Reaping - Prim | Teen Ink

Reaping - Prim

By BostonTerrierGrl56 SILVER, (City), Virginia
BostonTerrierGrl56 SILVER, (City), Virginia

I am so nervous. It’s my first reaping, and Katniss wouldn’t let me take any tesserae, so my name is in that big glass ball only once. Still, for the first time, there is the smallest change that my name may be drawn. And, just like other years, I worry about Katniss. Her name is in there twenty times. What if it’s her name that gets pulled out?

I am still thinking in circles when Effie Trinket with her crooked pink wig announces, “Happy Hunger Games! And my the odds be ever in your favor!” She talks about how excited and happy she is, then moves over to where the girls’ names are, saying, “Ladies first!”

She sticks her hand into the ball and dramatically brings out a slip of paper. Slowly, as if she is trying to build up excitement, she smoothes out the paper. Then, I hear the name in her happy voice.

“Primrose Everdeen!”

It takes me a second to realize – that’s me. Effie just called my name, and I will be in the seventy-fourth Hunger Games. My nightmares from last night came true.

What happened? I was more worried about Katniss, or her friend Gale. They had their names in those balls too many times. But I was only in once! What happened?

I tell my legs to move, and they obey. I slowly walk up to the stage, where Effie waits to congratulate me. Like I wanted my name to be called.

“Prim!” The sound comes from behind me, and I turn to see its source. Katniss yells my name again, running towards me. She pushes me away from the steps to the stage and says, “I volunteer! I volunteer as tribute!”

I am still processing this while the people on the stage debate about what to do. Realizing what my sister has just done, I grab onto her. “No, Katniss!” I scream. “No! You can’t go!”

From the Hunger Games. The reaping narrated by Prim.

on Sep. 7 2017 at 6:21 am
Realjay41 DIAMOND, Culpeper , Virginia
I love this! I have always wanted to know what Prim was thinking during the reaping.

on Apr. 13 2012 at 7:55 pm
Ms.PeytonLovesHP GOLD, Rancho Cordova, California

“We are all a little weird and life is a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” - Doctor Seuss

I agree, you should make this a novel...... :) its really good so far!

on Apr. 12 2012 at 6:49 pm
BloglessBlogger GOLD, Somerset, California

"Don't let the fear of striking out keep keep you from playing the game."

You shoud make this into a novel of Prim throughout the hunger Games!!!

on Apr. 12 2012 at 5:00 pm
StellaDPloom SILVER, Hudson, New Hampshire

"The road to hell is paved with adverbs."
~Stephen King

This is soooo good!