Stranded Deep | Teen Ink

Stranded Deep

By Dylanp BRONZE, Dracut, Massachusetts
Dylanp BRONZE, Dracut, Massachusetts

“This is your captain, brace for impact.” Those words are still stuck in my head, and now I am stranded on a float in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. I see an island in the distance, so I start using my hand as a paddle. I get to the island, and look around. There is a small beach area that I am on now, but then you look into the island and there is only thick woods. A  path appears and I follow it. It opens up as you get deeper into the woods. It leads to this patch of open land with a few bushes, and only a few trees. Someone has to have been here before, this looks man made. I go back to the small beach area, pull the raft onto the island and sit down. It is cold, and to make things worse it is windy. I don't think of the fact I could be here for a while, I just sit there like Im waiting for rescue. After a few hours it starts going dark. I see in the distance, a blurry image. It came closer, so I hid behind a tree. I poked my head out and saw a person just throw their body down on the island. He had a suit on and it was soaked. I hid behind the tree again.

“What are you doing here!”

“Hello, who's there? Help me!”

“Answer the question!”

“I just found this island, I was in a crash. I just want to go home.”

“What kind of a crash?”

“A boat crash. We saw a plane go down, so we went over to help, but our boat got hooked on a part of the plane, and it sank.”

“Wait, I didn't see a boat.” I came out from behind the tree.

“We were at the back of the plane, because the front was going under already.”

“I was on that plane. I got a raft and got the hell out of there. Were there a lot of survivors?”

“We were only there for five minutes before the boat sank. I have been swimming for about twenty minutes.”
“Can I ask why you were on a boat in a full suit?”

“ I am part of the crew. It was a yacht. The owner did not make it.”

We sat there in silence for a minute. He looked around. I didn't trust this guy. I hadn't seen a boat when the plane went down. If I had I would have gone towards it, but I hadn't even heard one. I'm not a killer, but I would if I had to survive.

“Where is your stuff?” He studied me.

“When the plane went down, I was able to get out, but I never got anything to help me.”

“No, like your fire, and food don't you know you could be here for a while?”

“I never thought of that. I was just thinking how lucky I am to be alive.”

“You're not going to be alive if you don't start to gather supplies and food. Let's go.”

He got up, took his sports coat off and hung it up on a branch, then passed me and started gathering wood. I felt like he was trying to take control of the situation. I did not like it. I went to my raft and sat down. I was freezing cold, and starting to get hungry. I watched him for a while. He was trying to start a fire. He must have done this before, or have watched some survival video, or something.

“Well it looks like we are not having a fire tonight.” He stood up.

“That's fine, we could just start over tomorrow.”

The thing that bothered me the most was that he, too, had been involved with some sort of crash but he was so calm. Nothing worried him. This was a walk in the park for him.

The next morning I wake up and can't find this man anywhere. I look around the whole island, and I see him chopping down trees. He made a nice clear area.

“Hello, what are you doing?”

He scratched his head.

“Oh, hey! I just found this old rusty saw, and I thought I would clear some room for a bigger camp if you will.”
“Ya, that's great. Good job, I’m going to see if I can find anything else.”

I walked away in a hurry. I don't know what time it is but he did a lot in a morning. I still don't trust this guy, but he seems to know what he is doing. I guess I will just have make the best out of a bad situation. I went back to the small beach area, and looked at what we had: a beat up raft, our clothes, and a old saw. Well that doesn't help a lot.I guess I will just bring the raft to  the clearing he made. We could use it as a roof or something. I brought the raft back, and he was gone again. I guess this is how he is. I put the raft up against a tree to let it dry in the sun.

“Boo!” The man yelled.

“What the hell! What are you doing?”

“Relax, i'm just trying to have some fun.”

“Fun? That's your idea of fun? Listen I don't know you, and you are coming up behind me and yelling at me with a saw. I don't know where you came from, I think your lying, and we need to figure this out now, before we can move on”

“Okay, let's sit down and talk. Come sit”

I sat down with a little hesitation. I did not know what to expect. Was he crazy? He could have been lying. He took a deep breath and let it out.

“So, let me just first say this is weird.” He scratched his head. “We have been on this island for just over a day. We don't even know each other's name. Let's start over. This is your captain speaking.”

“You´re the pilot? How did you survive the crash, why did you make up that…”

“Stop it right now! I will explain everything, just sit down and shut up.”

I sat down with some fear. He was mad that I asked him questions. I truly thought he was going to hurt me.
“I made up that story because I didn't want to tell you the truth. I am still having a hard time accepting the truth myself. I crashed the plane. The day before that flight my wife killed herself. She couldn't live with cancer anymore. She didn't think she could beat it.”

“I'm so sorry.”

He wiped his tears from his face and continued.

“My daughter died from a car crash a few years back. Everyone around me is dying and I couldn't live with that anymore. So I tried to take my own life. It was a perfect plan, I don't know why it didn't work. I made sure that the plane ran out of gas, and I made it go out of control. When we landed I got knocked out for a while. I woke up in this life raft with my co-pilot. He was dead. I don't know how long we were on it for, but there were no supplies on it. Then a few hundred yards out my raft hit a sharp rock. It was losing air fast. That's when I saw this island and I started swimming towards it.¨

At this point I didn't know what to say I wanted to feel bad for him, but he killed a lot of people and that is not okay. I can't kill him or anything like that, but he deserves to be put in jail and lose his job at the minimum. There is just one problem, we are in the middle of nowhere and i'm on an island with a killer. So I walked away and started planning a way to be seen or get rescued. The first thing that I thought about is making a fire that makes a lot of black smoke so it can be seen. As I was gathering wood I dug it into the sand and wrote the letters SOS nice and big so it can be seen from the sky. I got my single fire ready with lots of grass and wood and some sort of rubbery rope. It is thick and black so I am hoping that is will make some thick black smoke. I fell to the floor from exhaustion. I didn't know what else I could do to get off of this stupid island. The pilot walked up to me and took a seat next to me.

¨What are you going to do if we get off this island?¨ He scratched his head.

I did not know if I should tell him the truth or just lie or just sit there and say nothing. I went with the third choice. Then all of a sudden we see this little boat on the horizon. I run to light the fire and I start jumping up and down and trying to make as much noise as possible. I couldn't really tell if it was coming closer or going away. But then I realized that it was getting bigger and bigger. It was coming for us! I ran around the island one more time real quick to make sure there was nothing that we wanted to leave behind. I did not see anything. I ran back out to the beach and saw the boat leaving. I was running after it and then I see the pilot waving goodbye at me. I thought that was my way out of here but they went into deep water and there was no way I was keeping up with it. I went back to the island and I started crying. I just did not know what to do anymore. I wanted to think that they would send help back for me but I just don't see it coming. I open my eyes and I see this human figure start walking towards me.

This piece is about just gettinglost and learning about your self. What you can do as a human being, and how far you can push your self.