Without Wings Chapter 1 -- A Maximum Ride Story

Twigs whipped across my face, but I didn’t care. I was running, away from the white-coats. They had captured me. The flock was safe; or so I hoped.

“There she is,” I heard someone shout. I wished that I could have flown out of there, but they had done something to my wings. I couldn’t feel them anymore. They probably numbed them so I couldn’t escape. But I did anyway. Sucks for them.

“Max, stop!” I shivered as I heard Jeb call for me. He had betrayed us, again. He had said that he needed help, but when we came he had an ambush set up. I was able to hold them off long enough for the flock to get out. The flock was waiting for me, back at Lake Mead.

I kept running until I came up to a wall. It was climbable, but it had guard towers every fifty yards. It would be pretty tricky to not get seen. I started climbing, and I reached the top in a minute. There was barbed wire on the top. I jump off the wall, trying to unfurl my wings.

It didn’t work. I slammed into the ground, spraining, maybe even breaking, my ankle. I tried to get my wings out again, but I couldn’t. I reached my hand back, trying to feel my wings. What I didn’t feel was what terrified me. My wings were gone.

Coolguy69 said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 9:39 am:
This is a very good piece. It could be a bit longer but it really grabs my attention. If you continue to write more chapters, maybe make them a bit longer. Otherwise great job.

arctic121 said...
oh my can you put the 3rd chap

brainiac said...
OMG!?! How'd Max lose those beautiful wings? She'd never be the same.

TheNovaClytie said...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 3:17 pm:

oh no! a max without wings isn't max at all!

what i want to know, tho, is what Fang is gunna do to help her feel better about it ;) they're my favorite!

AeroRyuu said...
This was very well written. You definately got the James Patterson/Max tone down very well. The only thing that I would say is you should try to make your chapters longer (if you haven't done so already). Other than that, great work.

WickedStarcatcherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 10:13 am:

This was a really awesome fanfic! I just have a couple of suggestions. I think you should go into greater detail about how Max got there. I know you explain, but maybe you should turn that into a seperate scene. I liked the tone as well as the voice of the story. Keep writing!

Fly On!

lol

DamonSalvatore1864 replied...
Oct. 19, 2011 at 12:49 pm :
Yeah, I agree. Other than that, great job and keep writing!

Supernova7 said...
May 20, 2010 at 11:57 pm:
This was nicely written good job:)

elizabethlaura said...
May 20, 2010 at 8:16 pm:
this is such an interesting story :) great job!

DanceAwayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 20, 2010 at 5:25 pm:
I love the series, and this is really good!

Drama_Queen13 said...
May 16, 2010 at 2:33 pm:
I LOVE MAXIMUM RIDE!!! She's my idol and I just finished Fang and I miss it SO much! But this was INCRIDBLE! You should enter it in that James Patterson writing contest

Fangstorm replied...
Mar. 13, 2011 at 3:35 pm :

Listen, dramaqueen.

ANGEL (the seventh book, after Fang) IS SO #$%^&* SCREWED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!

DestinysAgent said...
May 6, 2010 at 11:14 pm:
I actually never read the series, but your writing has now got me interested!  Nice work!

JacobC replied...
May 11, 2010 at 6:52 am :
It is a great series.  I definately recommend that you read it.

Starfire said...
Lol my friend next to me is crazy about Maximum Ride! She said you did somewhat of a very good job. But I would say you did wonderful. Very nice. lol even though I've never read the books. lol But still good. *Stares at my fan-girl friend*