Summer Storm: A Twilight Continuation / Spin-Off

My name is Summer. I am a vampire. The non-human killing type or "vegetarians" as my new family says. We survive on the blood of animals. It keeps us strong enough, but there are times when it's a struggle.

I'm 18 years old - really, I am. There's no going back. So, forever young and forever unchanging I'll stay. Sometimes this way of life can be difficult. The thirst is always there no matter how often I try to quench it. My family is teaching me how to control the desire for human blood. Unfortunately, that desire is part of being what I am -- an immortal.

The night air whipped my hair into my face as I ran through the woods and down onto the beach. The stars lit up the sky for miles. It's my favorite way to cleanse the mind. I come here every night to think and reflect and just exist.

My eyes wandered across the sand and came upon this mass a mile or so from where I stood. I decided to investigate. It's not like I couldn't spare the time.

As soon as I got close I froze. I didn't need to get any closer to identify the mass in front of me. The scent of the human was overwhelming and I wasn't prepared for the onslaught. This wasn't just one of those times when our way of life is a struggle. It was like nothing I've ever experienced. I didn't know what to do. What if the human was hurt? I couldn't just leave. The remaining traces of humanity wouldn’t let me walk away.

My thoughts were in jumbles trying to figure out my options. Just as the burn in my throat was becoming unbearable my eyes registered movement.

The human raised its head and I could now see that the “it” was a boy. I placed his age to be around mine. I could identify all 1037 people in this town by face and name, but I’d never seen him before. He looked right at me then and his eyes, which were the loveliest shade of blue I had ever seen, connected with mine. I was distracted by the beauty of his face and I unconsciously moved closer.

For once I was glad I would be around for all eternity, if only to look into his eyes. I didn't move or allow myself to breathe. It was too risky.

His mouth was agape with awe. I know I must look strange to him as my kind does to humans whose senses aren't as in tune to the way of things.

My skin is pale white, which contrasts sharply with my dark brown hair. My eyes are golden because of the animal blood, though they are probably closer to black now as I haven't hunted in a few weeks, and my face is very appealing to the human eye. These features are just part of the design. My kind is the most dangerous predator to humans.

I just hoped his instincts to be wary would help me keep from doing something I'd regret. That hope died the second I saw the muscles in his leg twitch just before he took a step in my direction.

"Uh, hello," he said with a mixture of wariness and curiosity in his voice.

I saw he was staring at me waiting for a reply. But speech simply wasn't possible at the moment. I was still frozen when he spoke again.

"I'm Max Storm. You are?" He asked with what seemed to me like shyness.

Although I heard his words I wasn't paying them strict attention. A vampire can think of multiple things all at the same time you see. And we're easily distracted. At that second my mind was busy fighting the urge to breathe. This confliction made me realize that I rely heavily on this sense. Even though it isn't necessary to my survival it helps me to “taste” the flavor of things.

"Uh, I'm new here." He said it as if he were asking a question.

I couldn't answer without letting down my guard. If that happened I could kill him and for some reason that was beyond even my comprehension I desperately didn't want that to happen.

"I thought I didn't talk much." He muttered more to himself than to me. He wouldn't know that my hearing is phenomenal of course.

I wondered why he was out here on the beach this late at night.

Then he took another step toward me. Did he not realize how dangerous I was?

Up close I could really see how handsome he was, but what caught my attention was his face. It was intriguing. I forgot myself and inhaled.

"You're very beautiful." Max breathed as his eyes fully took in the sight of me once he could see me more clearly thanks to the illuminating moon.

Suddenly the wind changed course and blew his scent in my direction.

It was --- intoxicating.

My eyes found his pulsing jugular, where the blood in his veins was most visible.

"Ahhh," I had to get out of there and quick! I forced myself not to run and risk exposing myself or my family.

