Facing The Champion | Teen Ink

Facing The Champion

April 26, 2013
By WolfsBane SILVER, Kerrville, Texas
WolfsBane SILVER, Kerrville, Texas
8 articles 3 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Death in anonymity is the ultimate insult to human dignity.”
-Kathy Reichs


I stand. I take a deep breath. All my incessant work, training like a zealot has led up to this moment. All around me, light blue fires surround the massive statue in front of me. After so many unfortunate trips to the Unovan Elite Four, I'm still not sure what it was supposed to be. Another deep breath. In, out. I walk forward and touch the plaque on the statue's pedestal.
Immediately, the ground underneath me shudders. The circle that the statue and I stand on starts sinking down, down, down into the bowels of the earth. I find myself in a tunnel. Ahead of me is a stone staircase about 300 yards long. I climb the stairs slowly, steadily, bravely. I stop before the massive Greek-style building at the top and take another deep breath. Aloud, I mutter "Let's do this," and, almost capriciously, run into it.
There, I see an impossibly high statue of a Dragon-type Pokemon, a picture depicting the orbiting planets, and the champion of the Unova region, Iris. She asks, "Are you ready?" I take one last deep breath, look back, and say, "Yes. I am." We take our starting positions and begin our battle.


The author's comments:
This is a rough draft for a journal write that I had to do this month. I love Pokemon, and this has to do with one of the harder battles of my "journey": my battle against the champion in Pokemon Black 2 and White 2, Iris (sorry for the people who want the game but don't have it. Spoiler! :)) Oh, and I couldn't find anything else for my article-accompaning image.