The Friend | Teen Ink

The Friend

April 18, 2015
By Zarina Haffizulla SILVER, Davie, Florida
Zarina Haffizulla SILVER, Davie, Florida
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Friend

When the first day of school started, everyone was sleepy, nervous, and sad. A lot of returning students came back to school, and some new students. This was their first time going to Grasswood High School. I wasn’t nervous at all because I was returning as a sophomore. So nothing was really new to me compared to last year. School started around 8:00, I was going to my PE class 1st hour. There were two freshmen, two sophomores, one junior, and three seniors. I started to notice around week 3 and 4 of school. This sophomore boy, Jake, was being bullied by the juniors and the freshmen. This was his first year at the school, and people started to bully him and make fun of him. They made fun of him because he was socially awkward and he had a speech problem. It was horrible. Whenever I came to PE class, they would imitate his speech problems, try to trip him while we ran laps, and I would hear them make horrible jokes about him outside of the locker room. The boys would even beat him up after school everyday. I would tell them to back off. They were afraid of me because I was a fifth degree black-belt in kenpo karate.This all started because he told them to stop being so loud in the locker room. So, they ended up thinking that he was being annoying and ignorant.  I would always tell him, to just ignore them, and tell the coach if it’s getting out of hand. I would also say, “They are just annoying people that have nothing else to do in their lives,” “I know them, all they do is bully other people for their own entertainment,”
Jake started to take my advice and told the coach that the other freshmen and juniors were bullying him. After that, the coach said that she noticed it for the past couple weeks, and she wanted to see if they would own up to their own actions. She told the deans that this was happening, and they ended up getting suspended for their cruel and horrible actions. I would always look out for Jake because I didn’t want him to get hurt again. I later became friends with him because he seemed like a very nice guy. I didn’t care about him being speech impediment  or being socially awkward. Now that we’re friends we both look out for each other and support each other in any situation.