Epilogue to The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger | Teen Ink

Epilogue to The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

October 7, 2015
By audreymunce GOLD, Lee\\\'s Summit, Missouri
audreymunce GOLD, Lee\\\'s Summit, Missouri
15 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I loved him, not for the way he danced with my angels.... But for the way the sound of his name could silence my demons.


       I always knew I would never become something great, I just knew it because who cares about Holden Caulfield. No one, that’s who. Or so I thought until I met this one girl. I met this one girl who changed everything for me and no this is not some soppy love story of how a girl saved me from the depths of depression because well, that only happens in movies. And life is not a movie, far from it actually. It’s been 20 years since my “fallout” or so the doctors call it. I’d much rather call it my realization of the effects the world has had on me. About 3 years after my “incident” I met the girl, she was sweet but not overly sweet, it was just the perfect amount of sweet. She was also beautiful and it was the type of beauty you read about in novels. She didn’t need to try to be physically beautiful. She wasn’t the type to layer on the makeup to hide her flaws because she had learned that flaws make you who you are. She wasn’t phony. Her beauty was the rare kind, the kind of beauty that reaches it’s way to the heart as well.
        I miss her. I hate admitting when I miss someone but she taught me not to be afraid of missing someone because that’s just the way that you move on. Missing someone doesn’t mean you need them back, missing is just a part of moving on.
        If you were wondering, yes, I loved her. Not anymore though, because I only got a glimpse of her. Only a glimpse of the beauty and kindness she held in her little hands. She was temporary, because you see, there’s a difference between a crazy love and a right love. I knew I was not her right love so I let her go. She needed to find her prince. And I needed to be alone because the only person I’ll ever trust is myself. But I’ll tell you what, she made me feel like I was something great.