Author Laurie Halse Anderson This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Probably best known for her novel Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson has won multiple awards for her writing. With novels like Fever, 1793 and Twisted, she spans genres and tackles unique plots. Her latest novel, Wintergirls, is available now.

Rachel: How were you inspired to write Speak? Was it based on a real-life incident?

Laurie Halse Anderson: Speak is about 10 percent based on the depression I suffered after I was raped, and 90 percent fiction.

Were you involved with the making of the movie “Speak”?

I was given the opportunity to work on the script, but I turned it down because I was busy writing a novel. I was on the set for three days, and had a cameo appearance as the lunch lady who serves Melinda mashed potatoes in the cafeteria.

Are you happy with the final product of the book and the movie?

I think Jessica Sharzer, the director, did a remarkable job with very few resources. Showtime dictated the change to the ending – there was nothing anyone could do about that. But I thought Kristen Stewart and the other actors gave great performances. And I was thrilled to hear so many of the lines from the book make their way onto the big screen!

Where do you find inspiration for your novels?

From my readers.

What is your favorite of your books?

I don't play favorites. This way my characters don't gang up on me.

Who are your favorite authors?

Neil Gaiman, Elizabeth George, Deb Heiligman, and Charles Dickens.

Which authors have influenced you?

I really have no idea. Probably someone who studies literature could figure that one out.

What advice do you have for aspiring teen writers?

1. Don't let anyone tell you that you cannot do this.

2. Be nice to your parents, because if you want to be a published author, you'll probably wind up living with them after college. For a decade.

3. Real writers revise their work over and over and over. Just sayin'.

TitaniEmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 14 at 7:19 pm
She is like my favorite author! Wintergirls would have to be my favorite and then Speak and also Catalyst. :) It is so cool you got to interview her!!! I'm actually doing an oral interp piece that is cut from Speak. She is such a talented author!! Thanks for this article. :D

Tanian20 said...
Jun. 16 at 10:09 pm
she's a great author 

thatoneguythathateschool said...
Apr. 7 at 2:50 pm
never hear of her because she sucks  

TheJust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 7 at 6:59 pm
How could you know she sucks if you've never heard of her?

hesitant_This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 14 at 5:35 pm
She's actually a very talented author. I loved Speak <3

jessse said...
using part of this interview in my college paper! trying to give you proper credit, what was the date that you interviewed Laurie?!

May 14 at 9:27 pm
The interview date would be July 7th, 2010. Are you going to post your paper anywhere? I'd love to read it. If you're going to post it anywhere, you can send me a link at rachel-reviews on Tumblr. :)

dropsofink said...
Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:53 am
I love Laurie Halse Anderson! Good interview.

Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:17 am
Thanks so much!

rhea752 said...
I love Laurie Halse Anderson!! Great interview!! Wish I were as lucky as you :(

Thanks! But it really has nothing to do with luck; just persistance and willingsness to search. :)

Carpe--thehelloutofthat--DiemThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This interview isn't even all that original. I've read one just like it in various other places. Couldn't you have gotten less clichéd questions?

I asked what I was curious about. If you would like different questions, feel free to interview her yourself.

LittleMissLostInParadise replied...
How would I be able to interview her? I am really interested.

Honestly? Just google "[insert name here] contact" and hope for the best! That's how I do it the majority of the time. :)

XblackbeautyX said...
I absolutely everything about her book I've read every thing from Twisted to Wintergirls. She has to be one of the best authors I've ever read

TaurusGal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I'm inspired.  So true that other people's negative thoughts about you doesn't matter as long you are confident about yourself.  And I really like the part where it is said that real writers revise their work over and over to make their work more complete.  Proof-reading is very important indeed.  I guess I have to read her books. ^_^

You really should. She's amazing!

Thanks, I will definitely... =]''

M.Trainor said...
Great questions. I loved Twisted, and it was great to hear about the genius behind it.