Farewell Venice | Teen Ink

Farewell Venice

March 15, 2021
By 1lemay SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
1lemay SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I am whisked away to Venice, but the whole city is painted olive-green. I stand in shock when I see the Grand Canal’s olive-green water. Holy Cow! I am so confused, I have to eat before my brain erupts. I imagine myself at a restaurant, the next thing I know I have a stack of waffles with whipped cream and strawberries so high I can’t see in front of me. I begin to devour the waffles and out of nowhere Jake Gyllenhall says, “Make sure you finish all of that”. A thunderstorm starts brewing. You’ll never guess what happens! It begins to rain olive-green raindrops. The grand canal begins to flood until a trillion gondolas float right on over the wall. I took my dirty white vans and run towards one; avoiding the giant squid on the sidewalk. I begin to paddle, and as I do I pass many other gondolas. In one, I see Theodore Roosevelt singing, “Just a small-town girl, living in a lonely world”. In another I see Colin, drinking a venti iced caramel macchiato. In another gondola, I see Thomas Rhett learning to speak Spanish. He is struggling to pronounce the word regazo. Finally, I stop paddling and realize I rowed all the way to the Atlantic Ocean. Cool Beans! A gregarious unicorn offers me a ride and I gladly accept. The next thing I know, I am back at home and olive-green Venice is gone.


The author's comments:

This is inspired by the work of Harryette Mullen. I tried to mimic her unique writing style while adding my own twist to it.