The End of The Great Gatsby | Teen Ink

The End of The Great Gatsby

By Kimberly1220 BRONZE, San Jose, California
Kimberly1220 BRONZE, San Jose, California

I waited and still no ring. How could this be, I was only certain she’d chose me. I had done so much for her. Everything I’ve done, it was only to prove my worthiness of her love. Perhaps I frightened her when I lost my temper at the Plaza Hotel. She must have had to understand though, Tom, he was reaching a nerve in me. Mid Thought, I heard a voice in the distance calling my name.

It was my butler, Edgar. “Mr. Gatsby I couldn’t stop him, he insisted he see you,” he exclaimed with a rather worried blue face.

I guided my pool air mattress to face him.

“Who Edgar?” I asked as I took my sunglasses off, I didn’t have any meetings planned for today.

Before he could even begin his sentence, George Wilson rushed through my fence. He had a ferocious look on his face and I’d assume he hadn’t slept all night by the look on his grey face. I observed him while he approached me. I hadn't noticed how unhappy he looks, he always had but today for some reason it stood out more than usual. For obvious reasons of course. I couldn't help but notice the feelings of guilt arise in me. The poor man just lost his only source of happiness.

Playing off my nervousness I began,“Surprise seeing you here old sport, if you’re looking for Tom-” before I could even finish, madness broke out.

“YOU!” he roared. “You murdered my beautiful Myrtle!”

In all my years, I had never heard pain. I’ve seen and felt it but never heard it like I just had in Wilson’s voice.

I realized the scenario I was in and I snapped back and paddled to the nearest set of stairs. As he sped closer to me I could see not only the sweat beaming from his forehead but the reflection of some sort of metal he had hanging on the inside of his pocket.

I had no words. Part of me wanted to own up to what happened. But that meant that Daisy would go down for this.

“Wilson, take a breather alright old sport? How about we go inside and have a seat while I dry off ey? Then we can have a chat.” I said hoping that he would take my offer.

“HAVE A CHAT? I DIDN'T COME HERE FOR AN AFTERNOON TEA.” he screamed with a lava colored face.

“Well then why did you?” butted Edgar as he was making eye signals to me. Signaling towards Wilson, I was unable to comprehend what he was trying to say.

“You want to know why?” he said with such a psycho smirk.

It all became a slow-motion film from that moment. It was all making sense now. The signals- Edgar was pointing to Wilson and his revolver. My life flashed before my eyes. There was so much that rushed through my head. The adrenalin felt unreal. Daisy, she and I we were supposed to have our happily ever after. The future we both imagined. I came all this way, I-

“I CAME BACK FOR YOU.” he announced as he whipped out his revolver and aimed it at me, though shaking in anguish, “SHE WAS EVERYTHING I HAD, MY ONLY HAPPINESS. AND YOU TOOK HER FROM ME. I, I RECOGNIZED YOUR CAR WHO ELSE HAS SUCH A LUXURY? I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU WEALTHY EAST AND WEST EGG FOLK FEEL THAT YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH ANYTHING-” as he continued to unleash his inner devil walking back and forth, I could apprehend the emptiness in his voice. Through his yelling, I couldn't help but interpret his sorrow into a cry for help. It makes sense, a poor man like him who really had nothing to live for but his wife.

Though I was a hated man, I had never been threatened with my life. And for the very first time, I was afraid of death. The rush continued, how could this be my ending? It could not I thought confidently. Daisy and I are going to be happy together. I slowly made my way up the stairs and he snapped back when he heard the excess water dripping off of my clothes. I didn't think it was anymore possible for him to get angrier but it was.

“I can explain, you see we- I” trying to avoid mentioning that Daisy was there, “was driving and the night screamed but of fog and darkness. And she just came out of nowhere-” I tried to explain.

He interrupted me, “OH, SO NOW IT'S MY DARLINGS FAULT? IS THAT WHAT YOU’RE SAYING?”

