Maximum Ride: The Last Chapter

I stood stiffly, as hot tears leaked out of my eyes. I watched as Ratchet, Kate, and Yasmine were lowered carefully into the ground. A dreary silence hung the air, suffocating us like a thick, white fog. I shed one last tear. I resolved not to cry anymore. I’ve shed enough tears to last a lifetime.
We all took turns saying our final goodbyes. For the first time in as long as I could remember, I saw Fang cry. I then realized just how much they meant to him. He probably felt responsible for them. He tried to talk when it was his turn, but he couldn’t manage to. Then it was my turn to speak.

“Kate, Yasmine, and Ratchet. The saddest thing about all this is that I didn’t know you very well.” I said, remembering Ari’s funeral, and how Fang regretted not knowing him. “I didn’t even like you for most of the time. That was because you were proof that Fang had moved on.” I continue quietly. Fang looks at me with dark, yet understanding eyes. “I realize now that I was stupid. Without you, none of us would be alive. You guys sacrificed yourself to save us, and the rest of the world, whether they deserved it or not. There aren’t words to describe how grateful I am. Yasmine, by detonating that bomb, you may have killed yourself, but you saved the world. Your life was short, but I can tell you were an amazing kid. I’m sorry you died before your time.” I finished sadly, and I stepped back softly.

I looked around at my tear-streaked, bruised, and mangled flock. They were cut, scraped, and bloodied, but I was filled with a fierce gratitude that they were all alive. Life just wasn’t worth living without them.

I smiled at Dylan, who had his arm slung protectively around Maya’s shoulders. I guess he really did end up with “me”. I reached out and hugged Fang, who pulled me into his embrace, and kissed the top of my head.

Nudge lifted her head slowly, and fixed her brown-eyed gaze on mine.

“So what do we do now?” she asked timidly. I thought about it for a second.

“We go back to Colorado. Home.”

Iggy, Angel, Gazzy, Nudge, Fang, Dylan, Star, Holden, and Maya all set their stares on me.

“All of us.” And with that, I ran, and leaped into the air. I snapped my wings out, enjoying the feel of the air on my feathers, and I sped away.

So we could finally just go home.

But of course, my happy peace just had to be interrupted. Like always. I saw a speck flying towards us in the distance, tan wings moving powerfully.

No. It couldn’t be. She…she’s dead! I held the funeral! She died in the explosion with Yasmine and Kate! And she doesn’t have wings! But…there she is…..

It’s Ella.

Flying.

LoveMaximumRide said...
Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:27 am:
WTH??? i don't really like how you made kate and ratchet die! those two characters are my favourite >:(

stellap said...
i loved it i wish there was more

taepuke said...
>:((((((((

Dark_Photography said...
Wow. This fit perfectly to the story, and wrapped up the loop holes, but in doing so, created one of it's own. But, this worked, and should definetly be in the mag

OWLSLOVESIX said...
All I can say was that although it was awsome MAX AND DYLAN WILL ALWAYS BE A COUPLE! NO MATTER WHAT!

HarryPotterLover30This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:51 pm :
Sad to say I have officially lost faith in you.......... Fang= AWESOMENESS and Dylan= OKAYNESS. Fang+Max= SUPER AWESOME AMAZINGNESS and Dylan+Max= TOTALLY- HORRIBLE -I -SWEAR-TO- GOD- I'M -GOING -TO- DIE..........

CherriePi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:32 pm :
Agreed---- FANG AND MAX TOGETHER FOREVER!!!!!

writer3499 said...
Really interesting! and dont take that the wrong way I really like it!! 

Kateloveshim13 said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:10 pm:
Interesting! Keep writing!

StellaDPloom said...
May 25, 2012 at 5:07 am:
Thanks :) things have been a little insane schoolwise for me... Gotta get ready for fnals and an SAT...

Acastillo said...
I love it this way! I was Soo mad that Dylan and max were together in Angel. I wanted her to end up with fang! Anyways, you are a great writer. Check out my fan fic on max ride called Born to Fly!

Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:07 pm :

Thanks that you liked it! And yes, i will check out Born to fly!

HarryPotterLover30This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
will anybody rate/or comment? Please?!?!?!?!?

AlliterationAce replied...
Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:40 pm :
I know!!! She and fang are amazing together, can't wait for the next (and final) book!!!

Can anybody comment or more  importantly, rate? I'm trying to get my fanfiction onto the top voted/ most discussed........ :) Thanks!

HarryPotterLover30

Hope_PrincessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

Wow! You write really well. The emotions were described perfectly.

I haven't read Maximum Ride in a very long time, so I don't remember all the people that you referred to, but I like your ending better than the one in the book. I hate it when Fang leaves.

Great job!

p.s.-Thank you so much for reading my book. <3

Apr. 8, 2012 at 7:22 pm :
hank you! This is actually a alternate ending for nevermore, th eseventh maxx ride book it hasn't even come out. I wrote this for the fanfiction contest. The one were fang leaves is actualy the fifth one.... but thats alright. I appricate you commemnet and I am glad you liked it! (please excuse all errors in this message. When I post, I don'rt see the words im typing till i push submit)

HayBale said...
This is great! I hope you win the contest, because this is really good!

Apr. 8, 2012 at 8:58 pm :
Thank you HayBale! I am glad that you liked it! Do you think that there is anything I should change? And NOOOO im not going to maked Dylan end up with Max! That would ber horrible!!!! ")

StellaDPloom replied...
Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:31 pm :
I wouldn't change a thing... I'm a huge Maximum Ride fan, and I think that was perfect. I think that how you put Dylan with Maya was good; no waaaayyyyy was he going to get Max. That would be horrible! I was wondering if you'd read my Harry Potter and/or Hunger Games fanfictions? That would be as awesome as this story :)