Awake | Teen Ink

Awake

March 9, 2018

My eyes shot open the bright white light blinding me. “Alison stay with me, try to stay awake you’re going to be okay.” An unfamiliar voice said to me groggily. Where am I, what happened? I wanted to ask the unfamiliar voice but I couldn’t, I tried with all my might to sit up to see where I was but it was as if all of world's weight was pushing down on my body. I started drifting off the light getting dimmer and dimmer the chaotic sounds fading off into the distance becoming softer and softer.
3 days before
“Did you guys hear, the swell of the decade is coming in two days on the north shore. The news reporters said that the waves are supposed to be 6-15 feet. What do you guys say are you down to go ride some gnarly waves with me and my brothers?” Chase asked to me and my best friend Scarlett.
“Maybe if you invite your hot friend Koa, then Alison and I will consider it.” Scarlett said. Scarlett has been crushing on Koa from afar since freshman year, but she has never had enough guts to actually have a conversation with him. I however don’t care if Koa or Scarlett go, because the one person I truly want to spend time with is Chase. We have been best friends since sixth grade and i have always thought he was gorgeous, he has sandy blonde hair, green eyes, and tan skin. It wasn’t until freshman year that i realized that i am in love with him, but he doesn’t feel the same way, he has always thought of me as a sister.
“Well it’s not like we have anything better to do.” I said, hoping that Scarlett will agree.
“Yeah you’re right I guess but Chase you still better invite Koa. Okay?” Scarlett acknowledged.
“Yes! We are going to be ripping it guys, it’s gonna be a blast, oh and also after we go surfing there is going to be a huge rager at Blake's’ house, his parents are both off on business trips for a week. You both should come everyone is going to be there.” Chase insisted.
“I don’t know if my parents will let me i have a competition the day after and they won’t let me stay out late.” I said.
“Yeah I understand Ms. Professional Surfer.” Chase said sarcastically.
“Well I better get going.” I told them
“Yeah me too” said Scarlett.
After I left Chase’s house I went straight home to tell my parents about our plans. “ So after surfing Chase and I are just going to hang out at Scarlett’s if that’s okay.” I lied to them, I decided that I was just going to go to the party at Blake’s for a few hours and I would be home by 9.
“Okay well that sounds fine just be careful out there I heard that the waves were going to be pretty big.” My mom said in a concerned voice.
“Yeah I know Chase was telling me and Scar that they are supposed to be 6-15 feet, but it will be good practice for my comp.”
“Well I guess you’re right, I am just always worried about you Ali even though you’re already a senior.”
“I know I appreciate it, but anyways all of the plans will work out?”
“Yes it’s fine with me and i will talk to your dad about it later.”
“Thanks mom, goodnight, love you.”
“Love you too.”
10 hours before
The next morning I woke up bright and early and headed to Scarlett’s to see if she wanted to help me train for my competition that was coming up in three days. Scarlett and I live only a few blocks away from each other. We both have got beachfront houses so we are always in the water we basically have lived half of our lives in the warm waters of Hawaii. Once I got to Scarlett’s house I went straight to her room. “Wake up, Wake up, Scarlett Wake up!” I whispered loudly in her ear, but of course it didn’t even make her wake up any little bit. Next I jump on her bed and she groans. “Can you get up please?!” I say.
“What do you want?” she says half asleep still.
“I want you to come with me to go surfing.”
“Can’t you ask somebody else I’m too tired.”
“Fine but I was planning on inviting Chase and I’m sure he would invite Koa.” I said. Right when the name Koa came out of my mouth Scarlett blasted up and hopped right out of bed.
“C’mon let’s go what are you waiting for?” Scarlett screamed at me from across the house already about to walk out the front door.
“Okay I’m coming, and before you tell me I will call Chase right now.”
“Good and don’t forget to mention to Chase to invite Koa.”
I called Chase and he said that Koa and him were going to come.
“You better not be awkward in front of Koa like you always do.” I teased Scarlett.
“I do not get awkward!” Scarlett argued.
“Yeah you kind of do everybody notices it.”
“Whatever you want to think”
Scarlett and I got to the beach before the boys. We walked down and we went to the water first, the waves were already big and it was firing, after that we waxed our surfboards, put on our bathing suits and waited for the guys but they are always lagging. We decided to paddle out, it takes a while to paddle out to where the actual waves are because there’s a long stretch of reef. Once we got out to where the waves were we decided to paddle out past them and wait for the guys to come. After waiting for what seemed like forever they finally came. It’s always so much more fun with them here with us.
“Hey how long have you ladies been out here for?” Koa asked.
“Long enough for our fingers to get all pruny.” I said
“Well let’s get surfing!” Scarlett yelled right into my ear.
The waves were absolutely amazing. It definitely was the swell of the decade. One of the waves i caught was perfect it was the wave that everyone ever dreams of riding. It was about 10 feet tall, it was glassy and smooth, i dropped in and made a bottom cut to the right, after that i made a sharp cutback on the lip of the wave, then a perfect barrel was formed and I just cruised right in and out of it perfectly. When i paddled back to where everybody was they all said that was the best wave they have ever seen. We were all burnt out and ready to go back to shore and pack up and leave. Scarlett and I went back to her house to get ready for the party.
“Are you excited to party with Koa?” I asked Scarlett on the way back to her house.
“I’ve been waiting since freshman year, I have planned and thought about this moment at least a million times.” Scarlett said with complete confidence.
“Well then I will leave you two alone and try to tell Chase how i actually feel before I go off to college.”
“Yes we are both going to get our guys tonight.”
We got back to Scarlett’s house and got ready for the party. I wore a red crop top and white short-shorts. We all got to Blake's house at the same time, the whole house was already filled up it looked like the whole school was already there.
“Hey guys, whats up!” Blake said, greeting us at the door.
“Hi Blake awesome party you got going here.” Koa said
“Yeah it’s pretty rad huh, good thing my parents are going to be gone for six more things. Well the drinks are inside take as much as you want it is a party after all.” Blake said.
We all went inside and said hi to all of our friends. The party was definitely a rager there were people dancing on all of the tables, people jumping from the top of the stairs, and people outback playing beer-pong and drinking upside down on keg stands.
“Oh my gosh this party is so crazy!” I yelled into Chase’s ear.
“I know right, wanna go dance after we have a few drinks?” Chase asked.
“Yeah sure.”
After having a few shots and three beers we went to where everybody was dancing at. We danced together for what seemed like an hour, we were getting very close and touchy. I felt it, this was the time to tell Chase how I really felt about him.
“Hey Chase can we go talk?” I asked him.
“Yeah sure let's go.”
We went up to one of the rooms upstairs where it was quieter.
“So what’s up?” he asked, looking concerned.
“There’s something that I really need to get off my chest.” I said, starting to feel very nervous.

