Do You Remember? | Teen Ink

Do You Remember? MAG

By Anonymous

June was you by the pool. The day we first met, remember? I thought you were just one of those brawny lifeguard guys – you know the type: pretend to be all sweet, save the little kid from drowning, then go out and get totally hammered at night. I paid no ­attention to you, thought you were one of the heartbreakers, the ones I couldn’t care less about. But you had that smile with the dimples, and you came over just to offer me a watermelon Jolly Rancher. My favorite flavor. How did you know? That’s when I knew you were different.

July. August. After work we’d spread ourselves out on the field and drown in the sun, laugh at all those stupid jokes that aren’t even funny anymore. Why did we laugh so much back then?

Your studio, an explosion of color with your paintings enclosing you like a corral. Sometimes they made me jealous, when you saw them more than you saw me, but I loved them all the same. I loved that one of the beautiful girl with the long black hair, the one who looked so sad, but you wouldn’t say who she was. You’d never say. I’ll never know. So many secrets locked up in that little box of yours. You were fun, but you were serious.

“I want to be painted like that,” I said, because the painting was so beautiful. And you said, “Okay. Let’s do it.”

I still have that painting of me, by the way. You can only see half my face in it. “Why is that?” I asked. You shrugged. Another secret.

September. October. I love October. And you loved it too. When the leaves dance on the sidewalk and twirl through the air, when the world bleeds orange and red, and the air is like your stepmom’s apple crisp. We breathed it in together. We stood on the hill and closed our eyes, stretched our arms and spun around like five-year-olds, forgetting there was a world below. We listened to the wind whisper our names.

October was when we took the train downtown. It was fun that day, I don’t remember why. We skipped school (that was when school didn’t matter) and we rode downtown with your easels and paper and chalk and pencils, and we were going to draw fall. We drew the houses and trees, little kids flying a kite in the park, a mother duck and her ducklings wading through a river, a man asleep on a park bench, a maple leaf crisper than your stepmom’s apple crisp.

And you said, “Fall is a bit sad.”

And I asked why, and you said, “I dunno. It means summer’s over. It’s like ­losing something you can’t have back, like love.”

And I said, “But summer always comes back, doesn’t it?” And you said maybe.

We raked up a pile of leaves with a stick. We made this really big pile, laughing and running around it, losing half the leaves ’cause we’d stuff them in each other’s hair and shirts. We held hands, almost afraid to jump, like little kids taking their first dive into the deep end. One, two, three, go! And we sank into the big orange bed together.

I remember your easel that I carved my initials into. I remember the dimples on your cheeks, the eyes that were always on me. Your worn-out copy of The Great Gatsby that you read to me sometimes, and your plaid red scarf. I have that scarf, by the way. I wish it still smelled like you.

It’s October again, and the leaves are still dancing and the geese are still singing their good-bye song, and the bullfrog doesn’t sing because the pond’s almost frozen over. I wore your scarf yesterday as I rode the train downtown. I crossed the street to the park where we made the bed of leaves, and I tried to remember exactly where it was. And fall feels a little sad this year, like losing love.

I’m waiting to see if the summer comes back.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 284 comments.


Coop123 BRONZE said...
on Sep. 8 2010 at 4:46 pm
Coop123 BRONZE, Mt. Airy, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
Deja vu'! This is the part where I tell you to SHUT UP!!!

Its very nice. and i can totaly fell wat ur writing

 


on Sep. 5 2010 at 5:37 pm
meganwagner21 PLATINUM, Old Bridge, New Jersey
42 articles 0 photos 139 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes good things have to fall apart so better things can fall together." -Marilyn Monroe
"Nobody can go back and make a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -Maria Robinson

fantastic! i like how it keeps you guessing. read mine stuff anyone?

ellie315 GOLD said...
on Aug. 17 2010 at 11:29 pm
ellie315 GOLD, South Pasadena, California
10 articles 0 photos 86 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything." -- William Shakespeare

wowee! I love this! Its so real and intense. lots of emotion:) good job.

Coffee BRONZE said...
on Aug. 17 2010 at 9:57 pm
Coffee BRONZE, Tallahassee, Florida
4 articles 5 photos 184 comments

Favorite Quote:
Your Face.

