Temple Run | Teen Ink

Temple Run

January 20, 2012
By Court97 BRONZE, Ada, Oklahoma
Court97 BRONZE, Ada, Oklahoma
3 articles 1 photo 2 comments

Deep in a swamp in South America, one would have to go through a thick mist to find It. Air was still and silent except for the quiet, rippling water below the Temple and the wind whistling through the trees. Guardians lay in silence, waiting for somebody to try to steal the Golden Idol. About the size of a football, it was shaped like the head of the Monkey God. It was the most precious thing in the world, and worth millions.

And that made it the object perfect for Guy Dangerous to steal. He was twenty-three years old and was about six feet tall. Just out of college, the young treasure hunter needed money to buy a place for himself to live. He stood on the hard, brick path just outside of the Temple. The quiet stabbed through him, directly into his soul. He took a few deep breaths and then staggered into the temple, knowing how dangerous this would be. But Dangerous was his last name, he could do this.

Air inside of the temple was thick and black. Guy couldn’t even see his hand in front of his face. Stumbling through the darkness, he made his way to, what he thought was, the center of the Temple. There it is. He thought. Sneaking forward, he looked for the Guardians he knew were there somewhere. He bumped into the pedestal and the Idol rocked back and forth before falling into his hands. An ear piercing screech echoed throughout the Temple, and Guy ran.

His feet clacked against the yellow brick path as he ran from the Demons. He leaped over a root that had grown over the path, and darted around a corner. The whole time the Demon Monkeys stayed right behind him. Sprinting ahead, he tucked the Idol into his satchel. He looked up just in time to see the hole in the path. He hurled himself across, but his feet caught on a rock and he slammed face-first into the stone. Blood streamed out of his nose as he turned over to see the Demon Monkeys just sitting across the gap, watching him. This is all a game to them, Guy thought, they’ve done this countless times before and they know I can’t escape. I’m trapped. He stood up and pondered giving them back the Idol. No. I can get out. He barreled down the path and leaped onto the wooden docks below.

Sweat streamed down his face and stung his eyes. His hearts pounded in his ears and his lungs strained for the air denied to them. Screeching noises echoed throughout the swamp and Guy could hear the snapping jaws of alligators from just below his feet. He leaped over a spot where the dock had rotted out and stole a glance backwards. The Demon Monkeys were right behind him as he swerved around a sharp corner and slid under a tree that had grown over the dock. They were nipping at his heels as he vaulted up back onto the brick path.

His legs felt like jelly as he continued to run from the monkeys. Have I been here before? He thought. That tree looks familiar. His fears were confirmed when he saw it. No. . . His thoughts trailed off. It was there in the middle of the path, right before a place where the path was broken. A small, red patch stained the bricks. It was his blood.

The Demon Monkeys’ screeching got louder and Guy realized they were growing impatient. He looked back for a split second, and that was his mistake. He tripped on a tree branch and crashed down onto the bricks. He turned over just in time to see them leap onto him and begin eating him. He could feel their sharp teeth cutting into his flesh and watched as their masked faces feasted.

He didn’t pass until one consumed his still beating heart.


The author's comments:
This is a FanFiction I wrote about the popular app "Temple Run"