The Cookie | Teen Ink

The Cookie

By Sean7 BRONZE, Snoqualmie, Washington
Sean7 BRONZE, Snoqualmie, Washington

I sat and waited. Waited for the last few painful seconds to tick down on the timer. After a horrid thirty seconds, it did. I jumped of the hard wooden stool and ran over to the blaring oven. I reached in with an oven mitt, removed the tray, and set them down on a counter top. The cookies may have been a little over cooked, but my little brother didn’t care much. I picked a cookie off the tray to sample the batch. The top of the cookie was an almost cedar like color on top, while the bottom had a dark, reddish dirt hue to it, freshly dug up. The cookie had nearly the same scent as well. I took a long sniff of the fragrant aroma. It smelt of a recent rain shower, mixed with an essence of cocoa and freshly ground coffee beans. The smell of it made my mouth water out of control. When the pineapple shaped cookies had cooled enough to handle, I carried them over to another table. In the process of moving the steel tray, I caught the audible crunch of a cookie contacting the cold, hard tile flooring. My little brother scampered from his hiding place by the oven and began eating the shattered cookie. When I reached the second table, I plunked the cookie sheet down on the counter top, and then proceeded to get the final piece of the already amazing cookies.

When I put in the coffee beans, the chocolate cubes, and the macadamia nuts, (one of the three goes on one cookie) my fingers brushed the surfaces of the cookies. They felt like a pumice stone, coated in silky sand that had been pummeled by an hour’s worth of sun radiation. Since I could, because the sight of the cookies was eating at my soul, I decided to ‘sample’ a cookie from the batch. I picked up one cookie, bit into it and waited for the cookie to food my mouth. When it did, I tried to savor the scrumptious ( and appetizing) flavor of volcanic coffee, rich dark cocoa, raw cane juice, and a hint of coconut, even though the coconut wasn’t part of it. But it was in fact, a coffee cookie shaped like a pineapple, that I had had made as best as I could to imitate a cookie had in Maui, made by the Maui Cookie Company™. There’s however, appealed to my five senses better than My Own Cookies™.

This was an assignment for class - it had to be about a cookie and to use all the senses in describing it.