To The Death | Teen Ink

To The Death

January 24, 2009
By Pancake1132 SILVER, Rochester, Minnesota
Pancake1132 SILVER, Rochester, Minnesota
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

He drew his blade. It was time. The sun had finally set after a long day of anticipation. He lined up with everyone else in the battalion. That’s all he was, another pawn of the Empire. But he knew he was special. He was stronger than anyone the Empire could hire. That’s why he was in the battalion; he was their secret weapon. After all, fighting was all he knew. He was raised to become a sword fighter.

Suddenly, a flash of light overcame his eyes. But he was not scared; he knew what that meant. Over the hills of the Syilr cor Tien; or better known as, The Crags of Death. Descending from a hill was a wave of white. He looked to his side; his best friend was shaking in his armor. He nudged him on the shoulder and gave him a reassuring nod.

Even though he was not completely confident, he had to act like it for Volteir; his life-long friend.

A whistle sounded and the warriors started to move.

“Are you ready to fight?” He asked Volteir.

“To the death, and there is no one else I would want to fight with Valdaglerion,” Volteir replied and they marched. Valdaglerion’s arms started to shake as the armies made contact. He made eye contact with his life-long friend one last time and then their battalion split apart.

Valdaglerion charged forward. He swung his long blade along the side and killed two of the Rebellion’s stomachs; killing them instantly. Then he quickly spun around just in time to pierce another enemy through the throat. It fell to the ground, revealing a petrified Empire soldier behind him. He twirled around forward and ran toward another enemy who seemed to be overpowering an Empire soldier. He quickly stabbed it through the chest and gave a nod to the soldier he was facing.

After a long while of fighting soldiers. He proceeded further into the enemy territory. That is where he saw him.

He was dressed in a long white robe. His gleaming white sword was shining over his head. His snow white stallion was under him, riding through the crowd of his own army.

Valdaglerion knew this day was coming eventually. Cutting down any Rebellion soldiers near him, he readied himself for what would be his final duel.

Valdaglerion charged forward with his sword. The rider on the stallion noticed the warrior charging at him and he jumped off his horse. The horse stopped by itself. Valdaglerion swung his sword and it collided with the other soldier’s sword. After a while of clashing blades, Valdaglerion finally took the lead. He circled his sword around and was able to throw his enemy’s blade out of his hand.

Valdaglerion stood opposite to his life-long enemy.

“You have no idea how long I have waited for this moment,” Valdaglerion said.

“Too long I assume,” the enemy said.

“You are right,” he replied. “But this is not how I thought it would end,”

“Me either,” he said.

“Then it should not end this way,” Valdaglerion said. He handed the enemy his sword.

“Are you sure?” he asked.

“I will not die a monster, but a hero. You will return to your men as a hero, destroying the last great threat to the Rebellion.” Valdaglerion replied. The enemy nodded at him and Valdaglerion knelt to the ground.

“Good-bye brother,” the Rebellion soldier said and ended his brother’s life.

The author's comments:
Keep in mind I set this thousands of years ago