Dear Death This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Dear Death,

Can you understand love? I seriously doubt that you can; because, if you could, you would have looked into my mother’s eyes when she had turned around to smile at me in the car that day. You would have seen what I had seen: the affection glowing in her hazel gaze and the joy that flitted across her lips. That blissful moment before terror.

You witnessed that love shining like a headlight in our midst, yet still you made our car swerve off the road. And you wrenched my mom and dad from life’s embrace. My embrace, even though I thought I was holding on tightly enough. Why did you take them cruelly in your arms, and stalk past my brother and I? We were in the car too! I’d rather be walking hand in hand with them (wherever you took them after that day) than be left in the dust of life.

When I woke up in the hospital the next obscure morning, white-coated figures told me that they were gone. Through my tears, I made a solemn vow. It was a vow to hate you for the rest of my life. Mom and Dad, gone? You don’t understand love.

Your newest enemy,
Rose

Dear Death,

It’s been a year since I last wrote you, and I have already broken my vow. You took Grandpa yesterday, but he was different. I loved Grandpa in a way that would bring tears to anybody’s eyes. He used to tell me fantasy stories, swearing that they were real. I’d say, “you’re crazy, Grandpa!” He would look really serious and say, “What? You think I’m crazy?” then smile and wink: “maybe a little bit.” He warmed my heart so much.

Cancer, supposedly, was the murderer. But I recognized your aura in the hospital when he called me in to talk. He told me that everything was okay, giving me a smile that I had come to know as my friend. He told me that everything was all right, that there was nothing to fear from you, that he was just moving on, that I would see him in time. His words consoled me, but I cried as he gave my hand a little squeeze. Then I saw his spirit floating like a veil out of the room. I could have sworn that it winked at me.

I broke my vow, because I forgive you.

With love,
Rose

Dear Death,

It has been four years since Grandpa died. My brother has had a really hard life (as have I, for that matter). I had often seen him in his room praying, with tears in his eyes, before he left home to get a job. I guess no one answered his prayers, because I was told this morning that he was found dead after having jumped from his apartment building. This time, I shed no tears. I am beyond that now, even though my big brother is gone.

Before Grandpa called me to his sickbed, I heard him saying to my brother with a smile “teach Rose all that you know after I’m gone.” He has done so, because I’m looking at the noose that I have tied for myself, a foot in front of me. I’m almost ready to walk into your arms, just like my family. Now I have just stepped up onto the chair…

I don’t know how these letters will reach you, but I hope they do.

I want you to see what you have done.

See you soon,
Rose

Dear Rose,

I want you to know that I have read and reread your letters; they were very beautiful. Silver tears line my worn face as I watch you swing slowly like a pendulum from the rope. I also want you to know this: I’m so sorry. But your brother, he had jumped; somebody had to catch him. But I know you loved him. Your grandpa, he shook my hand as I helped him from his deathbed; he knew that it was all okay. And I know that you loved him. As for your parents, I did see that look in your mother’s eyes; and I’m so sorry that she and your father had to leave with me. I know that you loved them. But I am the deliverer; some people must be left behind as I take the others with me.

I remember your first words to me. To answer, I do understand love. I have seen so much, how could I not? But I’m glad you wrote to me and that you will be joining the ones that you care about. I look into your tranquil face and think: this is not the end, Rose.

Your friend,
Death

DanielM said...
i liked it alot. i can realte to this cause i've lost a lot of people in my life sadly. Awesome Job. On suggestion is maybe space them out a little bit more it was a little bit hard to read for me in terms of format. other than that awesome job!!

Aduke9 said...
This is a beautiful, creative, wonderful story. Love it! Thank you.

RainbowChild said...
May 17, 2012 at 7:12 am
I really liked this. It was really powerful. It made me cry. I lloved it.

AliceStuckInReality said...
Oh my God, this is excatly how I felt when I lost two of my best friends this year to death. Really beautiful. Keep writing!!

FakesmileThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

I'm not lieing when i say that teen.ink is lucky to have the work of writers like you. That wasn't different, that wasn't depressing, that wasn't anything words could explain.... Maybe in the very least it was beautiful, but that is still the least of words that could explain. Words except for yours.

When i read this i wanted to cry. Great job and i hope that your other work is as good as this because you can be sure of me reading it! :)

ShadowRealms said...
This was different, but I quite liked it. It was creative and sad, but also beautiful in a way. Nice job.

Express-- This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 12, 2012 at 9:15 am
Mostly good writing; this was something different, something i haven't seen yet on this cite. Very disturbing, but also creative. Good job.

May 12, 2012 at 9:15 am

lamonte said...
This story is emotion and sad but also the best one i read 

FunnyGal13 said...
O my gosh! THAT WAS AMAZING!!:D i felt as if i was writing those letters to Death, it was a very good piece. The way you decirbed what death has done to so many people, it's a sad yet touching story. you have an amazing talent!!! keep writing:)

FangOfTheDevilWolf said...
This is one of the best stories that I've ever read. It's so sad but touching at the same time, and just completely puts the reader into the narrator's mind. I hope that you write more!

Epiclyawesome said...
This is about the third time that I've read this and I love it each time more and more. No wonder it's been on the front page so long! If you don't mind, could you rate and comment my article? I would be very greatful if anyone did.

Rhiannon16 said...
This is stunning. I'm almost at a loss of words, I had chills the entire time I was reading this. I love it.

kyrireeseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Very peculiar. I didn't really like the overall theme. But I enjoyed reading it nonetheless.

AlaskaGrownThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oh my goodness... I'm sitting here crying. That is so sad and really good. 

LivvyGirl said...
This was amazing. Amazing description!! Great Job. Im so sorry about these things you've had to experience.

itgetsbetterbabyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 27, 2012 at 9:25 am
This is beyond amazing. I couldn't take my eyes off of it while reading. Kudos to you, keep writing.

africanprincess said...
I love this artticle, it brought my attention into wanting to read more. I feel like you chose a right topic to write on, death. I myself don't like to see death, but it happens.

klm24 said...
Absoultely amazing. 

bluefadoodle said...
Mar. 23, 2012 at 10:18 am
That was very moving and deep was it true? Just wondering, you are a wonderful writer don't stop bye.