I let out a frustrated sigh, “No, I’m saying she shouldn't have just ran out into a busy road.”

“OH THAT’S IT, I’M GOING TO END YOU!” he hollered. He proceeded to holster the gun and unlock the trigger. Still shaking, It was obvious Wilson had never shot a gun before.

I couldn't believe this was it. I guess Nick was right, things really can’t go back to how they were. I never got to live out my dream of being with Daisy and starting over. All I ever wanted was to begin a new life with the love of mine.

As I heard him unlock the trigger, all I could do was shut my eyes and picture my last moments with Daisy.

Wilson fired and all I heard was a splash in my pool.

I opened my eyes in great fear of what I was about to see.

Once I Gradually returned to sight I’d seen Wilson with incredible terror in his face. I followed his sight.

There he was. My oh but loyal butler. Who had jumped in front of me and taken my bullet. Drowning in his own pure blood I stood in shock. By the time I turned to face Wilson, he was long gone.

I proceeded to him, but before I jumped in, I paused. What would the police think if they saw me covered in his blood. I dialed Nick.

While he arrived I began to search for the gun as evidence. I looked all over the place and couldn't find it. I came to the conclusion that Wilson had taken it. Nick arrived. I will never forget the look on his face when he saw the scenario we were in. He was speechless.

“Before you say anything let me explain,” I announced.

“I- Wha-” Obviously, he was at a loss of words.

I had dialed the police prior from his arrival. Which meant that by the time I finished explaining my house was surrounded by policemen. And again, I began to explain what happened.  I found myself repeating the what had happened so much that I began to regret never telling anyone.

The sun had begun to set and winds began to release. Through the distance, I was able to see that bright green light at the end of the dock.

I used this moment as an eye opener. My life had literally flashed before my eyes and I knew after today I could no longer live my life waiting for things to happen. So I decided i’d leave town.

After Edgar’s body was dragged out of my pool and the policemen left, I was left with just Nick. I told him my plan and he agreed to help me go through with it.

Life is about success. Not just money no. But being able to enjoy what life has to offer with full fulfillment and happiness.

I had a plan. A rather unexpected one. I, Gatsby, will fake my own death. Or rather, just take Edgar’s place. Nick agreed to lie and say that it was my body who Wilson shot at and I will work with Wolfsheim so that he can help fix a deal with the police to keep quiet about what really happened.

But before this of course, I had to ring my lady one last time. I told myself that if she picked up we would leave together as I wanted. Would she not, then maybe Nick really was right and we just weren't meant to be.

Anxiously, I picked up the phone and dialed. As I heard the rings, I looked out into the dock once more. Acknowledging how far I’d come for one person. Funny how things turn out to be, I mean, in a sense, I owe my success to her. Because technically, I only made it here for her.

Disappointed, I put the phone down. Nick behind me attempted to comfort me.

“Hey listen man, it’s okay, you really don't need to worr-” He continued.

But in the span of a short amount of time, I thought long and hard. Why should I keep waiting? Why should I have to beg someone to come with me when in reality if they loved me like they claimed they did they already wouldve? What if maybe she was just in this for the adventure, while I was in it for the memories.

It was time that I took control of my life. And this time, I wasn't about to let anyone get in my way.

Moments after, I turned back to Nick. I told him plans.

“Well what are you going to do? Where will you go?” He asked.

“Who knows old sport.” I replied, turning to face the lake. “Maybe I’ll end up buying a yacht and travel around the world. It’s time I live.” I confidently stated.

And just like that, I had finally taken control of my life. It had been the end of the Great Gatsby, or so they thought. 

Credit: A work of fanfiction inspired by scene 8 in The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Rationale: The purpose for my fan fiction piece is to bring the audience the ending that they much rather prefer. I felt as if the original angered many including myself. By writing this, I hoped my readers would feel more satisfied than let down. Though not all stories have happy endings, I felt in my heart that this one should because of the life Gatsby had lived. He deserved to be happy with or without Daisy.  e.