A Story | Teen Ink

A Story

By Finngiant GOLD, Tempe, Arizona
Finngiant GOLD, Tempe, Arizona

Don't bother arguing with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

In a white room, with a small white desk, a small white chair, a mirror, and a large white door was a man. This man was thinking. About what, we do not know.

“I’m thinking about how much I’d like you to shut up.” the small man said.  

This man, of very low intellect, was-

“You know I can hear everything you can say, right?”

Was thinking about how much he would like to get out of this room, as he was getting awfully bored of it, so much so, that-

“Is this how you talk all the time? Do you start conversations by going “And then, The Guy Who Always Talks In Third Person Entered The Room, And Everyone Got Immediately Annoyed!”

You know, I always try and be professional about this sort of thing, but you really don't seem to get it.

“You said I had low intelligence!”

Intellect.

“What?”

I said you had low intellect.

“Does it matter!?”

Look, we both have our roles to play. Character, and Narrator. All I want to accomplish is to fulfill my role.

“Sigh. Alright.”

Thank you. Now, where were we? Ah, yes. The Room.

So, this man was in a room. In the room was a white desk, with 2 drawers in it. In front of it was a small, white chair, upon which the man was sitting. Behind the man, on the wall, hung a white mirror. On the other side of the room was a large, white door. The door had a small, black hole in its center. Its knob had a small keyhole below it.

“Ok, so what do I do now?”

Well, that's up to you, isn’t it? I just announce all that you do.

“Oh. Right.”

The man stood up from the little chair and opened one of the drawers of the desk. In it, was a small, black disc. It looked like it would fit the hole in the door.

“Well, that is convenient. Almost like it was put there to fulfill some very specific purpose. Huh.”

The man picked up the little disc and walked over to the door. Standing on his toes, he managed to stick the disc into the little hole, making a satisfying click as it fit perfectly. The man stood there for a moment until a loud clack alerted him, and, looking down, saw a small, grey rock lying on the floor, as if out of nowhere.

“What the? This wasn’t here before. You really are taking the easy way out of this whole thing, aren’t you?”  

I don’t write these stories, I just narrate them.  

“Fair enough.”

The man picked up the rock and turned back around to face the desk. He strode past it and gazed into the mirror. Seeing nothing, he sighed.

“You’re too lazy to even give me a real face? Really?”  

Again, I don’t write these.   

“Ugh.”

The man looked back at the mirror, then his hand, which held the rock. Realising this was what the narrator wanted him to do, he decided to not do the obvious. Then, remembering that he was stuck in this room until he moved things along, he threw the rock at the mirror.

The mirror broke into a thousand shards, conveniently not hitting the man at all, even though he was standing only a few feet away. Behind the mirror was a small compartment. In the compartment was a little box.

“Hmm. I assume this is important?”

Very.

“Well then, let's see what's inside.”

The man opened the box, finding a little key. The key didn’t look like it matched the one on the door, but it did seem to match the one on the desks other drawer.

“I suppose in a room with only 4 real items, things will be rather straightforward.”

Stepping back over to the desk, the man slid the key into the hole on the drawer. Hearing a little click, the man pulled the drawer open. He found a-

“Make your own key kit? Seriously?”

Give the Writer a break, he's making this at midnight, he can’t think of anything clever.

“Ugh. Alright, but I don’t have to like it.”

A few hours later……

After a frustrating couple of hours, the man had finished his key. It was supposed to fit any lock, and the man, getting very irritated at this point, was really hoping it would work.

“Alright, time to see if this stupid thing will actually work.”

The man strode over to the door, key in hand. He stuck the key in the lock, and looking back at the room, turned the key. The door opened.

“Wait, what happens after I go through the door?”

Well, we’ll just have to go and see, won’t we?

The man stood there and blinked. Looking at the door, he stepped through, and into the story.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Well, I think that was a bit rushed.”

Yeah.

I just woke up at midnight and wrote this. I don't know why.