Excerpt from Unofficial Fanfiction: Super Smash Bros. The Ultimate Adventure | Teen Ink

Excerpt from Unofficial Fanfiction: Super Smash Bros. The Ultimate Adventure

By SmashConnorUltimate BRONZE, Fairbanks, Alaska
SmashConnorUltimate BRONZE, Fairbanks, Alaska

It was still night when the kidnapping had happened, and now, the sun was beginning to rise. All the fighters gathered in the center, where Mario informed everyone that he was on the rooftop when the kidnapping happened and that he had seen Master Hand head towards Brawlhalla Cliffside. At hearing this news, all the fighters and some of the Assist Trophies, including Waluigi and Shadow, began to head to the Smash room, where the emergency alert allowed all the fighters and Assist Trophies to teleport to Brawlhalla Stadium, which was the closest location other than Final Destination to the cliffside.

Connor was worried, and he tried to think about who he would be able to save. As of right then, he had no idea, other than Kirby. But as they travelled to the cliffside, he thought of a few more. He thought about trying to save Waluigi, Shadow, Luigi, who was his main character whenever he played Smash with Meghan, and Rosalina, who served as one of his only reminders of Meghan, as she had played as her whenever they played Smash together.

But when they reached the cliffside, Connor’s fears were confirmed: in the sky were hundreds of Master Hands, along with the mysterious entity Sakurai had described as the Master Heart. He looked to the sky in fear and knowledge of what would happen next. “That is a LOT of Master Hands.” he said, so that everyone could hear him. “Any one of them could be holding Sakurai.”

Then Fox, a star pilot who was one of the first fighters to be introduced to Smash, stepped forward and aimed his blaster to the sky. “Then don’t let a single one get away!” he said.

They all looked to the sky. This job would take everyone. Not a single person was to be left out.

Marth, a royal knight from Fire Emblem, took an estimated count of all the hands in the sky. “We’ll each need to take down about ten.” he said.

Then Zelda, the princess of Hyrule, tried to tell everyone not to be afraid. “Stow your fear!” she said. “It’s now or never!”

Pit, an angel, tried to encourage the group. “We’ll win this!” he said. “I know we will!”

As they prepared to battle the Master Hands coming their way, they all suddenly shriveled away to reveal that inside, they were all blue crumpled strings of light. Then, these strings of light travelled over to the Master Heart, uniting as one as energy began to build within the entity.

Then Shulk, a skilled fighter in the Monado arts who could see a few seconds into the future, turned back to the group, a worried look shown on his face.

Connor, not wanting this to be an exact repeat of what he knew would happen, asked Shulk what was wrong.

“This thing isn’t here just for Sakurai!” Shulk replied. “It’s here for all of us!”

Just then, the big ball of energy that had been building up for several seconds exploded in a brilliant flash of light, sending thousands of streams of light everywhere, most of which were heading towards the cliffside.

“Run!” someone said. It didn’t matter who, because everyone took off to avoid being swept away by the seemingly lethal beams of light. However, there were some who stayed behind to try and fight them off.

Link, an elite Hyrule warrior, managed to block a few with his shield, but then was enveloped in the light.

Samus, a space explorer, fired several charged shots at the incoming light, but she was caught up as well.

Zelda and Mewtwo, a powerful Pokemon, attempted to create energy shields to protect everyone else, but the light travelled straight through them, enveloping the two shield casters as well.

Sonic would have made it out, but he looked back to see Tails and Pikachu falling behind. In a heartfelt attempt to save them, he slowed down a little to grab their hands, but they were enveloped before he could reach them, and Sonic ended up vaporized himself.

Bayonetta, a wicked witch lady, managed to avoid most of the light beams by transforming into a cloud of bats, but the moment she assumed a human form, she got enveloped.

The Pokemon Trainer had his fiery dragon Pokemon, Charizard, team up with Bowser to try and burn the incoming light, but it had no effect, and they were all enraptured as well.

Captain Falcon managed to make it back, but before he could jump into his vehicle, he got caught up by the light.

Lucario had the ability to teleport, but it didn’t allow him to travel as far as Shadow did. He and Greninja were able to avoid some of the light beams this way, but were eventually taken down as well.

The inklings shot at the ground with their splat guns so that they could hide in their own ink and hope the light passed over them, but the light scooped up the goop and all the inklings in it.

Fox and Falco were able to reach their ships, but the light got them as they attempted to fly away.

Palutena attempted to protect Pit and Dark Pit as they flew away, but the moment she was overtaken, they both lost the ability to fly and were taken by the light as well.

Snake, a hardened secret agent, tried to hide within a cardboard box and hope he wouldn’t be noticed, but he was easily caught.

Mario and Luigi were running alongside Wario and Waluigi, and they were able to catch up to Connor, who flew quickly with his hoverboard in the C configuration. Mario looked at his brother compassionately, and Luigi looked back with eyes filled with fear. Mario told Luigi to jump, and when he did, Mario jumped under him and allowed his brother to jump on his head to boost himself up to grab Connor’s hoverboard. Mario wasn’t able to recover after that, but just before he got caught up by the light, he smiled at Luigi, who looked back with tears in his eyes.

Waluigi deliberately jumped on Wario’s head to grab on to the hoverboard, but once he was secured on Connor’s hoverboard, he reached back for his brother, who tried to grab his hand but tripped and fell back, getting overtaken by the light instantly.

Both Luigi and Waluigi looked at Connor, their eyes filled with both sadness and fear. “We’ll get them back.” he reassured them. Then, Connor looked up to see Diddy Kong attempting to escape with his barrel jetpack and Rosalina flying away with her Luma. Both of them were about to get overtaken, but Connor knew he could save at least one of them. And so he flew towards them, narrowly avoiding several streams of light along the way. Now, it all came down to who was closer. Connor zoomed at full speed and grabbed whoever was the closest one, but the other was caught by the light just as he was about to save them.

Connor flew where he knew he was relatively safe, and looked down at Rosalina, who was now safe in his arms. “I’ve got you.” he smiled.

He looked down to see the Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Duck Hunt get caught up by the same beam. He wasn’t able to save them, but at least he had been able to save these three up with him.

He looked to his right to see Kirby flying alongside him on his Warp Star, able to dodge each of the light streams that came his way. This made five. Now, if only they had a way to teleport them all to a safe place…

Suddenly, Shadow teleported into the air in front of them, and when they passed by, he grabbed the edges of both the hoverboard and the Warp Star!

“Hang on!” he yelled. “I’m gonna get us out of here!”

“Looks like you’re the one who needs to hang on!” Connor replied.

“This isn’t exactly the right place for jokes!” Shadow yelled back as a stream of light passed overhead.

Connor looked back to see multiple streams of light heading straight for them, then looked forward to see another couple streams heading straight for them. The light was coming at them from all directions.

“You all ready?” Shadow yelled.

“Do you have to ask?!?” Connor replied in panic. “DO IT!”

Then Shadow used all the power he had left in his Chaos Emerald to perform the greatest teleport he had ever done.

“CHAOS CONTROL!!!” he yelled.

And with that, the light enveloped the entire cliffside. The entire world. The entire galaxy.

The entire universe.

This is an excerpt from a fanfiction novel I wrote in November 2018 as an assignment for my Creative Writing class as well as in anticipation of the arrival of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate game. All characters belong to their respective owners, except for the characters Connor and Meghan, who I created for the purpose of the story. I hope you enjoy.