Lewis 'Chesty' Puller: Going Where The Guns Are

I sit in class, pretending to pay attention to our history teacher. My eyes search the room for Lewis. I spot him listening intently to the lesson. Of course he is; this lesson is about Stonewall Jackson. Honestly, I don’t see Lewis’s fascination with the guy. Yes, Stonewall Jackson had guts, but seriously? His own team shot his arm, he had to have his arm amputated, he contracted pneumonia, and then he died …not exactly how I’d want to go down in history. My foot taps against the floor, my impatience growing as the time drags on. I need to tell him about my brother, who’d just returned from fighting in France. He served in the 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment. Knowing that Lewis would like to listen to Francesco’s adventures too. I’d told him to wait until Lewis and I could leave school together for him to tell us the stories. Finally the bell rings and I jump up and grab my books.
“Lewis!” I call following him out of the room, “Lewis,” I say again as I catch up to him in the hall.
“Yes, Liborio, what is it?” he asks looking at me with dark eyes that seemed to command authority.
“Francesco is home. He just returned from France last night!” I announce excitedly.
Lewis’s eyes gleam and flash with joy. “That’s great, Liborio! Did he say anything about the battles he was in?” he asks.
“No, he hasn’t. I told him to wait until I could get you to come and listen,” I explain. Lewis nods.
“Alright, I’ll see you two after school. Bye!” Lewis said leaving for his next class.
Pacing the parade ground in front of the school’s main building I await Lewis and Francesco to arrive. The cadets had retired the flag, and school was over, so they should be here soon. I run my finger along the collar of my uniform, pulling it away from my neck nervously. I look around now and then, trying to see if my brother or friend is coming; I look at my watch, and look up again. Finally, I spot Lewis walking across the parade grounds. When he sees me he jogs over.
“Where’s Francesco?” he asks.
“Coming, he’ll be here soon,” I say quickly.
“This better be good, Liborio, or else. If I don’t keep my grades up the school will kick me out,” Lewis mutters.
“You think I don’t know that? Lewis, if this wasn’t going to be good, I’d be studying right now. I don’t want VMI to boot be either. I just think this is way better than sitting up late staring at text books,” I snap.

Lewis looks around. “There he is!” he exclaims.
Pointing, I see Francesco running towards us,
“Hey little brother and Lewis,” Francesco said. We go and sit on a near by bench.
“Where were you this time?” Lewis asks my brother excitedly,
“Belleau wood. The 5th Marines and some of the 6th had to march 10 kilometers after the Germans punched through the French lines. We did it, and 4 days later we got attacked by the Germans., Francesco explained. He launched into an explanation of the battle, detailing the fight, vividly describing the deaths of the men around him. Francesco chokes up as he describes some of his buddies dying. Lewis and I listened with rapt attention to every detail, taking it all in. With Lewis getting more jittery as the time went on, I could tell he was excited.

As we walked back from the parade grounds we were silent, thinking of Francesco’s explanation of the battle. With voice impassioned yet firm, Lewis finally spoke up,
“I want to go where the guns are, Liborio, I don’t want to sit and study for the whole war! I couldn’t fight in Mexico ‘cause I was too young, but I am not sitting this one out!”
“What do you plan to do?”, I ask him.
“You’ll see,” Lewis says. We say good night and head home for the night.

The next day, I can’t find Lewis at school at all. I went to talk to the principal about Lewis’s disappearance.
“Lewis Puller dropped out to enlist in the Marines,” the principal tells to me. Leaving his office I smile, and shake my head that’s what Lewis meant about wanting to go where the guns are.

A few weeks later I got a letter from Lewis. He says he is deploying to Haiti, having graduated from OCS a fortnight ago. Smiling, I lay the letter down on my desk and returned to studying for my exam. My buddy Lewis Puller is a Marine and an officer at that. His wish is now true- he is going where the guns are.

Murcielago said...
“Belleau wood. The 5th Marines and some of the 6th had to march 10 kilometers after the Germans punched through the French lines. We did it, and 4 days later we got attacked by the Germans., Francesco explained. He launched into an explanation of the battle, detailing the fight, vividly describing the deaths of the men around him. Francesco chokes up as he describes some of his buddies dying. Lewis and I listened with rapt attention to every detail, taking it all in. With Lewis getting mor... (more »)

For-God-And-CountryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Ahhh, I see now, thanks for pointing that out!  Sorry I made it confusing.

Murcielago said...
I really enjoyed the story! There were some errors through the story here and there but the idea was awesome :)

What errors?  Please expand on so I can know what to do better next time. :-D

CammyS said...
I thought it was really good and you made Lewis's motivation really clear. I felt the only problem was the lack of historical context. Though the writing was really good, it felt like Lewis could be anyone who wanted to join the army. If you explained what war they were fighting and who Lewis was when he was famous (he was famous, right? Or is he not? I've never heard of him, but I haven't heard of a lot of famous people) then that might help. Oh, and for more emotional connecti... (more »)

OK, one thing, he joined the Marine Corps(there's difference. :-P)  Adn yes Lewis 'Chesty' Puller is a famous Marine, he earned 5 Navy Crosses(the most a Marine has ever earned, he's one of teh highest decorated Marines) And I see what you mean by context, but I did say that Francesco had just coem from fighting in Belleau Wood, a WWI battle, though I see how that isn't too much of a clue.   And the events are semi-historical, Lewis 'Chesty' Puller did d... (more »)

Claudia.VII said...
Brilliantly done! I'm feeling more patriotic already. No, in all serious, it really was a tale that provided a power behind it. You made war sound romantic (and in that, I mean adventurous), which is a hard feat to do considering authors usually only cluck about the aftermath of blood and gore. Some people forget that for others, this isn't just some child's dream for glory, they know full-well what they're getting into, and they're not throwing their lives away,&nb... (more »)

thegoldenllama said...
Wow, moving! Well written! I really like the characters' patriotism and enthusiasm, adds a nice touch to their depths and the overall plot was really interesting!! Fabulous-o, bravo. :)

Snowflakes said...
This is really nice :) It is very inspirping as to showing why people fight for their countries, and how school isn't the only thing that can get you far. 
I have a lot of respect for you writing this :) well done! 

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Powerful. It really makes one stop and think about those brave men/woment who are fighting and what they've been through/ going through. Thank you for this.

KeepLiving said...
Really detailed and inspiring! I especially like the detail put in, like when you said about the uniform collar and there is some real feeling in this piece. Nice job! Keep writing!

PargaranThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow - your writing is really well done!
Could you check out mine too?
TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/491313/Autumn-Wish/

Athim said...
I really enjoyed this nice work. :)

deepoceanblue said...
Good Job! :)

YourNotVeryFairLadyOrNot This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow...that was really good, Live! I;m (no offense) really shocked. The feeling put into this was amazing.

Skrillex_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
nice bro good