The Grand Canyon | Teen Ink

The Grand Canyon

November 10, 2014
By idiotdirtbag SILVER, Albany, Oregon
idiotdirtbag SILVER, Albany, Oregon
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I require ham." -Luke Hemmings


 "Oscar, get your foot off there," Ashley pressed, looking over at the blond lad who had his left foot pressing against the headrest of the driver's seat.

  Both Oscar and Ashley were in the car, on their way to the Grand Canyon. Liz, Oscar's mum, was driving and Anne, Ashley's mum, was in the passenger seat. The two ladies decided to take their sons to the Grand Canyon as a family get-together type of event, at least that's what they were calling it. In all honesty, Liz and Anne had just come by to visit their children, whom were eighteen, whilst they had their rare weekend off. Taking advantage of the spare time, they convinced them on going on a road trip to the Grand Canyon.
  "No," Oscar said, still only paying attention to whatever was on his phone.
  Ashley hit him in the arm. "Get your foot down, you're getting the seat dirty."
  Oscar rolled his eyes, looking at Ashley. "It's fine, Ash."
  "What are you two whining about?" Anne said, turning in her seat to face them.
  "Oscar won't get his foot off the seat and he's making it dirty," Ashley said, gesturing to what Oscar was doing.
  "Oscar, get your foot off the back of my seat. This is not your car to get filthy," Liz warned, not taking her eyes of the road.
  Anne turned back around right as Oscar groaned, muttering a "fine."
  Ashley smiled, then she turned her body to where she was sitting sideways, her legs lying across the backseat, her feet on Oscar's lap.
  Oscar turned his head, glaring at Ashley. "Get them off. Now."
  "No."
  "Ashley, off," Oscar commanded, pushing Ashley's feet off his lap.
  Ashley immediately reacted by putting her feet back where they were. "No, I want them here."
  "Yeah, well I don't."
  Her feet got pushed off again, but made they made their way back to Oscar's lap.
  "Too bad."
  "Anne," Oscar whined. "Ashley won't get her feet off me and they're making my pants dirty."
  "Ashley, remove your feet from Oscar," Anne said.
  After letting out a long groan, Ashley moved her feet, sitting back in her original up-right position. She stared out the window, sighing.
  "If you two don't behave yourselves," Liz started, growing annoyed with their irrational behavior. "I won't stop at any restrooms until we get there. And we still have two hours to go."
  "You wouldn't," Oscar said, trying to see through what he thought were his mother's lies.
  "I would," she said sternly.
  Both teen's eyes grew large, knowing that this time she wasn't  kidding. They definitely couldn't make it another two hours without a bathroom break, considering they just drank a very large soda.
  "Mum, can we please stop at the next rest area?" Oscar pleaded.
  "Are you going to behave yourselves?"
  "Yes, we swear," both Ashley and Oscar said unison.

      ***

  They finally arrived to the Grand Canyon, all four of them getting out if the car and stretching. They paid their way in at the little booth set up at the entrance and they proceeded their way in. They all had walked up to a ledge, taking in the view.
  "Wow," they all said, being mesmerized by the scenery.
  Oscar turned to Liz, getting her attention.
  "What?" She asked.
  "Can Ashley and I walk a different path and meet up with you guys in a few minutes?"
  Liz sighed, handing her son a map, pointing at a trail that crossed with another one.  "Yeah, just meet us here."
  Oscar took the map, and took Ashley, and walked away. It was nice to get away from their mums for a bit. Even though Oscar and Ashley spent almost all their time together, they still treasured every moment. They loved being with each other, it was probably their favorite pass-time.
  It's been two years since they've been together; three days ago being their second anniversary. Oscar, being the hopeless romantic that he is, took Ashley out to a nice dinner, a movie, and laser tagging. It was great, and Ashley really appreciated all the stuff Oscar went through to make it happen. Ashley was going to plan something, but Oscar told her not to.
  However, she did get Oscar a present, a silver guitar pick necklace that had "Ash + Oscar 2.26.12," engraved on it; the day they started going steady. Oscar loved it so much, he promised it wear everyday. Oscar also got a present for Ashley, an infinity bracelet with "I love you" engraved on it. Yes, they were kind of cheesy, cliché presents, but they loved them, almost as much as they loved each other. After two years of being with someone, you really get the opportunity to see the real them, and the opportunity to fall in love with them, deeply and truly.
  They walked up to a ledge of the canyon, Ashley hugging Oscar's side.
  "The view of the canyon sure is beautiful," Ashley said, taking in the large rust-colored canyon.
  "Not as beautiful as you, babe."
  Oscar pressed a kiss to the top of Ashley's head, hugging her back. Ashley looked up at her boyfriend, smiling softly.
  "I love you, Oscar," she blushed.
  "I love you, too."

