From the Beyond | Teen Ink

From the Beyond

It’s a starry summer night and we’re at the beach, walking slowly along the shore, hand in hand. All is quiet, except for the soft splashing of the water. The way the wet sand soaks my toes feels good. The cool air refreshes my skin.
“Its beautiful isn’t it.” She says, her dark shiny hair swaying gently in the breeze.
“Yeah.” I reply, taking in the entire scene. I have to admit, it is quite a sight.

The full moon brightens up the night sky. It reflects in the surface of the ocean, making the water shine luminously. For a while, I lose myself in studying the stars. Deep space has always fascinated me. The thought of the earth being barely a speck of the universe is extraordinary. It makes me wonder if there are other living beings out there.

Surprisingly, she must be able to read my thoughts.
“It’s hard to imagine, isn’t it, the endless amount of stars?” She says.

“Yeah. It’s unimaginable to the human mind.” I reply.

Her moonlit face then turns to look at me. Her dark eyes are the most gorgeous eyes I have ever seen, quiet, yet full of mystery.

“Do you think there are other beings out there, that we’re not alone,” she asks. She always has a gentle approach to things, like a little adorable child. I realize I’ve never seen her angry before.

“I would imagine. With how infinitely huge the universe is, why would we be the only form of life,” I reply, gazing up at the sky. I see a shooting star.

“You never know, you could be right,” she says, moving closer to me. She grips my arm and leans against me. I hesitantly put my hand around her waist. I love her so much. Ever since she came into my life, a week ago, I feel reawakened to the world.

The shooting star arcs over the full moon.

“I love you, I always will, no matter what happens,” she says.

“I love you too,” I reply. And as if it were the end of a romantic movie, we kiss, long and hard.

It’s the most extraordinary moment of my life! Every last ounce of my body is literally energized, as if some sort of power is draining into me. It’s unexplainable. I think it might be a glimpse of heaven.
She’s amazing. Sometimes, I wonder if she’s even human.
We part and end up staring at each other. I notice I’m the only one breathing heavily. She reaches into her pocket and pulls out an object.

It’s a ring.

“I want you to have this,” she says, putting it gently in my hand, “ as long as you have this, I’ll always be with you.”
I feel stupid; I have nothing to give her. I observe the ring as I slide it on my finger. The craftsmanship is truly outstanding! No one on this earth could create a jewel like that. It would take a million years at the least. The ring has a bluish black kind of orb embedded into it. Magical.
“Thanks,” I say, “I’ll have to get something for you.”
“That would be nice.”
We walk a little further. It’s getting really late out, my parents will kill me if I don’t get home soon.
“Well, I have to get going,” she says.
“Yeah me too.”
She seems different now somehow. Now she’s like a little sad girl saying goodbye. I don’t like it. Is she breaking up with me?
“Bye, I love you.” She slowly walks off.
“I love you too,” I reply feeling I’m missing something.
I watch as she turns a street corner and disappears from my sight. A couple of minutes pass and I am still standing. After about a minute I can’t stand it anymore, I dart after her. I have to see her beauty again. I turn the corner and don’t see her anywhere in sight. It’s as if she vanished. I shout out her name a couple of times, hoping she will reply, but get no response. I search the area quickly for few minutes, frantically trying to find her, but still am unsuccessful. My heart is racing, I hope she wasn’t kidnapped or anything.
I stop to catch my breath. I gaze up at the sky, and surprisingly, I see another shooting star. What a coincidence. I know it’s a strange thought, but I wonder if she had anything to do with it. To me, there wasn’t anything she wasn’t capable of doing.

That night and what happened was about a year ago, when I was sixteen, I’m seventeen now. The morning following that night I filed a missing persons report. Weeks and weeks passed and no one found her. The strange thing was that no seemed to know who she was, they said she never existed, that she was all a fantasy I had made up. Whenever I spoke about her, my family and friends got really upset with me, thinking that I needed help, so soon I completely dropped the subject of her. Months and months have past and everything is back to normal. I still think about her though. I dream about her often. I know she was real.

Tonight I am sitting on my bed, going through my old stuff. Dang, I drop one of my old boxes. It crashes on the floor and scatters the contents messily onto the floor. I annoyingly start to pick the stuff up.
But wait a minute!
I come across a familiar object that I haven’t seen for quite a while.
It’s the ring she gave to me! I’m so exhilarated that I almost get up to go tell my parents, but I don’t, they won’t be as happy as I am.
I now, in my hands, have proof that she existed. She was real! I slip the ring onto my finger and am instantly astounded. I feel her presence, as if she is standing right next to me in my room. She’s with me. It was her promise.
Strange, but instinctively I get up and go look out the window. It’s another starry night, similar to the last night we were together, and I’m not surprised to see another shooting star arc over a full moon.
I put everything together and realize that she was from the beyond.