Summer Storm: A Twilight Continuation / Spin-Off

My name is Summer. I am a vampire. The non-human killing type or "vegetarians" as my new family says. We survive on the blood of animals. It keeps us strong enough, but there are times when it's a struggle.

I'm 18 years old - really, I am. There's no going back. So, forever young and forever unchanging I'll stay. Sometimes this way of life can be difficult. The thirst is always there no matter how often I try to quench it. My family is teaching me how to control the desire for human blood. Unfortunately, that desire is part of being what I am -- an immortal.

The night air whipped my hair into my face as I ran through the woods and down onto the beach. The stars lit up the sky for miles. It's my favorite way to cleanse the mind. I come here every night to think and reflect and just exist.

My eyes wandered across the sand and came upon this mass a mile or so from where I stood. I decided to investigate. It's not like I couldn't spare the time.

As soon as I got close I froze. I didn't need to get any closer to identify the mass in front of me. The scent of the human was overwhelming and I wasn't prepared for the onslaught. This wasn't just one of those times when our way of life is a struggle. It was like nothing I've ever experienced. I didn't know what to do. What if the human was hurt? I couldn't just leave. The remaining traces of humanity wouldn’t let me walk away.

My thoughts were in jumbles trying to figure out my options. Just as the burn in my throat was becoming unbearable my eyes registered movement.

The human raised its head and I could now see that the “it” was a boy. I placed his age to be around mine. I could identify all 1037 people in this town by face and name, but I’d never seen him before. He looked right at me then and his eyes, which were the loveliest shade of blue I had ever seen, connected with mine. I was distracted by the beauty of his face and I unconsciously moved closer.

For once I was glad I would be around for all eternity, if only to look into his eyes. I didn't move or allow myself to breathe. It was too risky.

His mouth was agape with awe. I know I must look strange to him as my kind does to humans whose senses aren't as in tune to the way of things.

My skin is pale white, which contrasts sharply with my dark brown hair. My eyes are golden because of the animal blood, though they are probably closer to black now as I haven't hunted in a few weeks, and my face is very appealing to the human eye. These features are just part of the design. My kind is the most dangerous predator to humans.

I just hoped his instincts to be wary would help me keep from doing something I'd regret. That hope died the second I saw the muscles in his leg twitch just before he took a step in my direction.

"Uh, hello," he said with a mixture of wariness and curiosity in his voice.

I saw he was staring at me waiting for a reply. But speech simply wasn't possible at the moment. I was still frozen when he spoke again.

"I'm Max Storm. You are?" He asked with what seemed to me like shyness.

Although I heard his words I wasn't paying them strict attention. A vampire can think of multiple things all at the same time you see. And we're easily distracted. At that second my mind was busy fighting the urge to breathe. This confliction made me realize that I rely heavily on this sense. Even though it isn't necessary to my survival it helps me to “taste” the flavor of things.

"Uh, I'm new here." He said it as if he were asking a question.

I couldn't answer without letting down my guard. If that happened I could kill him and for some reason that was beyond even my comprehension I desperately didn't want that to happen.

"I thought I didn't talk much." He muttered more to himself than to me. He wouldn't know that my hearing is phenomenal of course.

I wondered why he was out here on the beach this late at night.

Then he took another step toward me. Did he not realize how dangerous I was?

Up close I could really see how handsome he was, but what caught my attention was his face. It was intriguing. I forgot myself and inhaled.

"You're very beautiful." Max breathed as his eyes fully took in the sight of me once he could see me more clearly thanks to the illuminating moon.

Suddenly the wind changed course and blew his scent in my direction.

It was --- intoxicating.

My eyes found his pulsing jugular, where the blood in his veins was most visible.

"Ahhh," I had to get out of there and quick! I forced myself not to run and risk exposing myself or my family.

My fists clenched tightly. I forced myself to turn away from him; from the scent that made me want to kill him. The thirst in my throat was raging and demanding to be satiated. It would be so easy. All I had to do was walk up to him; place my lips on his neck and…no! What was I thinking? I had to leave before I exposed my secret; before I could hurt him. I started walking back the way I had come.

"Wait! I don't even know your name. Please?" he called after me.

I didn't stop. It was too dangerous. Selfishly, I wanted this Max to know my name.

