55 Fiction | Teen Ink

55 Fiction

May 21, 2009
By Claire Bush SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
Claire Bush SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

She strolls into the elevator holding her books close. They exchange an instinctive glance before staring at the buttons again. He turns his head, opening his mouth to ask a question that won’t escape. She remains indifferent.
“Here’s my floor.” She steps over the threshold.
He allows his long-lost daughter to slip away again.



The toddler tugs on her mother’s skirt, pointing at the puppy in the window with her sticky finger.
“We can take a look; you’ve behaved today.” The mom leads her daughter to the door.
I’ll finally get my puppy! She grins.
The shopkeeper lifts the puppy into a little boy’s arms as he leaves with his purchase.



He snaps the clasps and buttons on his suit and cautiously lies on the hang-glider. As the summer breeze blows by, his heart pounds like a stampede of elephants. He always wondered what flying feels like. The bird wondered too until they meet. Now they know how a crash landing feels too.



He never liked the carnival much. He sits munching on his cotton candy, trying to drown his dissatisfaction in the sugary wisps. He dreads the jeering clown with balloons and the painted face, yet it slowly creeps closer until it is too late to flee. He jolts off the couch, swearing to never daydream again.

The author's comments:
55 Fictions are short, fully developed stories written in 55 words or less. They usually have a twist of some sort.