A Wish For Her This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

“Is that her?”
“What? Who?”
“Shh … here she comes.”

“Oh … her.”

We avert our eyes as she walks by. We clutch our books tightly to our chests, stare down at our sneakers, and hold our breath as she passes. Whispers follow her like shadows as she scurries up the stone stairs, through the metal doors. Lisa and I exchange looks. The bell rings in our ears, and we head inside.

“Who’s she with today?” Lisa asks at lunch.

“Toby,” I scoff, biting into my ­sandwich.

“Figures. Apparently they had a great time at Jack’s apartment last weekend.” I make a face.

“Disgusting.” Lisa laughs.

“I bet she has all sorts of diseases.”

“I bet she’s wearing his sweatshirt. The one that smells as bad as he does.”

“I bet she’s gonna be one of those girls who never goes to college and ends up on the street.”

“I bet she’s gonna be a …” I look around to make sure no teachers are listening, “whore.”

That’s her new name. It spreads like a foul disease around the school, through the hallways, passed from one lip-gloss-smeared mouth to the next. Some kids just call her “The W,” or “The H” for the stupid ones who can’t spell. It’s what she is. It’s who she is. And none of us like her. None except Toby and Mitchell and all those guys who are too dumb to see her for who she really is. We see her kissing guys in the alley after school each day, like she doesn’t even care, like she doesn’t even know.

Don’t worry, we’re gonna make her realize who she really is. We’re gonna make her feel so bad she’ll shrink like a little mouse and learn her lesson and stay away from all of them, especially Devin, who liked me all of sixth grade ’til she stole him last summer.

We isolate her. We don’t speak to her, not even when she asks what the homework for last night was. Find it out yourself, stupid. We leave notes in her locker, and we snicker as she walks by.

Have you learned your lesson yet, princess? Are you ever gonna stop wearing so much lipstick and eyeliner and skirts that are way too short? Are you ever gonna put out that cigarette or throw out those bottles? You’re 13 – what’s wrong with you? Didn’t your parents ever teach you what’s right and wrong? Half the grade hates you. Sticks and stones, you say, but soon it’ll be real. I will smash up your pretty face if I have to. I’ll break your bones. I could snap your neck over my knee.

***

I walk home from Lisa’s house, and I take the long way because I want to look at the moon and the stars. I want to cross the cornfield, because once I saw a shooting star. I have to walk through the sketchy neighborhood to get there, though, but I should be okay if I hurry.

Suddenly, I hear a man’s voice ­coming from one of the houses, the one with the shingles falling off and the rusty car in the driveway. He is yelling. I rush behind a tree, heart ­racing so loud I’m sure he can hear. Suddenly I see a familiar figure. It’s her. She and the man are yelling at each other. He lashes out at her, and I wince. I can hear the slap.

And then the door closes. She is alone, and she sits on her porch steps. And she cries. I’ve never seen her cry before. Alone, with no boys, out in the cold night, crying, crying, crying so hard she can’t breathe. Her tears make ugly black lines down her face. And suddenly, she looks up, and our eyes lock. I run.

I run past the houses and the deli and the gas station with the creepy owner, and the ice cream store where we get really great slushies. I cross the street, my heart racing, out of breath and into the lush grass of the cornfield. I collapse on the ground, my arms and legs spread apart, trying to catch my breath and hold back the tears, though I can’t understand why they’re coming.

She was so alone. So sad. She is loved by no one but those boys. And I’m not sure they even really love her.

Suddenly I look up and see something sparkle across the indigo sky, a little explosion of white like a firecracker on the Fourth. I close my eyes.

And I wish for her.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the January 2009 Teen Ink Fiction Contest.

SheilaZyra said...
FIVE STARS!!! Great job!! It's so sad to think how often this happens, and it's great that you could put it out there so well!

M.K.Slate said...
THIS IS VERY GOOD

ftheworld said...
Oct. 21, 2010 at 11:27 am:
God Bless The Dead

McNinabean said...
Oct. 21, 2010 at 10:04 am:
This is great! I love the feeling you but into it :)

JDlaxerx0x06 said...
Oct. 21, 2010 at 9:18 am:
AMAZING. great work. very stong.

peregrinefalcon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is beautiful. So much truth. Amazing.

communicativedistractions said...
At first i was like wow what a brat! haha :) it's real life stuff though. Great work :)

bluegirl440 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 4, 2010 at 9:56 am:
fantastic! one of my favorites

SoccerMonster said...
This was phenominal :) This is really telling people what teenage girls go through and what they do at the age of 13 :) This was very true and i hope you keep posting more work :D

Dragonscribe said...
great, excellent work!

kmarie17 said...
WOW. if only people could not be so judgemental. I love this absolutly love this. please read my work! your amazing!

BrightBurningCampeadorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Absolutely awesome! It all sounds so real.

MARINA32 said...
wow thats amazing!

TheShadeNovelist said...
wow.....i was totally shocked and baffled how this story turned out.....the writing is powerful and it gives a true moral.....thank you for writing it

kristina-marie said...
amazingly put. this really makes people think about what is really happening in someone's life. you can't just judge someone. i love it. great job. its a good perspective.

mimirocks124 said...
wow amazing storyyy. relly more than meets the eye

ChillieMae said...
Aug. 23, 2010 at 7:17 am:
This story really captivated. It makes you realize that many times there is more to a story than what meets the eye

AllAmericanGirl said...
Well written. Love the way you used the dialoge. It makes the story come alive.

Smoothieheart said...
This is great!! a great moral, and everything. greatly described too. I ejoyed it a lot. write more please!

justwannabeme said...
 this was absolutly amazing!!! i am going to keep this in my head for forever so i will remember not to judge everyone that i see. keep writing. and if i havent said this already, this is absolutly amazing!!! :)