"Summer," I said.

I took off running at full speed as soon as I reached the cover of the woods.

TakeMeFar said...
Feb. 21, 2012 at 1:11 pm:
For some odd reason I find it so hard to make a spin off of Twiliight... Nice story though. :D

Robsessed said...
Aug. 15, 2010 at 2:15 am:
my Character Description has been posted if you care to read it, especially if you aren't familiar with The Twilight Saga.

Lexi-pex said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 2:06 am:
a lot like twilight....but i found myself really enjoying it. great work! moving onto chapter 2...

Robsessed replied...
Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:18 pm :
thanks! if you don't know already, Ch. 3 is posted.

mudpuppy said...
Jul. 17, 2010 at 10:40 am:
I haven't read Twlight or seen the movies, but your story sounds pretty sweet. I'm going to read chapter Two right now.

Robsessed said...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 12:54 pm:
for those of you who haven't commented, ch. 2 is up!

Robsessed said...
Jul. 8, 2010 at 1:22 am:
idk what is taking so long for Ch.2 to be approved. i've got 8 different things waiting to be approved, so idk if that slows things down or not. urrghh! But hopefully it will be up in the next few days cause it's already been a week. i'll let everyone who has posted know as soon as i'm notified.

emoVamp247 said...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 7:53 am:
hey i went on your account and i love most of the stuff u love i think that we could be best freinds we have alot in common 

McClellan95 said...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 8:03 pm:
I like it alot, but its sounds A LOT like Twilight. I know its suppose to be a continuation, but its way too similar. Try to change up the scene where Summer and Max met.

Robsessed replied...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 9:52 pm :
thanks for commenting! this chapter is really the only part of the story that is extremely similar to Twilight in plot / character connection. I chose to have Summer react similar to how Edward did when he met Bella b/c thirst (for human blood) is the one thing "vegetarian" vampires have difficulty with, especially if one's scent is particulary pleasing.  Chapter 2 will reveal a new angle to the plot. And I do want to say that Summer & Max's story is going to be a lot different than Edw... (more »)

Robsessed replied...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 6:07 pm :
ch.2 is up! please read and comment!

emoVamp247 said...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 7:38 pm:
i cant wait to read the next chapter this is really good i love it.     :)

Robsessed replied...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 9:36 pm :
thanks, I'm glad you liked it. if you haven't read my other comments, chapter 2 is awaiting approval. the first part took about a week to be posted, so i'm hoping ch.2 is up by Monday or Tuesday. i love your username by the way. Vampires rule!

Robsessed replied...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 6:06 pm :
ch. 2 is up - please read and let me know what you think!

agsmiley888 said...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 8:11 pm:

this is really good i thought the way you describe the emotions is powerful in its own way

i can kind of relate this to twilight, but it seems like the characters change possitions, as if summer is edward and max is bella, (am i right?) anyway it seems interesting like hearing another side of a story good luck and great job =D

Robsessed replied...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 9:40 pm :

Well, let's see if I can explain my reasons without confusing things. lol

I did reverse the Edward and Bella characters in a way.

Obviously, Summer is a vampire where Bella was human. However, Summer is still a very young vampire whereas Edward was not. I wanted Summer to have characteristics of both for reasons that will be revealed in a future chapter.

You will find out more about Max in the next chapter, which is awaiting approval, so I don't want to give anything away... (more »)

Robsessed replied...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 6:06 pm :
ch. 2 is finally up! please read and comment. you get to find out more about Max!

A_Dreamer said...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 7:20 pm:

This is better than a continuation. Barely any of this is Twilight related, but it's really good. It's a little choppy, but not that much.

I can't wait to read the next chapter, keep up the good work!

Robsessed replied...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 7:29 pm :

I'm glad you like it! the first two chapters don't seem Twilight related because the Cullens and the incorrigable Jacob Black haven't made their appearance yet, but they will soon.

what exactly do you mean by choppy? like there isn't enough detail or explanation, or things don't flow together... chapter 2 is already waiting for approval, but i'd like to know how i can improve anything for future chapters. Thanks for commenting.

A_Dreamer replied...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 7:54 pm :

Ahhh, okay. It'll be interesting to see how they fit in.

The words seem not to flow too well during some parts for me. It could be the way you intended it, because she was nervous though.