A Rally to Remember | Teen Ink

A Rally to Remember

January 15, 2015
By B_loops BRONZE, Pensacola, Florida
B_loops BRONZE, Pensacola, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Hardships often prepare ordinary people for extraordinary destiny" C.S. Lewis


Frederick Althaus gripped the rail with sweaty fingers. With each step he took up the stairs to the stage, he felt the pain and suffering he was going to cause his family in just a few moments. He reached the top of the stage and out of the corner of his eye, saw the sea of people, eager to hear him speak. The whole crowd was silent, the only sound being the click of his boot heels as he slowly walked to the podium. Frederick reached the microphone and took out the speech he had prepared for the occasion.  He held it up for all to see and then tore it in half, hurling it from the stage.

Frederick was secretly at odds with virtually every citizen in his town. He had been to his share of rallies, listened to countless speeches, and seen the never-ending propaganda. His friends, family, and nearly all his acquaintances were adamant that Adolf Hitler was the savior of Germany. Yet Frederick was not sold. He did not believe in the Nazi party and of course, he did not make this known to anyone. The scrutiny and verbal torture he would receive would be unbearable. Instead, Frederick played the part of the typical German youth. And he played the part well. His sharp jawline, neatly combed blonde hair, and crisp blue eyes made him the ideal Aryan. He attended all the Nazi parades with his friends and never failed to perform the Hitler Salute at the end of every event, and no one ever doubted his sincerity. Yet it pained Frederick to participate in that which defied his beliefs. For he strongly believed the Nazi regime was corrupt and unjust.  However, he had not always been so convinced of their corruption. This changed when he met Herr Wahrheit.
Frederick had met Herr Wahrheit a year ago on his way home from running an errand for his mother. Frederick had been sent to fetch an heirloom watch that had been fixed by the watchmaker in town. The thing was a sight to behold, a pocket watch with a gold case crested with various gemstones that Frederick could not have named if he tried to. As he walked out of the shop, a roar of laughter startled him immediately to his left. A group of boys around Frederick’s age were huddled in a corner smoking cigarettes. One of them caught his eye, “Aye, waddya got in that bag son,” he called out. “Beats me,” Frederick said hoping to lose their interest. “Just running an errand for my mother.” He turned and walked quickly the opposite way down an alley. “You know lies wont help your cause boy,’’ a different one said. Frederick stopped and turned sharply toward them, “Are you that dull?” he said. “I just walked out of a watch shop. What do you think I have in this bag? Of course you couldn’t connect the dots. Figured as much.” He turned to walk away when the largest of the group sauntered toward him. “That was a mistake kid, gimme the bag and we won’t clean your clock.” Frederick, not one to easily back down, smirked. “Tough going brute, why don’t you ask politely and I might not clean yours?”  The fight which ensued thereafter was one to be remembered. Frederick did what he could and did quite well at that, considering he was facing six of his own size. Eventually however, he was pinned on the ground, the big brute on top of him. What followed was a moment Frederick would never forget. The big brute, ready to pound away, was suddenly lifted away from him and thrown aside. In his place, stood an elderly looking man with spectacles and a cane, not one who would normally be pictured throwing around boys. The man smiled and tipped his hat to Frederick. Behind him, the brute stood up. Grimacing he charged the old man, swinging his fist. The man abruptly turned around, caught the brute’s punch, and brought his cane crashing down on his head in one swift motion. The brute crumpled to the ground and the rest of the boys scattered in various directions. Frederick gaped at the old man, who mumbled to himself as he dragged the unconscious brute and leaned him against the alley wall. The man patted the brute on the shoulder and chuckled, “Eh. You’ll wake with a pretty headache son. You know, respecting your elders includes not attacking them.” He chuckled again and shook his head. He offered his hand to Frederick and helped him up. “My name is Hans Wahrheit,” he said. “Are you still in one piece?” “Yes…yes Herr,” Frederick said bewildered and still shocked at the old man’s agility. “Come with me boy,” Herr Wahrheit said, “I’ll get you a nice cup of tea and you can rest a bit before you go on your way.” He led Frederick to his little home, a modest little cottage. The old man fixed him a steaming cup of tea and quite a few treats. Frederick thanked him and the two conversed for quite a while, losing track of time. Surprisingly, Frederick enjoyed the Herr Wahrheit’s company and returned the next day, and the next. Before he new it, Frederick found himself visiting old Herr Wahrheit every day after school. The two became close and Frederick shared all his woes and problems with Herr Wahrheit, who always had keen insight at the tip of his tongue to respond with.
