Helpful Secrets | Teen Ink

Helpful Secrets

October 20, 2014
By Ashlea Tanner BRONZE, Roy, Utah
Ashlea Tanner BRONZE, Roy, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

David and I walk through the park after a lovely picnic that he had surprised me with. He so thoughtful that way. We had decided to take a walk and enjoy the nature around us. As we walked I felt David looking at me. So I looked at him as well. He smiled innocently.
“You know, Abbey, You are a real gem.” David said with the sun hitting his face just right to show the honey glow in his cheeks as he spoke. I smiled back at him.
“Well you, David, are a rare find” I said as he brought up his gentle hands to stroke my long flowing red hair. He laughed and smiled with that honey glow that melts my heart every time. We continued to walk and after a while we noticed a van that was parked up ahead. We could hear voices coming from the van.
“Careful! Those boxes have fragile things in them! If we break them the boss will have our butts!” The back of the van opened up and four men get out. They all take turns carrying big boxes and setting them down on the sidewalk. Soon the boxes blocked us from walking any further.  David went up to one of them. He was a tall, muscular looking man, with black hair and tan skin.
“Excuse me?” David said to them. They all turned around to look at us. They all had something unique about their appearances. One looked like he had been in a fight with a barbed wire fence. The scars are all over his face. One goes down the center of his face. I called him scar Face. The other two looked like twins! In fact, I think they were twins. Both had bushy blonde hair, and well ugly faces. They both had one long birthmark on the side of their faces. They were called Mark Twins.
“Um, we can’t get through all these boxes that you have placed on the sidewalk. Could you please move them?” David asked as nicely as possible. The one David was talking to, looked over at the boxes. As he did I caught glimpse of a tattoo. A snake tattoo. I called him snake man.
“Oh! Well that’s embarrassing! I guess we weren’t watching where we were putting these” Snake man turned towards the other three and I could see something buldging out of his pocket. I didn’t think quickly enough. Soon all four men had pointed guns in our faces. I froze in fear. David stood in front of me as to shield me. The four men have a look of seriousness on their faces. Like this is the sort of thing they do every day.
“Be careful! We don’t want to damage the package!” Said Scar Face. Now we had both seen our fair share of cop shows to know what that meant. David became more protective. He stayed standing in front of me.
“You will not touch her.” David said calmly. The four men started to laugh. They had actually stopped coming towards us to laugh. David and I look at each other with confusion on our faces. I stand next to David. I look at the four men.
“David, you are about to see something that most people would find scary, but I don’t want you to freak out ok?” I look at David and he is smiling. That honey glow melts my heart. “Do you trust me David?” I ask him. He looks at me.
“I do trust you.” He said smiling. I stand in front of David blocking him from the four men. They have stopped laughing and had continued to walk towards us.
“We aren’t here for her! We are here for you David!” said scar face. David took a step back. Smart move. Considering at what I am about to do. I block the men from him and they laugh at me. “Look who is trying to be a hero!” said scar face.
“Don’t under estimate me!” I yelled at them. Then one of the car doors open and someone steps out of the car. I can’t move now. This is someone I know all too well. My biological father Travis stands next to Scar face.
“What’s the hold up? Oh. Abbey you need to leave us alone right now, because as you can see, Daddy is very busy.” Travis says. I stare at him with hatred in my eyes. I ball my hands into fists. Travis snaps his fingers and the four men split up. Two grab me and hold me back. The other two grab David and drag him to the van. David fights them, and he gets punched by Travis. I lose it. I hit the two men holding me in the gut. They fall to the ground and I stand in front of Travis. The two holding David stop when they reach the van.
“Abbey, you’re related to him?” David asks me. I keep my eyes on Travis. I can feel that David is worried. That I might get hurt, but soon he will see I can protect myself.
“Yes she is my daughter and this doesn’t concern her so she needs to head home before I punish-“
“STOP! I am not your daughter! You destroyed that a long time ago!” I stand up straight. “Now you have given me no other choice but to do this!” I hold my hands up above my head. Travis laughs and hits David again.
“That won’t help you my dear Abbey! We aren’t scared of you!” Travis says as he continues to hit David. My hands cross at the wrist and two fingers stick out of both hands. “But go ahead, show him! He won’t care who you are anymore, he won’t like you anymore!” Travis yells. I prove him wrong. I start to glow with all my power.
  Travis, David, and all the men glance towards me. I am luminous and vibrant with color, to the intensity and brightness that they have to shield their eyes. I look at them and smile. This is it. No more lying to David.
“ENCHANTIX!” My transformation begins. My brown hair pulls up so tightly as though in a dancer bun. My clothes begin to change in layers of a blue and pink gown that comes down so gracefully to my knees. A necklace is now upon my neck with enchanted beauty that contains my fairy dust.
The wings are the most glorious part of my transformation that leave most speechless. They stretch as far as my imagination. I finished my transformation and stare at Travis. I have such power that the four men are running away from me.
“Leave. Him. Alone!” I yell at Travis. David is staring at me in awe with a smile upon his honey glow face. Wait. He is smiling?! That’s great news for me. “Sonic Bass boom!” Sound waves from my hand fly out and surround Travis. He holds his hands over his ears and screams in agony. David fades into blue and white lights. Then he is beside me. ‘He’s a white lighter?!’ I think to myself
“David lets go we don’t need to stay here anymore.” We leave and Travis yells in rage that I will be in for one good punishment when I go to his house this summer. As we fly away, David smiles and kisses me. We land behind a large oak tree so no one can see me. I power down, so I look like I did before I transformed. David and I forgot about that day and never again did I speak to my father.
Many years later, we are getting our little girl ready to go to the college for Fairies. Fairy University. She has grown up so much, I hope she has her own adventures. Maybe even some secrets too. Because some secrets, can be helpful when revealed later in life. David and I watch her walk into the school. Now it’s her turn to have adventures.
Because our little Melody has grown up to be a beautiful fairy of music. Just like I did all those years ago, she has started a new chapter. David and I head home. To make a new secret to hide. Who knows, maybe it will be helpful later.
 


The author's comments:

This is something I have been working on for a long time and I hope everyone Likes it.

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences