Dear Death | Teen Ink

Dear Death

August 11, 2010
By Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia
40 articles 2 photos 1632 comments

Favorite Quote:
"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran


Dear Death,


Can you understand love? I seriously doubt that you can; because, if you could, you would have looked into my mother’s eyes when she had turned around to smile at me in the car that day. You would have seen what I had seen: the affection glowing in her hazel gaze and the joy that flitted across her lips. That blissful moment before terror.

You witnessed that love shining like a headlight in our midst, yet still you made our car swerve off the road. And you wrenched my mom and dad from life’s embrace. My embrace, even though I thought I was holding on tightly enough. Why did you take them cruelly in your arms, and stalk past my brother and I? We were in the car too! I’d rather be walking hand in hand with them (wherever you took them after that day) than be left in the dust of life.

When I woke up in the hospital the next obscure morning, white-coated figures told me that they were gone. Through my tears, I made a solemn vow. It was a vow to hate you for the rest of my life. Mom and Dad, gone? You don’t understand love.

Your newest enemy,
Rose

Dear Death,



It’s been a year since I last wrote you, and I have already broken my vow. You took Grandpa yesterday, but he was different. I loved Grandpa in a way that would bring tears to anybody’s eyes. He used to tell me fantasy stories, swearing that they were real. I’d say, “you’re crazy, Grandpa!” He would look really serious and say, “What? You think I’m crazy?” then smile and wink: “maybe a little bit.” He warmed my heart so much.

Cancer, supposedly, was the murderer. But I recognized your aura in the hospital when he called me in to talk. He told me that everything was okay, giving me a smile that I had come to know as my friend. He told me that everything was all right, that there was nothing to fear from you, that he was just moving on, that I would see him in time. His words consoled me, but I cried as he gave my hand a little squeeze. Then I saw his spirit floating like a veil out of the room. I could have sworn that it winked at me.

I broke my vow, because I forgive you.

With love,
Rose

Dear Death,



It has been four years since Grandpa died. My brother has had a really hard life (as have I, for that matter). I had often seen him in his room praying, with tears in his eyes, before he left home to get a job. I guess no one answered his prayers, because I was told this morning that he was found dead after having jumped from his apartment building. This time, I shed no tears. I am beyond that now, even though my big brother is gone.

Before Grandpa called me to his sickbed, I heard him saying to my brother with a smile “teach Rose all that you know after I’m gone.” He has done so, because I’m looking at the noose that I have tied for myself, a foot in front of me. I’m almost ready to walk into your arms, just like my family. Now I have just stepped up onto the chair…

I don’t know how these letters will reach you, but I hope they do.

I want you to see what you have done.




See you soon,
Rose

Dear Rose,


I want you to know that I have read and reread your letters; they were very beautiful. Silver tears line my worn face as I watch you swing slowly like a pendulum from the rope. I also want you to know this: I’m so sorry. But your brother, he had jumped; somebody had to catch him. But I know you loved him. Your grandpa, he shook my hand as I helped him from his deathbed; he knew that it was all okay. And I know that you loved him. As for your parents, I did see that look in your mother’s eyes; and I’m so sorry that she and your father had to leave with me. I know that you loved them. But I am the deliverer; some people must be left behind as I take the others with me.

I remember your first words to me. To answer, I do understand love. I have seen so much, how could I not? But I’m glad you wrote to me and that you will be joining the ones that you care about. I look into your tranquil face and think: this is not the end, Rose.

Your friend,
Death



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 239 comments.


on Mar. 1 2012 at 8:26 am
speedyboats BRONZE, Owensboro, Kentucky
4 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

This was such an amazing piece of work. Keep writing! 

Just curious - what inspired you to write this? (: 


on Mar. 1 2012 at 6:36 am
Nooneknowsme BRONZE, Ambathenna, Other
3 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don`t dream your life and live your dream!! ;)

Your imagination is really fantastic!!