It was the day that Frederick joined the Hitler Youth that everything changed. Immediately after he joined, he hurried to Herr Wahrheit’s cottage to tell him the news, expecting a great pat on the back and a chuckle of approval. Instead, after hearing the news, Herr Wahrheit clenched his jaw and leaned back into his chair. He looked off into the distance and shook his head. He then looked deep into Frederick’s eyes and spoke, “Do you not see?” he asked sternly. Frederick, thoroughly confused and disappointed inquired what he could possibly mean. Herr Wahrheit smiled and pulled up a chair for him. “Sit,” he said. That day two talked more extensively than usual. In fact, it was the longest but most important conversation Frederick had with Herr Wahrheit. 
The crowd gasped as Frederick tore up his speech. He let it fly from his hands and the wind carried the shreds throughout the masses. Frederick had walked out of that conversation with Herr Wahrheit a new man. Herr Wahrheit admitted to Frederick that he was an agent in the German Resistance. He had told him of the corruption of the Nazi party, how they lied to the people and were cruel to those they hated. He told him of the invasions of the surrounding nations, how they were helpless against the German onslaught. Frederick was enraged but was told by Wahrheit to continue on with the Hitler Youth and become a leader to earn respect from his peers. He did so and his commanding officers were so impressed with his qualities that they asked him to give a speech of motivation at the next Nazi rally. And a speech of motivation the audience was about to receive. He knew what he was going to do was dangerous, but he was prepared for the consequences.
Frederick grasped the podium with both hands and spoke, “Friends, brethren, and fellow countrymen. I stand here today to inform you of a great misfortune within our country. We are gathered to celebrate the success of the Nazi party, the success of their victories over Poland, France, and Belgium. We celebrate and cheer when we read of the army’s’ success in the newspaper. But I ask you, why do you cheer? Have you considered why we fight against our neighboring countries? Have you considered what the Polish, the French, or the Belgians could have done against the people of Germany to warrant such an onslaught? Have they attacked us or murdered our countrymen? Nay, rather we have attacked them without cause, and murdered their countrymen. We have committed acts of violence against those who have not caused us to suffer any violence. What is the point of war? Is it the sport or game this reckless party treats it as? Nay, rather it is the last resort a nation must use to re-establish peace. And peace has not been pursued; it has been chased down and destroyed. People of Germany I ask you again. Why do you cheer? Why do you raise your voices in happiness at the slaughter of innocent men? Why do you support this party who unjustly declares war upon other nations? Realize your mistake and make right your wrongs. We are one people who can stand against this wicked party. People of Germany, come to me and listen!”
His death was swift. A single shot echoed across the whole town square. Frederick clutched his chest and slumped against the podium. In a final desperate attempt, he reached out and clutched the microphone, bringing it towards his lips. Breathing heavily he spoke, “Do you not see?”  He closed his eyes contentedly and tumbled off the stage. The crowd roared. Amidst the crowd, Hans Wahrheit smiled.


The author's comments:

What constitutes a nation to declare war on another nation? What makes a declaration of war just? In this short story, my goal was to show the requirements for a "just war." Frederick represents the unpopular individual who stands up for what is right even when his life is on the line. In his speech, he shows how the Nazi regime is unjust in declaring war on helpless nations and pleads with the people of Germany to listen to him.