Pink Shoes | Teen Ink

Pink Shoes

February 26, 2013
By DD_Yellow GOLD, Papillion, Nebraska
DD_Yellow GOLD, Papillion, Nebraska
11 articles 1 photo 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
ce la vi :)


Mom bought a new pair of shoes for me today. Pink shoes. With sparkles and flowers.
What part of “I HATE PINK AND SPARKLES” and “DO NOT GET ME GIRLY STUFF TODAY AT THE MARKET” did she not understand?
I mean, I’m seventeen years old, not a girly girl, not a tomboy, but I do not like PINK! Pink is such an overrated color if you ask me.
Anyway, who the heck buys a new pair of PINK SPARKLY SHOES WITH FLOWERS for a girl that is about to graduate.
Okay, I understand that my mom loves me and thinks about me when she sees something pretty, but honestly, we have totally different tastes in clothing and fashion.
Besides buying PINK SPARKLY SHOES WITH FLOWERS she presented them with the most terrible phrase a mother can tell you when you don’t like something “I bought them because I love you and I thought of you when I laid eyes on them. I hope you like ‘em!”
“MOM! No!” is what I thought, but it is different from what I said…“Thanks mom! I love them!” Great, I just sold my soul to the devil.
I am so angry with myself because now I think my mom is expecting me to wear them all the time. What am I going to do? It’s not like I can give them away or hide them in my very clean room, the room my mom checks every week.
Honestly! Who the hell buys PINK SPARKLY SHOES WITH FLOWERS!!!!
No, I do not like pink. Call me whatever you want, make fun of me, but that won’t change my opinion on pink. I was bullied by the girls that were ALWAYS wearing PINK, SPARKLES OR FLOWERS somewhere on their person.
Just no!


The author's comments:
This piece started as a 10 minute creative prompt in my Creative Writing class.