The Lion King 3 | Teen Ink

The Lion King 3

June 23, 2010
By xcrayolaxstormx SILVER, Coventry, Rhode Island
xcrayolaxstormx SILVER, Coventry, Rhode Island
5 articles 0 photos 88 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't worry about it." -V.Z.


In the distance, there’s blackness as far as the eye can see. A hush fell over the land, as if the anticipation of something wonderful had made the earth hold its breath. Then it came: the sunrise. The smallest thread of sunlight flooded the savannah, illuminating everything in it with the faint light of dawn. It rose slowly, going over the same routine it repeats each morning. After a few breathtaking minutes, the animals started to come into view. Every kind of animal you could ever think of being in Africa was there, and they were all heading in the same direction. They walked, swam, and flew in orderly lines and groups; they had all been through this since as long as any of them could remember. Finally, as the sun completely rose from its horizon bed, all the living creatures of the kingdom had come to a stop at Pride Rock. Today was the day of the birth of a new king.

Kovu and Kiara lie side by side, huddling over something small. Kovu… he had done well. The one who had united the two rival prides. After Zira’s death, the pride lands and the outlands became one land, and all the lions had come to live in peace. He had escaped his past, and I was exceedingly proud of him for that. And Kiara- she had become so responsible with Kovu around. The one who used to be so spontaneous- so adventurous- had become a sensible young lioness; just like her mother had. And now, she was a mother herself.

Rafiki silenced the crowd, and strode over to the couple. Timon and Pumbaa- now old and frail- watched silently from a distance. Rafiki broke the fruit from his staff in half, and rubbed the pulp onto the tiny ball of brownish- tan fur. A pair of orange eyes stared up at him- Kiara’s eyes. Mufasa’s eyes… My eyes.

With a nod from both Kovu and Kiara, Rafiki scooped up the cub. Walking slowly, he reached the edge of the rock. The crowd stirred in anticipation, just as the clouds did. Finally, Rafiki held up his arms. The most beautiful lion cub I had ever seen hung from the baboon’s hands. At the same time, I shined a light as intense as the sunrise itself onto the spot where Rafiki stood. The clouds parted for me and the animals cheered. The howls of monkeys and the shriek of elephants echoed through the savannah. The whinnies of zebras and squawk of birds filled the air. The wind that carried my spirit swirled around the crowd. One by one, the animals bent their heads and bowed to their new king.

Rafiki raised his head and closed his eyes in a silent thank-you to all of us up here as the breeze reached him. Kovu, Kiara, Timon, and Pumbaa walked up to Rafiki and deeply inhaled the wind. Kiara and Kovu nuzzled each other as they stared up at their newborn son. My father joined me at my side while my grandson- Jamahl- stared out at the crowd with curious eyes that I knew all too well.


The author's comments:
I love The Lion King. I could probably recite the words to the two movies. So, i decided to have Kiara and Kovu have a child of their own. Leave your feedback, hope you like it :)