If You Really Knew Me | Teen Ink

If You Really Knew Me

November 6, 2010
By David Campbell BRONZE, Colfax, California
David Campbell BRONZE, Colfax, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Hello Fellow Readers,
My name is Ralph Heisenburger, and I am going to tell you about myself. If you really knew me you would know that when I was young my mom would abuse me. She would only feed me every other day and it wouldn’t even be good food. My mom had tried to kill me a couple times but did not succeed. All of my brothers and sisters were killed but there was something about me that wouldn’t let her kill me. My dad was in and out of jail my whole life. He was in jail because of murder and robbery. When I was 10 years old he got the death sentence and was killed. I was kind of relieved because he would just like my mom and would try to kill me. At the age of 13 I was the only child because the rest of my family either was killed by my parents or ran away. After my mom had tried to kill me for the 10th time she gave up and left me to live on my own. She would come back every week and take all of my food. She took the food because she would sell it to buy drugs.
I went and lived with my friend Kirby when I was 15. We met up at school and he told me about himself and his story of growing up was just like mine. I moved into his step mom’s house with him but she didn’t like either of us. She would make us do everything and if we didn’t do it in the time period she wanted it to be in she would hit us with a bamboo stick. Let me tell you all the pain that I went through with my parents growing up never matched up to how much pain each lashing took to my body. Kirby and I tried many different drugs and alcohol but could never get addicted because it would put us through pain just thinking about our parents.
December 25 1995, Christmas day, Kirby and I had a plan. It wasn’t the smartest plan but it was a plan to put all of our pain away. We were going to commit suicide. I did not succeed but Kirby did. I was left alone with no one in the world that cared for me. It was just me, myself, and I. Kirby was the only bit happiness that I had in my life, but he is gone now and he left me in this hatred world to fend for myself. I still lived with step mom but I started to go to school again to get away from that crazy lady. I would wear the same stuff each day. Cut up jeans and a long sleeved sweatshirt. I had other clothes but none of them would hide my bruises or scars.
In 1996 I decided to go to a foster home. When I got there everyone was so nice and loving. They all cared about me and made me feel special. I was happy there because it was the first time that I ever had in my life that I knew that more than just one person cared and loved me. They made me go to high school. When I was in high school I made a lot of friends and learned many different things. I graduated from high school and went to the University of Arizona.
When I was in college I majored in zoology. I made many different friends and was known around the school. I was known as the “party animal.” I went to all of the parties and got hammed just to make me feel good and not think about my past. My foster family would come and visit me and gave me gifts. I found the love of my life at Arizona and her name was Rachael. It just so happened that we majored in the same thing. Coincidence much? We both graduated from college in 8 years and got all of our degrees.
Now we are married and have 3 kids. Two boys and one girl. The two oldest are twins and their names are David and Katie. The younger boys name is Demetri. We are one big happy family. We live in a three story house in Arizona. In two days we are going to have our grand opening of our zoo. It is the biggest zoo in America. To finish it off I just built a house for my foster family and they are coming to live down here and take partial ownership of the zoo. Well that’s all for now tune in next week to hear about the zoo.

Thanks for Reading,
Ralph Heisenburger


The author's comments:
This was a piece that i wrote in class. It is deffinently not real for anyone in my family or anyone that i know i just wanted to write and emotional choice for a if you really knew me.