Mishap in the Hospital | Teen Ink

Mishap in the Hospital

By Kris102 BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Kris102 BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

ACT 1, SCENE 1
The scene opens in a small waiting room at the hospital. There are a few cushioned chairs and a small coffee table piled with magazines. Opposite of the chairs is the front desk where a nurse sits and files her nails. MARTY (MAR) paces back and forth in front of the double doors next to the front desk. He is dressed casually in a t-shirt and jeans but appears worried. MARTY stops only a moment and glances at the nurse. She looks up and smiles then resumes filing her nails. MARTY looks up at a clock on the wall and crosses his arms.

MAR
(Anxiously) Two hours! It’s been two hours since they brought her in? My God what are they doing to her?

MARTY stops pacing and sits on a chair with his head resting on his arms. He yawns and grabs a magazine. He flips a couple of pages then throws the magazine back onto the table.

Why me? Why Katie? (To nurse) Why Katie?

The nurse opens her mouth to answer, but suddenly DR. WILLARD (WIL) pushes through the double doors.

WIL
(Shouting) Nurse? Fetch me Mr. Benz please!

MAR
(Rises from chair) Doctor, I’m Mr. Benz, just call me Marty.

WIL
Ah! (Adjusts glasses) Oh there you are Mister… I mean, Marty. I’m Dr. Willard, come with me into the hallway please.

ACT 1, SCENE 2
The scene opens in a plain white hallway. Doors line the sides. DR. WILLARD leads MARTY to a door and stands in front of it. He pulls a clipboard off the door and examines it carefully.

WIL
My, my, my! This is quite troublesome! This clipboard tells me that your wife was in a terrible accident!

MAR
Yes, Dr. Willard she was in a…

WIL
(Interrupts) Silence! The clipboard will tell all!(Looks at clipboard) Please continue.(Holds clipboard to ear) Yes, yes, oh do tell! Really? Why thank you!

(To MARTY) Marty! The clipboard told me that your wife was in a car accident! She also suffered internal bleeding and some broken limbs, but the good news is you’ll be able to nurse her back to health until she can stand on her own two feet again! Oh, wait.

MAR
What? (Pause) Doctor? (Hysterically) Answer me!

WIL
I’m afraid she doesn’t quite have one of her feet!

MAR
(Shouts) What? Katie lost a foot? How? When? Oh man.(Faints)

WIL
Oh my. Nurse! Prepare a bed for this nice young man here would you? (Bends over to feel MARTY’S pulse)

MAR
(Confused) What happened? (Rubs forehead) Ooh my head!

WIL
What a speedy recovery! (Shouts) Never mind nurse! So m’boy, do you feel better?

MAR
Oh man! Katie! Well can I see her? She must be terrified!

WIL
I suppose you could, but be quiet if she’s sleeping! Poor thing’s been in so much pain already that she needs her rest.

MAR
Thanks Doc! (Opens door and enters room)

ACT 2, SCENE 1
The scene opens in a small hospital room. There is a chair next to the bed. MARTY tiptoes into the room and sits in the chair. There is a figure resting under the covers, but her face is covered with the blanket. MARTY looks at the blanket and begins to talk to himself.

MAR
(Speaking softly to himself) Poor Katie! I wonder what her foot looks like. I mean her…stub. (Stares at blankets) But I want to see it so bad! (Pauses to think) I know! I’ll just sneak a peek before she wakes up!

MARTY slowly moves his hand toward the blanket and carefully lifts it up. The figure under the blankets moves and stares at MARTY.

PATIENT
(Drowsily) Is that you doctor? My foot must look like is got chewed up by a… (Stops speaking abruptly and screams) Who are you? You’re not the doctor at all! Help! Nurse! Doctor Willard!

MARTY screams in fright then faints again, DR. WILLARD enters the room with some nurses who calm the PATIENT. The PATIENT is not Katie at all, but an elderly woman. DR. WILLARD slaps MARTY’S face. He wakes up and rubs his cheek.

WIL
Marty! I guess I forgot that this was Mrs. Catherine’s room!

MAR
Doc I just freaked out an old lady! How could you mix up the room numbers?

WIL
It wasn’t me Marty! It was the clipboard I tell you! It lied to us! (Glances at clipboard on the door, seizes it, and shakes it in his hands) I can’t believe you lied to me, you monster! Is this just a joke to you? (Holds clipboard up to ear and purses his lips) Don’t you dare use that tone of voice with me mister! Stop that laughing!

DR.WILLARD continues to argue with the clipboard while a nurse leads MARTY to Katie’s room.