Autumn Wish

Flight.
All humanity craves it.
To step off the edge of a cliff, and not fall. To have wings to carry you far, far away from all reality...

I watch a bird land on a tree branch as I gaze out my window.
I stare longingly as he opens his wings, and in an instant, he's up and away.
Letting out a long sigh, and lay my pencil down. It's funny how even a pencil can seem heavy...
Pushing away from my desk, I slowly step toward the door.
'What's this longing?' I wonder, staring down at my feet as I walk.
'And why does it seem to consume me?'
I walk down a long hallway to the balcony.
Looking up at the pale white curtains, I sigh again.
Finally, I pull them away, and slide open the door.
When I step out, a chill runs up my spine. The cool autumn air is crisp, and it surprises my senses.
I look around at the now golden coloured trees, and take a deep breath.
Cautiously, I walk toward the edge, making sure not to step in any translucent puddles. When I unknowingly do step in one, I gasp; much louder than I would have liked.
Fearfully, I look back toward the door, making sure that it didn't stir those inside.
It's early morning, and the dawn is just beginning.
I've been awake most of the night, tossing and turning, praying for an answer.
Why do I so strongly desire to escape from this ground, this gravity?

To have wings to carry you far, far away from all reality.
To step off the edge of a cliff, and not fall.
All humanity craves it.
Flight...

ramona7This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:17 am:
excellent imagery......simply loved it.....keep up the good work !!! ^_^

PargaranThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:05 pm :
Thank you!! And right back at ya. (:

so_joyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:33 am:
That was absolutely magnificent! The personification and metaphors brought this story to life, and I honestly felt as if I was standing right next to you. The idea of flight is magical, and at the same time, unthinkable because it is impossible. You expressed your desire clearly and in a beautiful way. Oustanding job. Possibly one of my favorites on TeenInk. Please read, rate, and comment on my poems! It would mean a lot :) Thanks!

Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:14 am :
Oh my goodness, thank you so much for your comment! That was so encouraging to read. :) I'll certainly check out some of your stuff.

PargaranThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Thanks! haha, awesome. I've always wanted to fly...I'm so glad I was able to share this with a bunch of people on TeenInk. :)

elites5 said...
Sept. 27, 2012 at 12:35 am:
That was so good! It was moving and made me think of when I was younger and wanted to fly. :)

DomoandUnicorns said...
Woah.... you're a really good poet. That was really well written  

Sept. 26, 2012 at 8:54 pm :
Thank you so so much! :)
I'm glad you liked it.