My fists clenched tightly. I forced myself to turn away from him; from the scent that made me want to kill him. The thirst in my throat was raging and demanding to be satiated. It would be so easy. All I had to do was walk up to him; place my lips on his neck and…no! What was I thinking? I had to leave before I exposed my secret; before I could hurt him. I started walking back the way I had come.

"Wait! I don't even know your name. Please?" he called after me.

I didn't stop. It was too dangerous. Selfishly, I wanted this Max to know my name.

"Summer," I said.

I took off running at full speed as soon as I reached the cover of the woods.

A_Dreamer said...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 7:20 pm:

This is better than a continuation. Barely any of this is Twilight related, but it's really good. It's a little choppy, but not that much.

I can't wait to read the next chapter, keep up the good work!

Robsessed replied...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 9:51 pm :

i think i understand what you're saying now. 

after she sees Max and his scent infiltrates her relaxation her mind kind of goes into overdrive. because she can think of so many things at the same time she has a lot to deal with: controlling her extreme thirst, feeling a connection to a human, not wanting to expose what she is, or disappoint her family. So my intention was to make her thoughts seem like they were rapidly firing.

i hope that helps

Robsessed replied...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 6:05 pm :

ch. 2 is up, so please read and comment!

Asianflowers said...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:46 pm:
Wow this is awesome! I'm still getting the twilight vibe, but still great! 5 stars! 

Robsessed replied...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 2:36 am :
thanks! don't worry if you don't know too much about the Twilight series b/c I will explain anything Twilight related in as close a manner as possible to Stephenie Meyer's descriptions, or my interpretations of them anyway. I'm really just borrowing some of her characters and setting anyway. Dialogue and the main storyline are completely original.

Asianflowers replied...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 3:41 am :
Well I'll be waiting in the woods until that happens. :)

Robsessed replied...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 6:04 pm :
you can stop waiting in the woods - ch. 2 is finally up! please read and comment!

Robsessed replied...
Aug. 1, 2010 at 3:21 pm :
chapter 3 is up. Please read and comment.

Asianflowers replied...
Aug. 1, 2010 at 9:23 pm :
Love it and commented on it! :)

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:03 pm:
This was great, especially the descriptions--can't wait to see how you make it your own.  Please write more!

Robsessed replied...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 2:39 am :

thanks, that's saying a lot coming from you since your stories have such vivid descriptions!

Ch. 2 is written and tomorrow, or rather later today, I will be editing it and then submitting it for approval. So be on the lookout...

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 3:08 pm :
I will be:)

Robsessed replied...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 6:04 pm :
ch. 2 is finally up! please read and comment!

Jul. 13, 2010 at 6:11 pm :
Of course:)

Robsessed said...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:51 pm:
Okay, I totally spaced out when coming up with a number for the population of the town, which is Forks, WA, which will be mentioned in the next chaper. I just had the current number as a filler because I meant to double check the correct number as mentioned in the movie and make it the same plus 3 for Bella, Renesme, and now Summer. So disregard the 1037 because it was supposed to be 3123.

rosaliehale said...
Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:36 pm:
This was great! but it was a little to much like the connection between Edward and Bella for me so a little more originality and it would be awesome!

Robsessed replied...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:44 pm :
i know this part is like Edward & Bella, but stay tuned for future chapters. This is just the beginning and although there will be things of Twilight inspired & incorporated the main storyline is going to be completely different.

rosaliehale replied...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 10:36 am :

okay, i kinda figured you would change and i'll be sure to read the later chapters

Robsessed replied...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 6:03 pm :
ch. 2 is up! Please Read and Comment!

LeeAnn1996 said...
Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:39 am:
This was so amazing and I couldn't stop reading it.I love the Twilight Series and this is an amazing spin-off!!!!!:)

Robsessed replied...
Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:03 pm :
thank you! Ch. 2 is written and I'll be submitting it on Tuesday, so be on the look out in the next couple of weeks. it took Ch. 1 a little bit longer to be approved than my poems and short story. I love Twilight too!!!