The Train | Teen Ink

The Train

By jackchase PLATINUM, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
jackchase PLATINUM, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

A train is coming. It has been coming for as long as you remember. You stand from the cold hard bench and look out in the pouring rain. You look down at your watch. The train should have arrived by now. It's late. Is it? You look back down at your watch and realize you aren't wearing one. You look around at all the crumpled up pieces of brown paper around you. You think and think and cant remember what it is you are boarding the train for. You don't need to be anywhere, see anyone, or do anything. So what have you been waiting for this whole time? This train. But to take you where? You sit down on a nearby bench and close your eyes. Why this train? Why now? Suddenly, you look around, and notice you are alone. No one else is standing on the outdoor platform with you. As you sit there, you try and remember how you ever got to waiting for that train. As you think, you remember entering the station, knowing full well this train would be late. Heck, you knew it may never come, but you still stood and waited. In the pouring rain. You look up. Hard steel bumping against the tracks. The train was approaching. You wait for it to come to a full stop, but before you can even stand, the doors open and a man walks out. He walks straight up to you and hands you a brown letter. You open it with drenched hands and read:

Dear valued railway customer,

We appreciate you waiting for your train, and regret to inform you that your train will be late.

Thank You.
You look up at the man and he silently turns to leave.
"Wait!" You cry, but he has already gone. So has the train. You realize it will be a very long time until your train comes. You should just leave the station, maybe take a cab to wherever you need to go. But what if right as you leave, the train comes? No, you cant take that risk. Just wait a little while longer. You crumple up the letter in your hands and throw it to the ground.
"I'll wait." You think aloud. "I'll wait for this one train. Once it comes, and I leave, I'll never return to this station. I can go wherever I want! It'll be amazing!" Now, you just have to wait. After all, a train is coming. It has been coming for as long as you can remember. You stand from the cold hard bench and look out in the pouring rain. You look down at your watch. The train should have arrived by now. It's late. Is it?