Friends | Teen Ink

Friends

By jesusfreak17 SILVER, Winslow, Maine
jesusfreak17 SILVER, Winslow, Maine

"Tears are words from the heart that can't be spoken."- Unknown
"Anyone can make you smile or cry, but it takes someone special to make you smile when you already have tears in your eyes."- Unknown

As the night grows dark, a girl lays her head down to sleep. She has no home. She sleeps in the wild. With her no longer moving around, the animals come out of hiding. The biggest of them being a lion. The girl sleeps unknowing. The animals sense the change. They are aware that the lion is about to attack. As he begins stalking toward her the animals disappear. All is quiet except for the low thud his feet make as they touch the ground. Moving as silent as a mouse he approaches his prey. Then suddenly he stops dead in his tracks. The girl begins to stir and awaken. She sees the lion, but is not afraid.She has befriended the lion since the devastating day when her home was destroyed, including her parents. The lion was just a cub, when she herself, being only a child, found him and raised him. That was five years ago. Now the lion is a guardian. A friend. But most of all, her only family. She lays back down to sleep knowing she has nothing to fear, but once again wishing her parents were here. She curls up next to the lion and falls asleep to the gentle breathing of her only friend.

I was looking at a picture of a sleeping girl with a lion standing by her when I suddenly just got the urge to write a story about what I thought about the picture.