, Elizabeth. Anne looked at down at Elizabeth’s pure face and forgot why she was supposed to be upset by her birth. She would soon be reminded when Henry limped into her room. “Anne, I’m disappointed.” “Henry, just look at her! And why do you need a male heir? I’m sure Elizabeth will grow up to be a great queen.” “Don’t be stupid, Anne. England needs a king.” Henry paced around the room in anger. “The whole reason I married you was so that you could give me a son! I mean really, Anne, I abandoned the Pope for you! And this is what you give me?” Henry motioned to Elizabeth. “I’m sorry” Anne mumbled, “But it’s not my fault. I did everything the doctor said! Maybe God just doesn’t want you to have a son.” “How dare you?” shrieked Henry, “Maybe God just doesn’t want me to be with you.” At that moment, Anne’s maid, Jane Seymour entered, “Sorry to interupt your majesties, I just need to take Anne’s temperature to make sure that she’s adjusting to the postnatal conditions.” As Jane nursed his wife, Henry stared at her. Jane was beautiful, perhaps even more beautiful than Anne. “Jane, I need you for some official business when you’re done. Please follow me.” Henry ordered. Jane obediently followed Henry out of Anne’s room. “What is it your majesty?” asked Jane. Henry kissed Jane with the passion he was missing from his marriage with Anne, and she kissed back.

“Your majesty, I’m telling you, it’s only what’s best for the country!” Cromwell said. “Absolutely not!” said Henry, “Anne doesn’t want it!” Cromwell rolled his eyes: everything was about Anne these days, and nothing was getting done because of it. “Your majesty, I don’t mean to gossip, but I heard from a reliable source that Anne was an adulteress. In fact, I heard that she goes to bed with her own brother!” Cromwell lied. Henry, filled with anger, immediately ordered his guards to take Anne, her brother and all of the other names of the unfortunate enemies of Cromwell to the prison in the Tower of London to await trial. Anne was physically pulled away from her newborn and dragged to her cell. In court, Henry’s representative made a truly amazing case: “Anne is a whore and a cheater. Why you ask? King Henry said so.” With that convincing argument, Anne and her alleged lovers were sent to execution. Henry attended Anne’s beheading. As she took in the last sights of the world, Henry stared at her: “Just so you know, I’m sleeping with your maid.” And then everything went dark for Anne.

“Well, it has been one week since the beheading of that whore, and I sent away that bastard child Elizabeth so I suppose it’s time for me to get married again. And I choose Jane Seymour.” “Who, my lord?” Cromwell questioned. “The hand maid” Henry stated, “I really think she’s special. I’ve never felt like this with any woman.” “That’s wonderful, your majesty!” exclaimed Cromwell. Jane and Henry were married immediately. Throughout their marriage, Henry never cheated on Jane which was a first for him. Everyone around them could tell that they were completely in love. For a few months, the king was completely happy, and consequently, so was the rest of the kingdom. There were no executions for months, another record for Henry! The positivity continued when Jane gave birth to Henry’s first son, Edward. Henry was completely at peace because he had it all: the perfect wife and a male heir. A few days after Edward’s birth however, Henry’s whole world stopped. Edward’s birth had been slowly killing Jane, and Henry forcing her to do public appearances with her newborn pushed her health over the edge. The death of his one true love was the start of Henry’s decline. From then until the end of his life, Henry was a crueler person even than he was before. Mass executions sprang up as Henry expressed his grief. Henry stayed in bed for days at a time, leaving his advisors to care for Edward. Cromwell entered Henry’s room: “Your majesty, it’s time to get out of bed. I found you a beautiful new wife. Her name is Anne of Cleaves.” “How dare you disrespect Jane’s memory like that?” Henry exclaimed. “Henry, Jane would want this. Let’s sign the marriage agreement now.” “But I haven’t even met her” Henry said. “Here’s a picture. She’s beautiful enough” said Cromwell as he pulled a portrait out of his bag. “Well...alright” said Henry, “but I’m trusting you Cromwell. If she’s less than perfect, there will be consequences. Cromwell nodded and excitedly started to draft a letter to Anne.

