Death in the Valley of the Ashes | Teen Ink

Death in the Valley of the Ashes

By Sergio408 BRONZE, San Jose, California
Sergio408 BRONZE, San Jose, California

As Daisy is driving Gatsby asks Daisy “Why are you going so fast?!”.

Daisy is confused and filled with emotions so she tells Gatsby “Please just…. I don’t know what to do anymore.”

“What do you mean, I thought you loved me not Tom” Said Gatsby.

“I love… I don’t know who and what I want anymore” Yelled Daisy while holding back her tears. “This is all a mistake.”

“But we are met to be together.”  

“Maybe we were once but now we are different people with different needs” Daisy explains to Gatsby. “Things aren’t the same anymore… give me a second to process what is happening.”

Gatsby takes a second and gathers his emotions and tells Daisy “Nothing bad is happening, we already decided about what we are going to do and what is going to happen.”

Before Daisy replied she looked at Gatsby for a quick second with a look of guilt, and pity “No you decided I agreed to give you comfort but not because I wanted the same thing.”

Both Daisy and Gatsby were silent for many seconds, both thinking of what to say and what to do with the problem. Gatsby feels like he is slowly losing Daisy as the conversation keeps going.

Gatsby grabs Daisy’s hand and says “I love you, and want to be with you.”

“I loved you, LOVED that was in the past” “things are different now.”

“This is my fault if only I didn’t leave to war, I would still be able to call you mine.”

“You wanted to go, so you may be right about that a lot of things would be different right now if you would had stayed with me.”

“Yes but we would have been poor or middle classed.”

Gatsby tells Daisy he needs time alone to think things over and he asks Daisy to slow just enough so he can get out the car and walk back home instead

This piece is a little depressing