Dear Death This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Dear Death,

Can you understand love? I seriously doubt that you can; because, if you could, you would have looked into my mother’s eyes when she had turned around to smile at me in the car that day. You would have seen what I had seen: the affection glowing in her hazel gaze and the joy that flitted across her lips. That blissful moment before terror.

You witnessed that love shining like a headlight in our midst, yet still you made our car swerve off the road. And you wrenched my mom and dad from life’s embrace. My embrace, even though I thought I was holding on tightly enough. Why did you take them cruelly in your arms, and stalk past my brother and I? We were in the car too! I’d rather be walking hand in hand with them (wherever you took them after that day) than be left in the dust of life.

When I woke up in the hospital the next obscure morning, white-coated figures told me that they were gone. Through my tears, I made a solemn vow. It was a vow to hate you for the rest of my life. Mom and Dad, gone? You don’t understand love.

Your newest enemy,
Rose

Dear Death,

It’s been a year since I last wrote you, and I have already broken my vow. You took Grandpa yesterday, but he was different. I loved Grandpa in a way that would bring tears to anybody’s eyes. He used to tell me fantasy stories, swearing that they were real. I’d say, “you’re crazy, Grandpa!” He would look really serious and say, “What? You think I’m crazy?” then smile and wink: “maybe a little bit.” He warmed my heart so much.

Cancer, supposedly, was the murderer. But I recognized your aura in the hospital when he called me in to talk. He told me that everything was okay, giving me a smile that I had come to know as my friend. He told me that everything was all right, that there was nothing to fear from you, that he was just moving on, that I would see him in time. His words consoled me, but I cried as he gave my hand a little squeeze. Then I saw his spirit floating like a veil out of the room. I could have sworn that it winked at me.

I broke my vow, because I forgive you.

With love,
Rose

Dear Death,

It has been four years since Grandpa died. My brother has had a really hard life (as have I, for that matter). I had often seen him in his room praying, with tears in his eyes, before he left home to get a job. I guess no one answered his prayers, because I was told this morning that he was found dead after having jumped from his apartment building. This time, I shed no tears. I am beyond that now, even though my big brother is gone.

Before Grandpa called me to his sickbed, I heard him saying to my brother with a smile “teach Rose all that you know after I’m gone.” He has done so, because I’m looking at the noose that I have tied for myself, a foot in front of me. I’m almost ready to walk into your arms, just like my family. Now I have just stepped up onto the chair…

I don’t know how these letters will reach you, but I hope they do.

I want you to see what you have done.

See you soon,
Rose

Dear Rose,

I want you to know that I have read and reread your letters; they were very beautiful. Silver tears line my worn face as I watch you swing slowly like a pendulum from the rope. I also want you to know this: I’m so sorry. But your brother, he had jumped; somebody had to catch him. But I know you loved him. Your grandpa, he shook my hand as I helped him from his deathbed; he knew that it was all okay. And I know that you loved him. As for your parents, I did see that look in your mother’s eyes; and I’m so sorry that she and your father had to leave with me. I know that you loved them. But I am the deliverer; some people must be left behind as I take the others with me.

I remember your first words to me. To answer, I do understand love. I have seen so much, how could I not? But I’m glad you wrote to me and that you will be joining the ones that you care about. I look into your tranquil face and think: this is not the end, Rose.

Your friend,
Death

Lola_Black said...
Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:12 am:
I'm currently sitting in the computer lab at school and trying not to cry. This was an amazing piece! The ending was so sad...Very good. Keep writing!

genny909 replied...
Mar. 7, 2012 at 11:56 am :
Omg! im currently in class Computer Application and this made me cry.. Listing to safe and sound by taylor Swift and reading thisd made me expload of tears. This is just incredible work. i commend you for writing such a beautiful pice!!!!!!!!!1

FULLSTOP replied...
Mar. 9, 2012 at 8:57 am :

genny909

pice?

PEICEis the word

(i come iin PEACE btw)

Victor_Hagar replied...
Mar. 12, 2012 at 7:34 pm :
Bro are you serious? Piece is the word. But not really; Bird is the word.

FULLSTOP replied...
Mar. 23, 2012 at 5:42 am :
It depends... peice of something or peace???? ha. ha.

. said...
Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:17 pm:
Wow! That made me cry so much! Keep Writing Please!

RamitaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 1, 2012 at 8:26 am:

This was such an amazing piece of work. Keep writing! 

Just curious - what inspired you to write this? (: 

Nooneknowsme said...
Mar. 1, 2012 at 6:36 am:

Your imagination is really fantastic!!

Love this!! ;)

LittleFlutiePie said...
Mar. 1, 2012 at 5:34 am:
This is beautifully written! I loved it. The unique perspectives were so descriptive and touching. Great job :)

KittyKitty said...
Feb. 29, 2012 at 12:41 pm:
L-O-V-E LOVE IT!!!!!!!

forgottenpennameThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 28, 2012 at 4:49 am:
THIS IS SO CREEPY. But really good to. I've got mega shivers going on -- great piece!! I like the unique perspective. :)

froggy said...
Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:25 pm:
This is amazing the way that it was written... This is truely and outstanding piece of writting...truely inspirational:) Love it!!

Jpsayshi said...
Feb. 27, 2012 at 5:05 pm:
Wow. This is really, really beautiful. I love it and wouldn't change it in any way.

BlueLillyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 26, 2012 at 9:28 am:
*sniff*sniff* So beautiful!

Skweekie said...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 12:02 pm:
This is beautiful! I've never been on this site before, never read anything here... you made me join. And made me cry, which is amazing! Thank you, and best wishes in your future writing. Don't ever stop :)

Charlie said...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 5:54 am:
I've never been on this website before, but I ended up on this page. And yes, it made me cry. Yes, I now love this website. It is incredibly hard to evoke emotion in such a short piece, but you managed it, and that makes you unique... Don't change. Please. :)

JessicaRae7 said...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 1:08 am:
There are tears in my eyes as I read this. This was truly just pure raw emotion. It was so moving. Truly beautiful and amazingly written.

firecleansed said...
Feb. 24, 2012 at 1:10 pm:
Though I didnt like it the raw emotion moved me past my personal feelings. It was as though this semi-dialogue answered many peoples emotional depths. I commend you.

Darkstar6265 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 24, 2012 at 1:44 am:
I feel for me at least that it's rare to find something that causes an instant but deep emotional hit. And you my friend have written it here. Thanks very much. 

shar.ett29 said...
Feb. 23, 2012 at 5:15 pm:
This is captivating and BEAUTIFUL. Great work!!!

Purplefeary134 said...
Feb. 22, 2012 at 5:59 pm:
I nearly cried because it was so beautiful and touching