Everyday Use: Alternative Era | Teen Ink

Everyday Use: Alternative Era

By p456juan BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
p456juan BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

Everyone you know is fighting a battle that you are not aware of...

Seven years ago, the government of the US, decided to bombard the four cities of
Alabama. The cities included Montgomery, Columbus, Dothan, and Mobile, which were hit by
tactical ballistic missiles from Fort Gillem near Atlanta, Georgia. The cause of the attack was a
massive revolt against the US for the inhuman treatment of non-white people. The name of the
group was called Vox populi, a set of people that want to rebuild America into a fair and truly
free nation at ALL costs who got a huge following from multiple citizens of all races and places
within the US. The number of injured was 85,000, with the number of death being 21,000 .The
highest percentage of 41% being African American. The remaining ones alive after the attack
were the ones who have suffered more with poor health care and low hygiene. The bombings
were so powerful that multiple people were dismembered within seconds of the attack, half of
the city became ruins, and many more dying of environmental causes. After the bombing, the
National Guard controlled the situation without helping no one. For America, the country
became completely isolated with the US having there seat within the United Nations removed
and having multiple sanctions in place for their misconduct of the UN rules. Dee, one of many
African Americans that were near Heaven’s Fall (Another name for the Alabama Bombing) had
been given a new title, “The witness”. Those was the title gaven to people who witness the
atrocities of mankind on November 3, 2007.
Seven years later, Dee, 21, was walking down Polecat Bay in Mobile, Alabama, going
towards her mother’s living quarters. Her Moms living quarters was a house that looked more
like a simple pile of cobblestone built for an animal. As she got closer, she remembered more
and more about what happened 7 years ago and got into deep thought, until her sister Maggie
jumped on top of her.
“Where have you been Dee, my mom told me you would be gone for a few days, but it’s
been a whole year, and when I tried to tell mom where you were, she kept saying that you
were working with the government and that you have traveled the world and… ” Explained to
Dee as quick as she could in a never ending sentence.
“Hey, hey, hey, calm down, everything is ok, but how’s it been sis?” questioned Dee.
Maggie, looked question, “whose sis?” As Dee was about to explain, Mama walks in
yelling, “It’s time for din….er”.
Mama just stared at Dee’s eyes as if she was seeing Satan himself. Mama, quickly told
Maggie, “Sweetie, stay out here as your sister and I talk, ok?”
She quietly said a very quietly and sweetly answer, “Yes”.
She turned around in enough to notice Maggie’s burnt scar that she suffered when she
was hit with a steaming hot piece of shrapnel on that miserable day. She was just 6 years old
when Heaven’s Fall occurred. Dee was just in shock and disoriented after the attack. While her
sister Maggie, screamed in awfulness. Dee walked into mama’s house and the strong odor of
death rushed out of the house to hit her directly. Mama shut the door so loudly that a bolt fell
of the door, cutting Dee’s fresh supply of oxygen. Mama asks Dee one simple question, “Dee,
what the hell are you doing here?”
“One, my name is not Dee any more, it’s Jacky, because if you don’t remember, Dee is a
typical name of a slave.” Dee slowly replies at her with 2 statements.
She pause for a sec and continued, “Two, Why can’t I visit the only sister I have?”
Mama just told Dee, “Really, Jacky, such a typical white girl’s name, and I don’t want
you influence my little sweet peach into committing crimes!”
“Really mom, just because I followed my dad’s step, a member of the Vox Populi, but
that doesn’t mean I will get my sister into this, I’m here to check on her” Quoted angrily at
mama.
“Really, then why the hell does she have a massive scar in the on the back, actually you
know what….. that scar symbolize the failure you are to this family, the epitome of all sins of
this great nation!” yelled mama with great passion.
”Mom, you know the reason why I was in the city was because you sent me to the store,
even after you knew how dangerous it was out there, you sent both me and Maggie just
because you were too SCARED to look outside” paused Dee for a second. AND THAT GREAT
NATION OF YOURS NEVER HAS EXISTED AND IT WILL NEVER BE FAIR UNLESS THE VOX POPULI
RIS….!”Dee swans back as mother slaps her on right cheek with all of her potential force.
“What the hell… you haven’t changed a single bit, your still so god- damn selfish” answered Dee
(Jacky) with a very distasteful look on her face.
“Don’t talk about the god’s name in vein, he will punish you….” Answer mama with a
dark look on her face.
“Mama, if God was actually real, we African AMERICAN wouldn’t be punished so unfairly
in this disgusting country, and anything you say won’t change the real reality we are living in.”
Silently quoted Jacky (Dee). “Yet, I just want to know one more thing before I go, has Maggie gotten
any good education thanks to your stupid bubble of yours….” Asked Mama with a plane face.
Mama answers with a simple, yet devastating words, “Well it’s not like your young sister even
gives a f*** about you”.
As Jacky heard that, she quickly rushed out the door, picked Maggie up and booked it. She
didn’t look back, but she was sure she heard a single shot. She kept running until she could no longer
breath. When she got to the car she notice her shirt dripping in blood, and she thought Maggie was shot
but realized she was the one who got shot….
”Dee, are you ok, your bleeding, please just don’t die, PLEASE!!!” said Maggie as she started to
drown in her own tears.
“Hey, hey, it’s just a graze, so I just need some anti-biotic alcohol, good bandages, and a little
time to rest, ok?” Talked Dee as she looked down at her wound.
“I saw how mom shot you with her rifle, she is going to kill me, last time I tried to ru…. ” Paused
Maggie as Dee interrupted.
“Wait, what did she do to you?”Asked Dee.
Maggie didn’t say a word and just lifted her top to relieve her upper torso. At that instance, she
saw her dark purple bruises and was so badly nutritioned that you could see her broken ribs through her
thin dark skin. All that Dee did next was ordered Maggie to get in the car. She then just hit the navy blue
peddle and didn’t stop until she was out of the city. Mother just started crying onto her rifle as the car
started to leave her behind as Maggie looked back.