It was the day that the married couple would meet. Henry was excited to meet Anne, and strangely optimistic. The suspense built as her advisors announced “The beautiful Anne of Cleaves.” But the woman who entered next was nowhere near beautiful. Henry stared in shock, “Where’s my beautiful queen?” “That would be me. Hello, Henry” Anne said nervously. “Oh absolutely not!” Henry exclaimed. Henry proceeded to throw the biggest fit of his life. Anne stood there as Henry continuously called her “ugly” and a “joke”. The unattractive woman blinked back tears as her husband insulted her. “So I assume we are getting a divorce?” said Anne. “Get out!” yelled Henry at Anne. “Cromwell!” Henry yelled, “You promised me a beautiful bride. I can’t marry that! She’s hideous! How can I ever trust you again? You chose me a wife who not only has the same name as my whore of an ex-wife, but looks nothing like the picture you showed me! I have no choice but to behead you.” Henry said. With that Henry snapped his fingers as guards seized Cromwell and dragged him away.

Henry’s next wedding happened swiftly. The woman was Catherine Howard, a young woman who liked to have a little too much fun. Henry, now in his late thirties, knew that his marriage to the 17 year-old Catherine was a little silly, but he needed to feel the passionate love that he had felt with Jane, and he thought that youth would provide that. After a year of mediocre marriage, Henry walked into his bedroom to find Catherine making love to a man much younger than himself. “You know what, I don’t really care anymore, but it would make me look bad if I didn’t kill you both, so yeah, that’s gonna happen.”

As Henry realized that his health was failing, he demanded a wife to cry for him on his deathbed. He chose Catherine Parr, a woman who was more age-appropriate for him. Henry and Catherine constantly fought because Catherine was the only one to ever challenge him. She knew that he was too weak to behead her, so she pushed him to his limits and questioned everything that he said. Though some days Henry hated her, Catherine made him think. Henry did a lot of thinking as his body grew weaker, simply because it was his only option as his body failed. One day, Henry called 9 year-old Edward into his room. “Son, you know I don’t have much time left as king” “Why? Where are you going?” asked Edward. “I’m dying, you idiot. Okay, anyway, you are going to be king of all of England soon, okay? It’s not that hard, just don’t do anything stupid. Okay, leave me alone now.” Edward walked out of father’s room in tears. Catherine saw him crying and instantly came to comfort him. Catherine had become the closest thing to a mother to Edward and he loved her more than anyone. “I don’t understand why father has to do that. I’m not ready for all of this” he sobbed. “It’ll all be okay” soothed Catherine as she held him.

Two weeks later, Henry died. His jousting injury progressively got worse and worse, and eventually, Henry’s heart stopped. Some cheered and some cried, but everyone could agree on one thing: it was the end of an era.

