The Colors of Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

SharpestSatire said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 12:37 pm:
that is really cute. :) good job!

adristar96 said...
Very amazing I love it its very creative with the colors :)

***Rain*** said...
Wow. Who knew that a rainbow could show love?

Ashleykimiko said...
written through the simplicity of a child. very nice imagery through colors. very nice story about first love! great job!

Sydney P. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is very sweet and well written :) I loved it

Lover*that*Hates This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is very touching. It is super sweet and simple. I love it. Write more like this. Very good job.

McGurker This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It isn't bad.
Some things ("Barf Kisses: YUCK!") are unnecessary and degrade the impression of the piece.
It isn't so much a story as it is a snippet. A micro-fiction to brighten your day. Well done, well done.

Smilie_Kylie_:) replied...
Jan. 20, 2010 at 9:02 pm :
I found that the little bits (like about the almost-barf kiss) added a little more voice to the story. It gave you a feel of the narrator's thoughts a bit more.

dancingdaisies said...
Oh my gosh it's SSOO SSWWEEEETT!!!! It was funny, too!!(LOL)Iwish i had a boyfriend!!:(

^unshed.tears replied...
May 10, 2010 at 11:02 am :
i think there is someone out there for you to love :) just keep your eyes open. and great story, i really loved it, and it captures the love not many people find anymore. keep writing :) and could you check out some of my stuff? thanks :)

StormyJ said...
Jan. 20, 2010 at 9:54 am:
That was awesome!!! Your writing is like a whirlwind!!!!!!LOL

DEMON:DAIMON said...
What does the beautiful audience think? -DEMON Age:17 "Runaway" An excerpt... Darkness descended until the neon lights reflected elusive colors into the slick shadows of the wet street. Rain slid down my guant features, and I grinned wryly as I played with the strings of my acoustic guitar rhythmically. I tilted my face towards the polluted skies, and leaned the contours of my thin body against the brick wall. The city, empty and barren, shunned my existence. People, clad in coats ... (more »)

dkA.M replied...
Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:38 pm :
I find my self being pulled into a whirlpool of your stories
I am so intrigued by you, which is probably what you want to hear and
I understand it.
But honestly, here is a simile for you,
Your writing is like a rhythmic song lingering around me, it is wonderful.
So thank you very much for putting these words together and making my day brighter. Thank you for letting me know that someone can write as phenomenally as you can.

Smilie_Kylie_:) replied...
Jan. 20, 2010 at 9:07 pm :
I like your story Demon but why dont you write it out somewhere else instead of under someone else's work? It seems to be distracting from the great story above it.

SarahRox replied...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 3:23 pm :
haha, i agree

softballfan97 said...
so cute i love the story

JHale_44 said...
Cool story

sleeplessdreamer said...
Dec. 29, 2009 at 7:50 am:
That was soo sweet and fun to read. Great job!

danika said...
this was so cute...it was an amazing story.

Amour said...
Loved it!!! It was cute and it put a smile on my face. :)