Poisoned | Teen Ink

Poisoned

By Kandabear SILVER, East Bend, North Carolina
Kandabear SILVER, East Bend, North Carolina

"I went insane from long intervals of sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe
"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say but what we are unable to say." - Unknown
"You must say drunk on writing so that reality can not destory you." - Ray Bradbury

Liberation they said as they walked through the aftermath, the evidence of our dual existence, our obvious conflict. It was difficult to witness their tender faces painted noble and uniforms of immortal heroism. They gathered some and set others aside and called us liberated.

And how am I liberated? While darkness still haunts my mind’s eye. The air I breathe, the world as I see, and everything in it is tainted with humanity’s ignorance to our plight, our suffering. They took us up in the masses, outwardly gregarious yet still coarse. We tromped through our dead, fallen kin and neighbor. And as we moved, I tried to rectify the last decade of my existence.

I closed my eyes against the outside watched the nightmares unfold. I remembered all I had seen. The distorted images of children face down in streets, of bodies broken and battered, of the smell and taste of flesh in the wind. The SS screamed in my head that I was a demon, my blood was a blemish in the sight of my own country. My friends and family were pushed together in cramped complexes, begging for water, food, and mercy. I signed a card on a train for my family of forced reassurance.

Would it be difficult to breathe in society? I could be like so many others, dogmatic in disbelief, denying such scrupulous evidence for false satisfaction. I might stand in the crowds and portray the illusion of gross disgust and deep sympathies. I could pretend to forget. But in doing so, would I not be what the nations had acclaimed for years?

Would I not be a poison?

Would I not be a poison to my fallen, a poison to the truth and the very history of man? Would I not be the virus of plaguing ignorance? The very thing I despised in this world. I would only become the representation of the uniforms’ words.

I looked into the sky and saw the ash that shaded the sunlight. The warmth that once seemed so tenuous, now my spirit longed for dried and withered. And still they carried me as a shell of my prior identity and still they screamed that I was liberated. Tenacious soldiers pushed us to our freedom.

My freedom.

As I watched the last of us alive being filed in a most civil fashion, I was reminded that though I was alive, I had already died in this place. The rationalism I had once understood, my observations, the general familiarity I’d loved, now corrupted by the abundance of failing will-power. My training and discipline were now a decaying memory. Insignificant.

I was no longer who I had once been.

I was no longer who I once knew.

I was an empty vessel.

And for the first time in my years of imprisonment and slavery, in my time of fighting to survive, and justify; I felt weak and vulnerable. I felt as though I couldn’t survive, that I would fall and never open my eyes again.

I felt like a poison.

This is a piece from the point of view of a German Jew after the end of the Holocaust

Just.A.Dream SILVER, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Part of the J7X team. :)

Very good diction!

It was amazing, it sounded sooo sad though!

katie-cat GOLD said...
on Apr. 30 2010 at 11:34 am
katie-cat GOLD, McClellandtown, Pennsylvania

"Look after my heart, I've left it with you."- Edward Cullen
"To love another person is to see the face of God . . ."- Les Miserables
"Don't say the old lady screamed. Bring her out and let her scream." - Mark Twain

This was very good and descriptive.  I really felt like I was there.  I especially loved the line where he's talking about even though he's alive he'd already died in that place.  That was perfect.  Sometimes there are those lines that just give you chills.  When I'm rereading something of mine that I wrote, there's always that one line that I absolutely love, and always have a soft spot for.  You really nailed this piece.  It was beautiful.

Wow! Haha. First, thank you for the comment. Second, it doesn't matter really. A few random words to enchance my creative writing would be great thanks.

Thank you. It's actually a piece of a novel I hope to write, Lord willing.

Thank you so much. A kind and encouraging word is always wanted here.

on Apr. 28 2010 at 11:56 am
thescientistyellow GOLD, Nauvoo, Alabama

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

Gotta say I was very impressed about the language in this piece...Very well written altogether...

on Apr. 28 2010 at 8:46 am
thats.about.it. BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada

I was the kid next door's imaginary friend. -Emo Phillips

oh, this was super good. i liked the whole theme. it was really great.

_NoAir_ BRONZE said...
_NoAir_ BRONZE, Toronto, Other

There are as many ways to live as there are people in this world. Each one deserves a closer look.

–Golly (Harriet The Spy)

Wow! This is great! Um, I read your reply to my thread, and I just want to know, what type of story idea do you want?

EXTREMELY random ideas:

-If you write poetry, then perhaps the point of view from the grave

-Maybe the point of view from a type of person that is important in history

You might like to write poetry from points of views like me, so these are a few ideas to pump your brain a bit. Hope this was 20% useful!  [Too specific]

on Apr. 27 2010 at 11:39 am

Haha. Thanks so much! It means a lot have a bit of feedback =]

on Apr. 27 2010 at 11:39 am

Thank you =) Encouragement is always a blessing.

on Apr. 27 2010 at 10:33 am
Secret_Love_Tells GOLD, Harrisonburg, Virginia

"I love you more than the sun loves the sky and the moon loves the stars" --my best friend
"Do it for love." --sark
"One does not succeed in never falling but in getting back up evertime they do so."- Confucius

Oh my goodness! That is really good!

SandyC SILVER said...
on Apr. 27 2010 at 7:25 am
SandyC SILVER, Concord, Other

"In the end it won't matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away"

wow...wat an amazing piece....i luved yur discriptions...keep writing..yur 2 good not 2 :)

on Apr. 27 2010 at 7:12 am

Oh thank you so much for the feedback. I'm very grateful =]

OhSnapple GOLD said...
OhSnapple GOLD, Concord, New Hampshire
This is really good I liked it :) - *wc kind of ify