The Journey of Faith | Teen Ink

The Journey of Faith

By tpromes18 BRONZE, Carroll, Iowa
tpromes18 BRONZE, Carroll, Iowa

The Journey of Faith

Drip. Drip. Drip. This was all they listened to, the sound of the broken pipe in their living room. They sat in the corner, away from the windows, hiding from the gunfire throughout the dirty, filled streets (Syria Crisis). Mother spoke up for the first time in two hours. She yelled at Father saying that they needed to get out. They both have been wanting to leave Syria with their three children. After much yelling and whispering, they decided that tonight would be the night. The youngest child, a girl named Naomi, crawled to the other room followed by her two older brothers, Aladin and Keelo. Only given the choice to grab one thing, Naomi grabbed her favorite teddy bear given to her by her cousin before he joined all the protests.
    That night they left south to the country of Jordan. Sneaking through dark alleys, through bare fields, and also piles of dry leaves. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. Naomi felt starved and cold. Aladin was getting the worst of it though. He would moan and plead that we just stop and head back. Four nights later, Aladin passed away. Father and Mother insisted that they move on.
    They were in going past the city of Daraa, Syria, roughly 8 miles away from the border of Jordan (Syria Crisis), when two men with weapons immediately recognized that we were planning to leave. Gunfire broke, other citizens shot at them, and at least twenty people died in the midst of all of it. Bang. Bang. Bang. The sound of those gunfire shots were one of the many things Naomi wished she could have easily taken out of her memory. Her and Keelo were the only ones left after that gunfire. With both parents dead now, they were confused and felt neglected. Imagine to have the only safe and for sure things in your life taken away from you within the blink of an eye. Yet Keelo, being the older brother, made sure they kept moving forward.
    They finally had made it to a rescue center. Over 8,000 children escape Syria without adults, and they had just brought up the numbers (Syria Crisis). Still without a home, Naomi and Keelo refused to give up hope, just like many of the other citizens in Syria. Until now, they just patiently wait for countries like the United States to take them in and give them a home.

Resources
"Syria Crisis." UNICEF USA. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Sept. 2015.

This is a short story about a family who has been affected by the Syrian war and needs to escape. It tells us about a real life situation that many refugees face today.