Just barely a teenager, Edward had been the king of England for six years. He lived with his stepmother Catherine, her new husband Thomas Seymour, and his half sisters Elizabeth and Mary who had been brought back to the castle when their father died. With his odd family’s help, Edward timidly ruled his father’s country. Edward rallied behind his father’s Anglican church, partly because he didn’t have anything else to support, partly because it was popular among his subjects. Edward’s relationships with his sisters were complicated; he had problems with both Mary and Elizabeth. Edward and Elizabeth had been friends throughout their childhood, but when Elizabeth was about 13, things changed. Edward noticed that Thomas, their stepfather, always went into Elizabeth’s bedchamber very late at night and early in the morning. He would constantly hear Elizabeth’s shrieks of laughter coming from her room when Thomas was there. Only a little boy, Edward felt the obscurity that surrounded their relationship, so one night, he paid a servant to spy on Elizabeth and Thomas by claiming to be cleaning the room. After about an hour, the servant came back to Edward. “Edward, I...I don’t really know how to say this. I mean, you’re so young, I don’t know if you know what this means. You’re only 9 years old!” the servant stuttered. “What is it?” the young king demanded. “You’re sister and stepfather are…having an affair. I saw him touching her. They were in bed together with no clothes on! It was horribly disturbing, your highness!” “But why?” Edward questioned. Then it came to him; Thomas was trying to seduce his sister in order to become the king of England when Elizabeth took over! Edward was furious; He loved Elizabeth and the thought of Thomas using her was sickening to Edward. “Go tell the executioner that I have another job for him” Edward barked to the servant in a way that he had learned from his father. A few days later, Elizabeth found out about Edward’s plan to execute Thomas. “Why would you do that?” Elizabeth sobbed. “Elizabeth, you know he’s just using you to get to the throne right?” Edward said. Elizabeth shook her head, “No, he loves me. And I’m never talking to you again!” Elizabeth screamed. After Thomas was executed, Elizabeth went away for a while to mourn her loss. Alternatively, Mary did not share her brother’s love of Protestantism. The daughter of his father’s Catholic queen, Mary actively disobeyed Edward’s religious decrees.  “Why is she so angry all of the time?” Edward asked Catherine. “Oh Edward, she’s had a tough life. You know how your father was.” But young Edward never did understand why his sister was so negative. Even on his deathbed at age 15 with Mary standing timidly by his side, Edward didn’t understand her. “What a shame you are dying brother. Good thing such a powerful ruler is taking over for you” Mary said smugly. “”I’m glad you like Jane! I was afraid that you’d be upset about it” Edward said. “What?!” exclaimed Mary, “Who’s Jane?” “Jane of Grey, of course. Our cousin! Mary, you know I couldn’t let you be queen. You’d ruin the church that our father founded!” Edward explained.  “This is an outrage!” Mary yelled. Edward shut his eyes as Mary shrieked. “Goodbye Mary. I hope you stop being miserable someday” Edward mumbled as he took his last breath.
“It’s funny, I almost feel like I was made to sit here” Mary mocked as Jane entered the throne room. “What are you doing in my throne?” Jane said with aggravation. “Don’t you mean my throne?” Mary said, “Do you get out of the castle much, Jane? Talk to any commoners? Well I did this morning and it was quite an eye-opening experience. In fact, they went on and on about how they want a Tudor to rule them instead of some random Scottish woman. So funny, truly. It was so funny that they even drew up a petition to put me, a Tudor heir, on the throne! Isn’t that just something?” Mary stated. “You’ll never get away with this” Jane smirked, “You’re brother put me here for a reason. Parliament will never allow this!” “Oh, but cousin you have forgotten the Popular Vote Clause which states that ‘Any time the people want a new ruler they may take a vote and replace the current ruler.’” Jane looked at Mary with hatred. “I’ve packed your bags for you” Mary said to Jane, “No need to thank me, though it would be polite.” Jane started to walk out when Mary screamed, “Wait! Wait! The crown?” as she held out her hand. Jane reluctantly took the priceless piece of gold off of her head, gave it to Mary, and walked out of the castle. Mary placed the crown on her head, sat in the throne, and to herself whispered, “I’m home.”
“Mary, please just listen to me!” Elizabeth begged. “Never!” Mary yelled back at her half-sister. Elizabeth, a Protestant herself, felt bad for Mary’s victims. Elizabeth had been trying to get Mary to be more tolerant of Protestants for months now, but Mary burned innocent Protestants at the stake everyday, regardless of Elizabeth’s pleading. “Mary, they’re calling you Bloody Mary! Do you really want that to be your reputation?” Elizabeth whined. “You know what Elizabeth? It’s better than having Protestants in my country. Speaking of Protestants, you have been a heretic for months! I think it’s about time that I taught you how to be Catholic.” Mary snapped her fingers and two burly guards demobilized Elizabeth. “Take her to the Tower of London” Mary said cooly. “For what?” Elizabeth yelled. “I cannot have Protestants in my kingdom” Mary stated, “I said take her away!”
Mary stood on the ship deck and looked across the water at Spain in the distance. She kept repeating to herself what she was going to say to Philip. She’d seen him from a distance at many dinner parties and had always admired him greatly. Aside from his obvious good looks, he was Catholic, which was always a bonus. And Mary needed an heir. Mary was getting older, so if she didn’t produce an heir soon, Elizabeth would be the only remaining Tudor and therefore the next in line to the throne. Mary knew she couldn’t have a Protestant on the throne again. Mary’s boat docked and she was escorted to Philip’s castle. “Mary” Philip said with little enthusiasm. “Hello, Philip!” Mary said with much more passion than her partner. “What do you want?” Philip asked. “Well I’d like to form an alliance between our two nations” Mary said. “I thought we already were” Philip said. “I mean a different kind of alliance. I want to marry you.” Mary stated. “Whoa, wait, I…” Philip stuttered. “Your majesty!” Philip’s advisor, John, interrupted, “A word!” Philip walked over to him. “You need to accept! A denial of marriage to Mary would be political suicide! England is the most powerful nation in all of Europe, so we have to make an alliance!” “Do I have to?” Philip whined, “She’s so...old. And cranky. And boring. And...” “Yes, you have to” John interrupted. Philip reluctantly walked over to Mary and accepted her proposal. Mary’s face lit up in a way that it rarely did. They planned the wedding to be one month from that day. Mary boarded her ship and happily sailed back home.

