To The Death | Teen Ink

To The Death

By Pancake1132 SILVER, Rochester, Minnesota
Pancake1132 SILVER, Rochester, Minnesota

He drew his blade. It was time. The sun had finally set after a long day of anticipation. He lined up with everyone else in the battalion. That’s all he was, another pawn of the Empire. But he knew he was special. He was stronger than anyone the Empire could hire. That’s why he was in the battalion; he was their secret weapon. After all, fighting was all he knew. He was raised to become a sword fighter.

Suddenly, a flash of light overcame his eyes. But he was not scared; he knew what that meant. Over the hills of the Syilr cor Tien; or better known as, The Crags of Death. Descending from a hill was a wave of white. He looked to his side; his best friend was shaking in his armor. He nudged him on the shoulder and gave him a reassuring nod.

Even though he was not completely confident, he had to act like it for Volteir; his life-long friend.

A whistle sounded and the warriors started to move.

“Are you ready to fight?” He asked Volteir.

“To the death, and there is no one else I would want to fight with Valdaglerion,” Volteir replied and they marched. Valdaglerion’s arms started to shake as the armies made contact. He made eye contact with his life-long friend one last time and then their battalion split apart.

Valdaglerion charged forward. He swung his long blade along the side and killed two of the Rebellion’s stomachs; killing them instantly. Then he quickly spun around just in time to pierce another enemy through the throat. It fell to the ground, revealing a petrified Empire soldier behind him. He twirled around forward and ran toward another enemy who seemed to be overpowering an Empire soldier. He quickly stabbed it through the chest and gave a nod to the soldier he was facing.

After a long while of fighting soldiers. He proceeded further into the enemy territory. That is where he saw him.

He was dressed in a long white robe. His gleaming white sword was shining over his head. His snow white stallion was under him, riding through the crowd of his own army.

Valdaglerion knew this day was coming eventually. Cutting down any Rebellion soldiers near him, he readied himself for what would be his final duel.

Valdaglerion charged forward with his sword. The rider on the stallion noticed the warrior charging at him and he jumped off his horse. The horse stopped by itself. Valdaglerion swung his sword and it collided with the other soldier’s sword. After a while of clashing blades, Valdaglerion finally took the lead. He circled his sword around and was able to throw his enemy’s blade out of his hand.

Valdaglerion stood opposite to his life-long enemy.

“You have no idea how long I have waited for this moment,” Valdaglerion said.

“Too long I assume,” the enemy said.

“You are right,” he replied. “But this is not how I thought it would end,”

“Me either,” he said.

“Then it should not end this way,” Valdaglerion said. He handed the enemy his sword.

“Are you sure?” he asked.

“I will not die a monster, but a hero. You will return to your men as a hero, destroying the last great threat to the Rebellion.” Valdaglerion replied. The enemy nodded at him and Valdaglerion knelt to the ground.

“Good-bye brother,” the Rebellion soldier said and ended his brother’s life.

Keep in mind I set this thousands of years ago

on Sep. 19 2016 at 4:41 pm
Drummer_GirlEmii SILVER, Enterprise, Utah

Don't grow up!
(It's a trap)

Nice sword fighting.

on Oct. 3 2015 at 1:27 pm
MasterSun SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada

"History is written by the victors"- Winston Churchill

Very touching story, melodramatic

sarahstjohn said...
on Dec. 23 2012 at 7:48 pm
sarahstjohn, Boston, Massachusetts

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison

woah! great story, hooked me in and kept me reading to the very end

on Oct. 20 2012 at 4:30 pm
HOFALOJESUS BRONZE, Rittman, Ohio

"A paint splatter is just another form of art".

GREAT story! The ending was a twist! I had no idea about that! Good story! Would you comment on my poem, Heartbeat? I would really appreciate it! GOOOOODDD STOORY!!!!!  I Loved it!

defgamer13 said...
on Nov. 14 2011 at 11:37 am
ts really good

PJD17 SILVER said...
on Mar. 23 2011 at 5:27 pm
PJD17 SILVER, Belleville, Illinois

I do the best imatation of myself- Ben Folds

Great story  keep writing  could you please take a look at and comment on my story  Manso's Shame  i would really appreciate it

on Sep. 5 2010 at 1:59 pm
CrazyWriter GOLD, Lorton Station, Virginia

"Once you have given up on the most important thing in your life, you begin to die, because then, you gradually lose your true self"~Hana Kimi
"Someone who can lie to themself. . . is lonely, and in pain"~Hana Kimi

That took me be surprise! This was great article.  You did a great job, it hard to write something that not happening in the modern day and it even harder to write one that was supposed to be thousdands of years ago no less! all in all this was fantastic you really captured the characters too :D  the way you descrided the characters and how you said the character 'Valdaglerion'  thoughts and feelings.  this was amazing!

~CrazyWriter

btw my articles loooovvvveee to be read...

on Nov. 15 2009 at 10:22 pm
SerenityMine BRONZE, Not Saying, California
Wow! Great job! The ending was a total surprise. It was great.

Sky said...
on Feb. 13 2009 at 6:54 pm
I love it! I had to print it to read it but I'm definitely keeping it with the rest of my faves. The end was completely unexpected! Great job! Keep writing! ^^

Jamie said...
on Feb. 8 2009 at 5:16 pm
Jacob - great job! I hadn't read anything you've written before and I'm so impressed. Keep up the good work!