Love this!! ;)


on Mar. 1 2012 at 5:34 am
LittleFlutiePie GOLD, Greeneville, Tennessee
10 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
I didn't build the wall to keep people out; I built it to see who cared enough to climb over it.

This is beautifully written! I loved it. The unique perspectives were so descriptive and touching. Great job :)

on Feb. 29 2012 at 12:41 pm
_alannahurt SILVER, Snyder, Texas
9 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
A blank piece of paper is God’s way of telling us how hard it to be God.
– Sidney Sheldon

L-O-V-E LOVE IT!!!!!!!

emmstar272 said...
on Feb. 28 2012 at 3:12 pm
hey victor, i totally agree with you. you pretty much articulated exactly how i felt after i read this: confused, disconnected with the character, etc. this piece seems immature. it tries to express major emotion in a 3 paragraphs. which can be achieved, however i just didn't feel it. i liked the idea but i think that the only way this would have been profound is if it was longer and more realistic than "poetic."

on Feb. 28 2012 at 4:49 am
forgottenpenname GOLD, Troy, Michigan
12 articles 0 photos 147 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Carpe diem."

THIS IS SO CREEPY. But really good to. I've got mega shivers going on -- great piece!! I like the unique perspective. :)

froggy BRONZE said...
on Feb. 27 2012 at 8:25 pm
froggy BRONZE, Alstead, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
Live life to the fullest!!

This is amazing the way that it was written... This is truely and outstanding piece of writting...truely inspirational:) Love it!!

on Feb. 27 2012 at 5:27 pm
Victor_Hagar SILVER, Dublin, Ohio
6 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's always important to give your arguments impact." Fallout 3, Strength Bobble-head.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that yes, there is growth, and yes, it seems that I picked it apart, and yes, I see the growth. I'm actually glad you pointed that out, because now I'm able to delve deeper into someones thoughts about my thoughts, and I can explain better my comments.
Now, then. The reason I say the flitting felt false, was that the character felt odd, almost omniscent, and it alienated me from the overall situation. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, and the effect is that the reader gets knocked of the back of the story, and it loses flow.
And the shifting of the character? For that, I think the story is much to short to have a wide spectrum of  shift, and it felt like she changed in the blink of an eye. Which ruins flow. Basically, you could have the most heartrenching story ever imagined and if it's flow was bad, the story suffers from it.
 I may come of as rude, but that's because I'm just so freaking passionate about writing that sometimes I forget mysellf, and I'm sorry if I offended anybody. After all, I don't dislike the writing because it's popular, but because it could've been drastically better. I enjoy reading fellow high school students express themselves, and to end the matter; I don't hate, I appreciate. Bam.

Jpsayshi said...
on Feb. 27 2012 at 5:05 pm
Wow. This is really, really beautiful. I love it and wouldn't change it in any way.

on Feb. 26 2012 at 7:36 pm
IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah
44 articles 16 photos 2206 comments

Favorite Quote:
Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

Hear, hear Ellie!

Ellie S. said...
on Feb. 26 2012 at 12:49 pm
I think you’re completely over thinking this. The easiest way to lose sight of the message of a piece is to overanalyze it, pick it apart, and judge it based on how “realistic” it is. Basically, exactly what you just did. I think you were so busy trying to logically explain everything that didn’t make sense to you that you pretty much missed what was right in front of your face. First, it seems to me (and I may be wrong) that when you read things like this you only see the words on the page. “The affection glowing in her hazel gaze and the joy that flitted across her lips. That blissful moment. . . ” A description such as this is intended to give the reader a glimpse into the mind of the narrator, by showing us one of her memories the way she saw it. It shows how genuinely deep her mother’s affection for her was, and (if one is capable of looking past the black and white words in front of them) paints a picture in the reader’s mind, giving it a more personal feeling and allowing us to possibly empathize with the character on some level. Second, I’m not sure how you so completely managed to miss the character’s growth throughout this. In the first letter she is young and immature, and angry at death because she doesn’t understand why it had to take her parents away. In the second letter she has matured a little bit, and is able to come to terms with her grandfather’s death more easily. There is no irrational anger at something she can’t control this time, which is proof of how she’s grown. However, everyone has their limits, no matter how mature, and growth in characters (just like in real life) is not always positive. In the last letter, she is alone. She has witnessed the deaths of the people closed to her over and over, and had to constantly live with the pain. This time, there’s no longer anybody left to be there for her. It says that she didn’t cry because she was beyond that now. It isn’t because she doesn’t care, it’s because she’s reached her breaking point. At this point she’s in so much pain that she’s just shutting down. You may or may not be able to understand this, but sometimes pain is just too big for tears. She’s alone and depressed, and you still honestly didn’t understand why she killed herself?? Maybe hating death and curling up in a fetal position is how you would react, but I highly doubt you’ve ever felt intense pain like the kind described here, otherwise I believe you would be able to understand. It doesn’t surprise me that you said few things you read on here evoke an emotional response, because if you haven’t actually experienced something, then empathy requires having an actual imagination.  