“I can’t believe I’m not pregnant! We’ve been trying for months!” Mary complained. “And I can’t believe John convinced me to sleep with you” Philip mumbled under his breath so that Mary couldn’t hear. “I hope you’ll still love me, Philip” Mary said. “Well of course my queen” Philip said sarcastically with an eye roll. “I’ll be right back” Philip said as he ran away. Philip ran to John’s chamber and broke down the door. “I absolutely cannot do this anymore! I mean she’s just awful! If I have to have sex with that woman one more time…” Philip yelled. “Sire, sire, relax! Mary will be dead soon. And you will automatically assume the position of the husband to the next heir to the throne when she dies” John soothed. “Oh, of course! Elizabeth! She’s much more beautiful! But how much longer will it take? I can’t take this anymore.” “Not long, Sire. Not long.”

Later that night, when everyone was asleep, John headed out of the castle and towards the urban part of London. After a bit of walking in the shadows, he arrived at a small, rundown shack in the darkest alley in the city. When he entered the shack, an old man with no teeth greeted him, “Hi John, which of Philip’s enemies is dying today?” John grinned, “His wife. I’ve got a knife from when I stabbed his brother, but I need something to make someone unconscious.” “Who are you knocking out?” asked the old man. “Well, I need someone to take the fall for the crime. The obviously suspect is Jane. Mary kicked her out of the throne, for God’s sake! So I’m going to Scotland to get her and frame her.” “Good thinking!” the man said, “I’ve got something perfect for you.” The man handed John a vial with a dark liquid in it and said “This should make her unconscious for 24 hours exactly.” John gave him a few coins, thanked the man, mounted his horse and headed for Scotland. After a few hours on horseback, John reached her castle. He snuck up to where he knew her room would be and tiptoed to her bed where Jane lay asleep. John slowly opened Jane’s mouth and poured the potion in her mouth. He slung the drooping woman across his back and once again mounted his horse. When he arrived back in London, John snuck into Mary’s bed chamber. With a knife in hand, John crept over to her bed. Just as he was about to stab her, Mary opened her eyes and started to scream. John quickly muffled her screams with a pillow and proceeded to stab her. Once she was dead, John dragged the unconscious body of Jane, who he’d kidnapped from Scotland, to the floor near Mary’s bed. He placed the bloody weapon in Jane’s hand and quietly crept away.
Elizabeth sat in her jail cell in the Tower of London where she had sat for almost a year. “Elizabeth!” a guard called, “You’re free to go. Your sister has been killed.” “Oh golly, really? Who did it? I must thank them!” “Jane” he replied. “I’ve always liked her. This also means I am the queen of England! This is my destiny!” Elizabeth skipped out of her prison and breathed in the fresh air. “England, get ready! Queen Elizabeth is here!” she yelled to no one.
“So, how does it feel to be queen?” Elizabeth’s horsemaster, Robert Dudley, asked with a smile. “Oh, I just love it!” Elizabeth and Robert had been spending a lot of time together since her coronation. Elizabeth’s favorite activity was horseback riding, and Robert was the horsemaster, so they spent hours riding in the countryside together. “You know Robert, Parliament wants me to get married so that I can procreate...” Elizabeth started. “Stop right there, Elizabeth” Robert interrupted, “Unfortunately, I’m already married. Not by choice though. I hate the woman. Amy’s her name. My parents arranged it when I was a teenager. It means nothing to me.” “Oh” said Elizabeth. “No, don’t be like that!” Robert said, “I really like you, Elizabeth. I don’t care that I’m married.” Robert kissed Elizabeth until they made their way to her bedchamber.
“Come quick! Come quick! Someone help!” a maid screamed. Elizabeth and Robert rushed out of Elizabeth’s bedchamber. “What happened?” Robert asked as they ran towards the maid. “Oh my…” Elizabeth gasped as they approached Amy’s dead body at the bottom of the stairs. “My wife!” Robert exclaimed. “My queen, why was this dead woman’s husband in your bedchamber?” the maid asked suspiciously, “Are you having an affair?” “No, no” Elizabeth interrupted, “She’s not really even his wife, just a nuisance really.” The nurse gasped, “So you killed her to get her out of the way!” Elizabeth tried to stop her but the maid ran away. Soon, the whole country was buzzing with the gossip. Everyone was saying that Elizabeth had killed Amy to be with Robert. “Elizabeth, you didn’t really do it, did you?” Robert asked timidly. “Robert, that’s not important. What matters is that we can be together now!” Elizabeth said. Robert shook his head, “Oh no, we cannot be together now. If we are, that will just prove all of the rumors true! I’m sorry, I can’t compromise my reputation for you.” “I thought I meant more to you than that” Elizabeth said, “but I guess not.” She fled the stables and headed to her bedchamber to sob.