Great! so creative!

on Aug. 17 2010 at 2:10 pm
kielymarie SILVER, Sandy Hook, Connecticut
6 articles 0 photos 85 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When you do dance, I wish you a wave 'o the sea, that you might never do nothing but that." -William Shakespeare

Love this! You have a GREAT style.

on Aug. 17 2010 at 12:50 pm
Alcanno DIAMOND, Mexia, Texas
59 articles 0 photos 670 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is
made up of."

-- Bruce Lee

This is amazing. The end gave me chills. I think one reason I love this so much is because it is relatable, but not like a common boring thing - not everyone is lucky enough to have what you just described. GREAT writing, your style is original and fresh. Check out my stuff if you get a chance please? And definitely keep writing!

on Aug. 17 2010 at 11:19 am
Meghan Hammond BRONZE, Winchester, Virginia
4 articles 11 photos 6 comments
that's really good!!

Runner242 GOLD said...
on Aug. 17 2010 at 11:08 am
Runner242 GOLD, Rochester, New York
16 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Dumbledore

LOVE THIS! Great use of imagrey, keep it up:)

friend-less said...
on Aug. 17 2010 at 10:15 am
friend-less, Natick, Massachusetts
0 articles 0 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Really great description. The story definately evokes an emotional response from the reader. Awesome job.

on Jul. 26 2010 at 7:36 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
16 articles 0 photos 620 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Wonderful! That was really sweet! Keep writing!

a_essie BRONZE said...
on Jul. 26 2010 at 7:00 pm
a_essie BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
Fairy Tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. --G.K. Chesteron

magnificent! Amazing! Wonderful! loved it!

on Jul. 26 2010 at 6:59 pm
deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 439 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

Fabulous!!Don't stop writing, you've got talent!!

on Jul. 26 2010 at 2:11 pm
DiamondsIntheGrass GOLD, Martinsville, New Jersey
14 articles 1 photo 278 comments

Favorite Quote:
Worry is simply a misuse of the imagination.

sad, but hopeful. beautiful. 

blue_ink GOLD said...
on Jul. 26 2010 at 11:43 am
blue_ink GOLD, Downers Grove, Illinois
16 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Reality is a state of mind”

OMG! I loved this. Sad, but hopeful. great writing. Probably my favorite story I've read so far. :)

cdemi12 BRONZE said...
on Jul. 26 2010 at 10:34 am
cdemi12 BRONZE, Grayslake, Illinois
2 articles 7 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.” --Mark Twain

Such a great love story! I love the imagery that I see of the couple! Beautiful job!!

on Jul. 26 2010 at 1:44 am
teenbookworm14 PLATINUM, Plainfield, Connecticut
41 articles 0 photos 164 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Nothing gold can stay" -Robert Frost

this is plain out amazing. i wish i could write something like this but i only write poetry, comment on mine please? thanks and great work, 5 stars, wish i could do more ;)

on Jul. 13 2010 at 1:23 pm
wild-free BRONZE, Billerica, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 52 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All good things are wild and free." - Henry David Thoreau

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore

This story is wonderful. The simplicity of your writing is beautiful and works really well in keeping the reader interested. Your descriptive writing also paints a picture for the reader, and the picture is very, very pretty. :)

Amazing job! 


EllieK. BRONZE said...
on Jul. 4 2010 at 1:17 pm
EllieK. BRONZE, Wilmette, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 74 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Not all who wander are lost"
JRR Tolkien

"Sometimes life sucks, so suck it up"
-ME

""We succeeded in taking that picture (from deep space), and if you look a it, you see a dot. Thats here. That's home. Thats us. On it, everyone you ever heard of

This is so CUTE and SAD, but I really liked it. It was wonderful.

Btw, would any of you mind checking some of my work out. Thanks if ya do!


on Jul. 4 2010 at 10:46 am
Stargirl212 GOLD, Atlanta, Georgia
13 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"No matter how dark the sky, you'll always have the stars."

This is my favorite piece EVER!! beautiful. keep writing PLEASE~!

courteycat said...
on Jul. 4 2010 at 1:31 am
courteycat, Lompoc, California
0 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
interesting...

I loved it but it made me kinda sad but I still loved it:)