Everything Changes: Part Two | Teen Ink

Everything Changes: Part Two

"Flora! Slow down, we need to talk about this!" Cody said as we ran through the streets of New York. We'd been running for a while and I had no plans of stopping until we got back home. I ignored him and tried to keep pulling him along, but he stopped running and pulled me back instead. He looked at me with concern, "What the hell happened back there?"
I turned around and kept walking, "I don't know! How would I know! That has never happened to me before." I was freaking out.
"Well that's why we need to talk about this and figure it out," he said, walking catching up to me and making me stop again. I swear, that guy can stay calm in even the most chaotic situations.
"We are not going to openly discuss this in the middle of the city!" I hissed, "We need to get home!"
"Flora, home is 10 miles from here, do you really expect me to run home with you?" he said, "Let's just get a taxi or, better yet, call Yoko to come pick us up in the limousine."
"Oh s***! Yoko! She was still at the party, do you think she's ok?" I asked, worried.
Cody put his hand on my shoulder, "Yes, she's fine. She texted me shortly after we ran out of there." He looked me in the eyes "She said you scared away the people with the guns."
"Oh my God!" I said panicking, "Okay, call her to pick us up." We sat down on a bench, ignoring all the people walking around us, I closed my eyes and tried to calm down.
About ten minutes later a black limousine pulled up along the sidewalk. The windows rolled down and Yoko popped her head out.
"Get in the if you want to live," she said smiling, trying to make the best of a weird situation. Cody and I climbed into the back and Yoko rolled down the divider.
"So," she said, "Does anyone want to tell me how Flora burned a guy's face off?" she asked, a little too casually.
I sighed and covered my face with my hands, "I have no idea." I wanted to cry and laugh and scream all at the same time. I felt like I was going crazy.
I looked up, "Does everyone know it was me?" I asked afraid.
"No," Yoko answered, "It happened so fast and everyone was freaking out, no one really knows what happened."
I leaned back in my seat, finally calming down. "Thank. God."

We remained quiet the rest of the drive home, mostly to recover from the insanity we had just witnessed. As soon as I got home I went straight into my room and took my shirt off. I stood in front of the mirror and stared, shocked, at the faint scar on my chest where the bullet had gone in. I reached into my pocket and took out the bullet. It looked like a regular bullet, but I couldn’t be too sure. Maybe it was some new sort of technology and the blue light hadn't come from me after all, but that wouldn't explain why my skin healed the way it did. Still, I had to check every possibility. I was going to test it either way. Unfortunately, I was no good at science, not my division, but luckily I knew someone who was.

“Hi, I’m here to see Tony,” I said to Mrs. Arbogast, holding up my ID.
She looked up at me, her glasses on the end of her nose, she could tell I was nervous. I swear that woman can smell fear. “Mr. Stark is busy at the moment,” she said dryliy.
“Okay,” I sighed and took a seat in the waiting room. I had been sitting, staring off into space, for about five minutes when the door to Tony’s office opened and a very distressed looking Bethany Cabe walked out. As she past me I heard her mumble something about it being “too early to be drinking.” A very annoyed looking Tony Stark stood in the doorway watching her leave.
“You can go in now Ms. Grey,” Mrs. Arbogast said.
“Thanks,” I replied with a weak smile.

“This better be good,” Stark said “I have more important things to be doing right now.”
“Like day drinking?” I asked eyeing the glass of scotch that rested on his desk.
“Don’t sass me Grey,” he snapped, then he sighed “Just tell me why this was too urgent to talk about over the phone.”
“Well…” I took a deep breath and handed him the bullet.
“What the Hell is this?” he asked in confusion.
“It’s too weird,” I said not finding the right words to explain to him what had happened. “I think there’s something wrong with it. It was...um...glowing…” I trailed off.
“Glowing??” He covered his face with his hands. “You better not be joking because I really don’t need this right now.”
“I swear I’m telling the truth,” I pleaded. “Please can you just check it for me? Just find out if its radiated of some sort of new technology?”
“What happened with it anyway?” Then he looked concerned, “Did someone shoot you?”
“That’s not important, can you just find out what it is and get back to me?”
“Okay,” he said, “I’ll call you.”

It was a few days before I heard anything back from the engineer, and life continued as normal. I was alittle surprised when I got a call from him at 4am, but I eagerly picked up the phone.
“Hello,” I said sleepily.
“Flora!” he practically yelled, causing me to yank my head away from my phone. “I need to know if you got shot.”
“Yes, why? Is everything okay?”
“There was a DNA sample on the bullet,” he said cautiously, “It’s teeming with radiation, it’s like Chernobyl!”
I was silent, he was silent, we were both silent for a minute unsure of what to say.
“Is that DNA sample yours?” he asked.
“Its has to be, I was the one who got shot.”
“Where did you get shot? Maybe I can inspect the wound?”
I bit my lip and took a deep breath, “There is no wound.” I said quietly.
“I don’t understand? How can there be no-”
“Because it healed! I got shot in the heart and my body got really hot and started to glow and the bullet fell out and the hole closed up!” I said all at once, quite frantically.
“Flora,” Tony said carefully “The bullets not radiated… you are.”

Disclaimer: I do not own Marvel or any of it's charactors, I only own my original charactors that I made up for the purpose of fanfiction.

Please read part one and please comment!! :)