      ***

  Twenty minutes later, the couple waited for their mums at the spot they agreed upon meeting. Not seeing their mothers for three minutes, they grew impatient. Oscar untangled himself from the smaller lad, and started removing his clothes.
  "Oscar what are you doing?!" Ashley freaked.
  Oscar shook his head, continuing to strip. "If you see either of our mums, make the signal."
  "What's the signal?"
  "The chocolate mouse runs at midnight," Oscar said, now only in his boxer-briefs. "Get your phone out. When I'm ready take my picture. But, keep an eye out."
  "What on Earth is he doing?" Ashley thought to herself. "There's absolutely no reason as to why he should be wearing such minimal clothing in a public. Especially at a place like the Grand Canyon. You know, I'm not even going to question it anymore. There are so many bizarre things Oscar does, that this actually doesn't phase me, it's definitely an 'Oscar thing'."
  Ashley nodded, readying her phone's camera, focusing it on Oscar, looking around to make sure their mum's weren't there. "The coast is clear."
  Oscar smiled, turning his back to Ashley, and taking off his underwear, essentially mooning the camera. He held his pants in his right hand, spreading his arms wide, like an eagle. "Ready!"
  Ashley snapped the picture and giggled. "Got it."
  "OSCAR ROBERT WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?!" Liz called out.
  Their mums were back.
  Oscar quickly put his underwear back on and tried really hard to put his pants back on, but failing to do so, falling on his butt. "N-nothing."
  Ashley rushed over to help him up, dusting off his butt.
  "That's not what it looks like!" Anne yelled.
  Oscar got his pants up and put on his shirt, blushing out of control, obviously embarrassed. "I, uh, I thought it would be a good idea..."
  "It was a stupid idea, Oscar! Do you know how many people could've seen you? And taken pictures? They'd be all over the internet and your reputation would be ruined," Liz pressed.
  lowered his head, looking at his feet. "Ash was on lookout."
  "Well obviously she wasn't too good at her job, we found you," Anne pointed out.
  "Sorry, babe," Ashley muttered.
  "I'm sorry, mum, I was thinking it was punk rock," Oscar said.
  "Whatever," Liz spat.

      ***

  They got home around midnight, that night, and they were exhausted. Liz and Anne said goodnight to their children, Oscar and Ashley slowly made their way to their separate bedrooms.
  They both changed into their pajamas and crawled into bed, not caring whether or not they brushed their teeth. Despite how disgustingly unhygienic that was, they were just too worn out to do anything other than sleep.
  Oscar had learned the hard way that when he didn't brush his teeth before bed, he'd have to brush them twice in the morning.
  A while back, Oscar and Ashley's friends, Daniel and Herbert, had invited them to a party, which they went to of course. They spent the whole night partying like crazy animals and by the time they returned to their humble abode, they were too burnt to brush their teeth. When the morning came around, Oscar had given Ashley her usual morning kiss, but this time Ashley was disgusted.
  "Ew!" She shrieked. "You didn't brush before you kissed me?! What's wrong with you?"
  Oscar quickly put his hands up defensively, raising his eyebrows. "I did! I just got done, I swear!"
  "Well go do it again, nasty. Your breath reminds me of a dog's butthole."
  Oscar went back into the bathroom to brush his teeth once more, and continued about his day.
      ***

  During breakfast, the two teens gathered around the table with their mums, eating waffles and bacon. Oscar was on his phone, despite Anne's no-phone-at-the-table policy, scrolling through Instagram. Oscar rolled his eyes, groaning at the picture he saw. Both Liz and Anne posted the same picture of Ashley and him cuddled up, asleep, in the backseat on their way home yesterday.
  "Mum," Oscar whined. "Why'd you post that? That's embarrassing."
  "What is?" Liz laughed. "You and your girlfriend showing affection for each other? Last time I checked, you liked doing that."
  "No, you posting pictures of us sleeping," Oscar pressed.
  Liz laughed. "And taking all your clothes off at the Grand Canyon isn't?"
  "No, mum, it's punk rock."