Showtime | Teen Ink

Showtime

June 22, 2008
By Anonymous

Time had escaped me. I glanced at the clock just as it shifted to a daunting 4:24. Shoot, I’m going to be late. A moment like this could not be ruined by my unfortunate habit of being delayed. Of course, everyone there was probably wondering where I was anyway. I tripped over my bulky, festive, pink duffel bag as I reached for my preferred black ballet flats set on the foot of my bed. I scurried to the back door, snatched my key fob, and slammed the door so hard I nearly made the frame shatter.

Within two feet of my car, I pitched my tote bag and cell phone into the passenger seat. That’s the good thing about convertible cars. I’d cherished my fire engine-red VW convertible bug ever since my father had handed it over to me. It had been my mom’s before she died. Too bad he’ll probably never speak to me again after humiliating him like I’m about to. The engine gave a quick stutter and the radio screeched as a loud, obnoxious chorus groaned on.

I reached the monstrous, oak doors and prayed that I had the right location. Who am I kidding, this is the only event happening today, save for the clearance sale at the local rug warehouse. I strained to open the doors and once I had them wide enough for me to shimmy through, I checked my watch. 4:27. Three minutes. I shuffled into the nearest ladies room, for I had just enough time to change. I kicked my tote over, and it revealed its contents on the way down. I furiously fought my way out of my cable knit sweater as I blindly searched for my favorite old tee. As soon as I was free from the itchy clutches of my sweater, I flung my tee over my head and wiggled my way out of my jean skirt. I traded it up for my jean pants that were almost too tight for me to fit comfortably into. I smacked my lips and ran my fingers hastily through my hair. Showtime.

The restroom door gave a soft thud as it shut behind me. I glanced at my wrist watch for what I hoped to be the last time. 4:29. Perfect, I’m making good time. I made it to another set of astounding wood doors settled at the end of a short corridor. I waited only seconds before pushing my way through. God, I hope I’m not here too early. God, I better be on target. God, I –
“Speak now or forever hold your peace.”

Right on cue.