“I will not do that” Elizabeth said defiantly. She stood in front of Parliament as they tried to convince her that she must get married. “My queen, you need an heir! You are the last Tudor left. If you don’t have a child, the whole Tudor dynasty will be over!” a representative complained. “Why do you care about that?” Elizabeth asked. “There will be a power vacuum when you die and we are afraid that war will break out over who will take the throne.” another parliament member explained. “What about Philip from Spain?” “Absolutely not. I will never get married. Not after what happened with Robert” Elizabeth said. “That was 20 years ago” another representative said. “It still hurts!” Elizabeth snapped back. The men groaned and frustratingly agreed to take a recess. As Elizabeth was walking out of the building, Philip approached her, “Hello, Lizzy” Philip said. “Don’t call me that” Elizabeth said. “Okay listen” Philip said, “I was married to your sister and she died, who knows how, which means that you are now married to me. Your father set the precedent! When your Uncle Arthur died, your father married his wife, Catherine.” “I will never marry you” Elizabeth said, “Maybe my crazy sister liked you, but I will not be taking part in your antics.” “Just watch what Parliament will say! You’ll have to marry me eventually!” Philip yelled as he walked back to his ship. Elizabeth turned around and saw that many of the Parliament members were staring at her. “What a perfect opportunity!” “I will not!” Elizabeth said as she stormed away.

As Philip reached the shores of Spain on his way back from England, he spotted a man on the shore. His clothes were tattered and his hair and beard were long and untrimmed. Philip walked off of his ship and approached the man. “Who are you?” “My name is Arthur Dudley. I am the son of Elizabeth Tudor and Robert Dudley” the man spoke. “Please help me, I haven’t eaten in weeks!” Philip grinned; he knew that he could use this information to blackmail Elizabeth into marrying him! “Come with me!” Philip said as he escorted Arthur onto his ship. “Back to England!” yelled Philip. About halfway to England, Philip’s ship got lost in a terrible storm and sank. There were no survivors.

“What is it this time?” Elizabeth said impatiently. “We have called this meeting to allow you to confirm our theory about why you won’t marry and procreate” the head of Parliament said. “We know your secret Elizabeth. We know that your father sent you away when you were young because your mother was a whore and was beheaded. We know that you often played with a little boy at the manner you stayed at. We know that you got sick and died at the manner. We know that the servants were scared that your father was going to behead them for not taking proper care of you. We know that to keep their heads, the servants dressed up the little boy as you. And we know that to this day, you are still a male.” Elizabeth laughed, “Why, that is the silliest thing I’ve ever heard! You think I’m a man? Where’s the proof?” “Oh, we have proof.” Parliament said, “First, you are very athletic. Your horseriding skills are better than most men in your court. Also, you have particularly long fingers, like a man would. And that white makeup you wear on your face? That’s to hide the stubble on your face! The high, ruffled collars? A fashionable cover up to your adam's apple. Finally, you’ve been very clear that you don’t want your body embalmed when you die. We think you don’t want anyone to see your penis!” “How dare you?” Elizabeth cried. She stormed out of the building in tears, for Elizabeth was so embarrassed by all of the accusations. Soon, all of England was buzzing about the mysterious gender of Elizabeth. These rumors ruined Elizabeth’s reputation: no one took her seriously after the rumors surfaced.
A few years later at age 69, Elizabeth died. With no heir, the Tudor dynasty died along with her. Though the Tudors were gone, the scandals and drama that they induced stayed with England forever. 

I was inspired to write this short story due to my love of history, specifically the drama of the Tudors. I hope that my piece will make learning history fun for those who dread it.