Professional Criminals | Teen Ink

Professional Criminals

By WillCarpenter BRONZE, Wake Forest, North Carolina
WillCarpenter BRONZE, Wake Forest, North Carolina

I awoke to the sound of frantic barking. I could tell that the dog was about medium size and relatively young. Nobody lived near me and my isolated cabin so I was unfamiliar with loud noises. I prefered the quiet hum of peaceful wind to the loud noises of the busy town. I was the sheriff of the town so I enjoyed some peace and quiet away from work. The dog wouldn't stop barking and it sounded close so I got out of bed to investigate. I opened the front door which was where the sound seemed to be coming from. As soon as I did a black and white sheep dog ran right through the door. It’s barking ceased. That’s when I noticed a note dangling from it’s collar. The note read: “Help I’ve been kidnaped! I’m somewhere upstream the red river.” As the sheriff of the town I had dealt with a number of dangerous situations but our town had never experienced any kidnappings, although crime was on the rise. Quickly, I put on my boots and jacket and headed through the door. Then I went back inside, having forgot my pistol and shotgun. I thought, ‘better safe than sorry when you’re going after kidnappers’. 

The harsh winter cold of the colorado rocky mountains hit my face as I stepped outside. The sun, just rising, was low in the sky and it’s shimmering rays reflected of off the fresh fallen snow. The dog’s tracks were still fresh but it was snowing so I had to act fast. I followed it’s tracks alongside the long winding the frozen red river and the dog followed me. The snow began to fall so hard that I couldn't even see the towering mountains before me. Any sign of the dog’s tracks were gone, but it didn't matter because the dog knew the way. I was just about to give up and turn back, then I saw it. A huge cabin at least twice the size of mine, with smoke coming from multiple chimneys drifting away along the mountainside. I had never been there or seen the cabin before.

We approached the cabin, then suddenly the dog started barking like he had before. To large men, both armed, came out the door. I jumped behind a nearby tree before they could see me through the heavy falling snow. The men came closer and realised that the dog was alone.

“Stupid dog, can’t even deliver a simple note!” cried the smaller man with frustration.

Then the dog came over to where I was and started barking again. “Hold on a minute I think we got something over here.” said the larger man.

But I wasn't going to get caught that easily. Once I knew it was a trap I began climbing the tree. By the time they walked over to the tree I was already more than twenty feet above them. After the men didn't find me, the men came to the conclusion that the dog was after a squirrel. They then proceeded to return to their cabin, taking the more than reluctant dog with them. As the walked back inside I slowly climbed down the tree, catching my breath, and tried to slow my racing heart. In all my years of sheriffing I had never been in a situation so dangerous before. I had hoped to have a quiet, restful saturday but a sheriff's job is never done. I decided then and there that the world of crime had outgrown me. I was to old to be running through the snow and climbing trees. I decided that this would be my last job as sheriff of the town.I also decided that I was going to go out on a good note. Nothing could stand between me and putting these dangerous men behind bars.

I sat out in the cold pondering my next move. These men were expecting me and they didn’t seem like they were going to just talk with me. They were trying to get rid of the sheriff. Well I had news for them, the law never dies. Then the two men came back out with their dog, still holding their guns. They looked around for a minute, then opened the door again and two more men came through the door holding big black bags that seemed pretty heavy. The men with the bags got into a truck and the larger man got into the driver’s seat. The smaller man went back inside. The dog started walking toward me again. But it’s master, the large man called the dog. The dog hesitated for a moment, turned it’s head and ran and hopped into the truck. The man sped away down the icy unpathed road down the mountain for whatever reason.

I decided to return home and come back later that night with more men. We would surprise them and outnumber them when they're all together. So I went home,  made some calls, and devised a plan. The rest of the police officers, a few armed men, and I went up to the cabin late that night. To our surprise the door was unlocked. Cautiously we entered the house. The fire’s coals were dying out.  We searched the dark house in silence, but they were gone. We couldn’t find them anywhere. Frustrated, I told them to keep looking while I went outside.

As I opened the door I heard someone shout: “RUN!”. Immediately after that a booming sound hit my ears and a bright light surrounded me. It pushed me through the door, across the porch, and into the snow. When I woke up my ears were ringing and I saw what little was left of the cabin. My back was burning and at the same time I was freezing cold. It was a very strange and painful sensation. All I could think was that it was my fault. I had brought them here. As a sheriff I was supposed to keep people safe. Instead, I lead them to their death. But the job wasn’t done. I promised myself that I would avenge them.