“Okay?”
“I have had feelings for you since freshman year, and not just like oh i think you’re cute feelings but like I am in love with you feelings, and i was hoping that you felt the same way.”
He didn’t answer for a good minute and when he finally did he said “I’m sorry i don't feel the same way, we have been best friends forever and i never thought of you anymore than just a sister.” Oh no there it was my worst nightmare ever the thing that i was scared would happen the most, he doesn’t feel the same way and now our friendship will never be the same. I couldn’t bear it, I stormed out of the room crying not knowing what to say. I went and found Scarlett who was even more drunk than I was.
“We have to go right now!” I cried to her.
“Why what happened?” she asked.
“Chase doesn’t feel the same way about me, he told me he only thought of me as a sister and nothing else.”
“Oh no honey I’m so sorry, I will drive us home right now.”
We got to her car and she struggled even putting in the keys to unlock the car. Finally she unlocked the car and started it. We left at 10:00 when i was supposed to be home by 9:00. How had time slipped past me so fast? Scarlett was driving recklessly, she missed like two stop signs, made three turns without slowing down or using her blinker and was driving 80 mph.
“Scarlett you need to slow down!” i screamed.
“We are fine, I’m not even going fast.”
“We are going to crash!”
“No we aren’t we are fine Ali.”

That’s when I saw a big rig straight ahead of us.

“Scarlett!” I screamed
Present
“Clear!”
“We are going to lose her!”
“She has lost a lot of blood!”
“We need to call her parents somebody needs to call her parents right now!”
I was suddenly awaken and was blinded by the bright lights of the hospital.
“Where am I? Where’s Scarlett?” I asked
“You’re friend is okay but we need to focus on you right now.” said one of the many doctors that were hovering over me.
“We have to take you to surgery right now.” said one of the other doctors.
After that they put one of those masks that you breathe into to make you fall asleep before surgery and i don’t remember anything else.
“Okay, she is internally bleeding in her abdomen and chest, we need to get in there right now or else she is going to die.” said Doctor Martinez.
“She also has a brain bleed in her frontal lobe, I have to get in there first.” Doctor Smith exclaimed.
“No her heart is bleeding right now it’s too weak to handle any other surgery.” Doctor Martinez argued back.
“Fine whatever just do it fast and if this girl dies it’s on you.” said Doctor Smith said.
“Okay scalpel.” Doctor Martinez said.
As Dr. Martinez sliced into Ali’s skin blood started pouring everywhere.
“I need lap pads right now!” Dr. Martinez shouted.
The heart monitor started accelerating and that’s when there was a long “beeeeeeepppppp” that wouldn’t stop.
“She’s coding start CPR!” Doctor Smith yelled.
One of the nurses started CPR, but it was too late. Ali was gone. “Time of death, 10:51.”