dya.o PLATINUM said...
on Feb. 26 2012 at 9:28 am
dya.o PLATINUM, Milton, Florida
43 articles 0 photos 86 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If consensus is overrated, I think balance is, too.
I have no interest in living a balanced life.
I want a life of adventure.” | Chris Guillebeau

*sniff*sniff* So beautiful!

leafy said...
on Feb. 25 2012 at 12:40 pm
leafy, City, Other
0 articles 0 photos 682 comments

Favorite Quote:
Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

Death is not an entity worth evaluating, it does not acquire compassion, love, it does not judge, and it won't take requests.

It's called personification.

on Feb. 25 2012 at 12:02 pm
Skweekie BRONZE, Notts, Other
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And what would humans be without love?"
"Rare," said Death.
- Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

This is beautiful! I've never been on this site before, never read anything here... you made me join. And made me cry, which is amazing! Thank you, and best wishes in your future writing. Don't ever stop :)

Charlie said...
on Feb. 25 2012 at 5:54 am
I've never been on this website before, but I ended up on this page. And yes, it made me cry. Yes, I now love this website. It is incredibly hard to evoke emotion in such a short piece, but you managed it, and that makes you unique... Don't change. Please. :)

on Feb. 25 2012 at 1:08 am
JessicaRae7 GOLD, Buffalo, New York
14 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Music is the air we breathe." ~Molly Rae Berger
"Being sad is a waste of time." ~Molly Rae Berger
"Girls should never be afraid to be smart." - Emma Watson

There are tears in my eyes as I read this. This was truly just pure raw emotion. It was so moving. Truly beautiful and amazingly written.

firecleansed said...
on Feb. 24 2012 at 1:10 pm
firecleansed, West Jordan, Utah
0 articles 1 photo 60 comments
Though I didnt like it the raw emotion moved me past my personal feelings. It was as though this semi-dialogue answered many peoples emotional depths. I commend you.

on Feb. 24 2012 at 1:44 am
Darkstar6265 GOLD, Centennial, Colorado
10 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everything you have will someday be gone. Even if you don’t miss it now, you probably will later. So take pictures and hide them in your memories so you can recall them later after everything that is becomes everything that was. OR I know you’re hurting, even if it’s just when you’re alone and thoughts seem to rush into your head and you can’t seem to keep them from coming in. But there can be beauty in pain; Even though sometimes it’s hard to see.

I feel for me at least that it's rare to find something that causes an instant but deep emotional hit. And you my friend have written it here. Thanks very much. 

on Feb. 23 2012 at 5:15 pm
shar.ett29 BRONZE, Lexington, Massachusetts
2 articles 2 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Today is where your book begins; the rest is still unwritten."-Natasha Bedingfield

This is captivating and BEAUTIFUL. Great work!!!

on Feb. 22 2012 at 5:59 pm
IfYoureMad-KillWithKindness GOLD, West Grove, Pennsylvania
12 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is like a roller coaster,when you're at the top you fear of falling, when you're at the bottom you want to get to the top."

I nearly cried because it was so beautiful and touching